Cleaning a keyboard?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The inside of my Pro Keyboard is a mess. Lots of hair and dust and various other nastiness. Is there any easy way to clean all that crap out? (And when I say inside I mean like under the plastic between the main keys and the keypad, and in the bottom, etc.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    google is your friend... as is the search function on these boards...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Yeah, I believe there have been some other posts about this.

In short, you just need an allen wrench to remove the little screws from the back and something flat like a butter knife or screwdriver to pop off the keys.

edit: okay, I did the dirty work for ya. Here's a link:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=&postid=98441
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Thanks Brad. I actually had meant to use search, 'cause I figured it had come up, then just completely forgot about it when I posted.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    I've used a vacuum cleaner w/ the brush attachment for cleaning furniture--worked great.

Spilled water on it once, so I took it apart to dry it faster. I was able to get at more crevices to clean out dust 'n dirt, but still the vacuum method is easier and faster.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Firehose + Ajax
  • Reply 6 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    just, please, for the love of peet and everything holy, don't use your mouth. please!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Hi,

I use the dish washer.

I only put some plastic cover over the end of the cable and of it goes into the dish washer. After that I let it dry for a couple of days.

Worked fine for my IBM and Mic***oft keyboard. Unfourtionatly I don't have a Mac yet and don't know if a mac keyboard will suffer (for example: loose the writings on the buttons or won't funktion at all)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    this will work fine... just will take a while to dry... you dont even need to cover the usb ports...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

this will work fine... just will take a while to dry... you dont even need to cover the usb ports...

Mega-bump...

Is this dishwasher thing a joke? And what about a sink instead?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    It's for real.

I haven't tried it with my Apple BT Keyboard, but it worked as described with my other keyboards. You just need to be sure that the Keyboard dries completely.

It should work the same way in the sink, but you always need to be prepared for the worst. So don't blame us when your keyboard doesn't survive the procedure.

A feedback after you have done it would be nice.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Look here