Missing Safari feature found in FireFox

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
There is a feature i love in firefox that i miss in Safari. In Firefox (and Konquer on RedHat Linux for that matter) had the feature where if you have 2 or more tabs open and try to close (not force quite but close) the window it will ask if you are sure.

I have begun to use Tabs a lot more and the other day, at least twice, i closed all of my tabs when i really meant to just close the one. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Yep, use Command-W instead of clicking the close window button.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I miss that feature in safari as well. I hate when I accidentally close the window and all the tabs when I only meant to close one time. Yes Command-W works but so does clicking the little X in the corner of the tab.

The problem is when you accidentally close the entire window. Safari should deffinetly add this feature.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Posting on apple insider isn't really going to get anywhere with this. Submit feedback to apple:

www.apple.com/feedback
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    i know it wasn't going to get me anywhere but i was hoping that someone knew a hack or somehting or if there was no solution. it feels good to rant every once in a while
  • Reply 5 of 21
    i never have this problem because i always use cmd-w

keyboard shortcuts = POWER
  • Reply 6 of 21
    krisnephkrisneph Posts: 143member
    You never had that problem ?

Well I use command-w all the time, but on my 12 in powerbook sometimes I accidently hit command-q which is the next key over.

So I can understand how that can be a problem.

Safari should ask you if you want to quit instead of just quitting and closing a your tabs
  • Reply 7 of 21
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

Well I use command-w all the time, but on my 12 in powerbook sometimes I accidently hit command-q which is the next key over.

So I can understand how that can be a problem.

Safari should ask you if you want to quit instead of just quitting and closing a your tabs

Exactly. I never use the widgets and always use keyboard commands. Unfortunately though, 'w' is right next to 'q' and sometimes you hit the wrong key or just graze 'q' enough to enact that command. I love Firefox for this very reason. Safari should ask also.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

Exactly. I never use the widgets and always use keyboard commands. Unfortunately though, 'w' is right next to 'q' and sometimes you hit the wrong key or just graze 'q' enough to enact that command. I love Firefox for this very reason. Safari should ask also.

OmniWeb quits straight away, but if you then open it again, the same pages are open. Saves accidents but without getting annoying in normal use

BTW, you think you have it bad - on a Dvorak keyboard, the Q is where the X is on a QWERTY keyboard. Think about pressing the left command key with your thumb - better make sure you don't hit it a bit too high!

Amorya
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    not to get too off topic here but why would you use a DVORAK (or whatever it is called) keyboard?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

not to get too off topic here but why would you use a DVORAK (or whatever it is called) keyboard?

Its faster?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

with a simple search...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=18217
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

There is a feature i love in firefox that i miss in Safari. In Firefox (and Konquer on RedHat Linux for that matter) had the feature where if you have 2 or more tabs open and try to close (not force quite but close) the window it will ask if you are sure.

I have been using the Taboo plugin for Safari for quite some time now. It does exactly what you are wanting.

http://www.ocdev.com/
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

I have been using the Taboo plugin for Safari for quite some time now. It does exactly what you are wanting.

Thanks. I had actually found that (from Macosxhints.com) and i couldn't find this thread to post an update. It is great software isn't it?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I rarely close windows accidentally, however every now and again I'll accidentally hit Command-Q rather than Command-W. In a normal editor app, it will prompt me to save the document, so I can cancel the quit operation, however Safari gladly closes all active windows and tabs.

I don't want to be prompted, I just want Safari to remember its state so that when I reopen it, it will reload the windows and tabs I had open previously.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Thanks. I had actually found that (from Macosxhints.com) and i couldn't find this thread to post an update. It is great software isn't it?

It is most definitely a good piece of software. It has saved me on numerous occasions when I hit Cmd-Q with Safari open.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I rarely close windows accidentally, however every now and again I'll accidentally hit Command-Q rather than Command-W. In a normal editor app, it will prompt me to save the document, so I can cancel the quit operation, however Safari gladly closes all active windows and tabs.

I don't want to be prompted, I just want Safari to remember its state so that when I reopen it, it will reload the windows and tabs I had open previously.

I agree 100%, that's what should happen, with other apps too. In the browser, everything including content of user-editable textboxes should be filled to their previous status. It's just crude if you want to shut down the computer or something and apps start sticking save/abandon dialogs in your face. Nothing says that a computer shutdown is related to the workflow or creative process being over. With 20 tabs in Firefox, I have resorted to saving the whole set to a bookmark just in case there's an important address in there. Needless to say, the next time I have touched those bookmarks was always to delete the previous set before saving another. Even if there was something important, I will have forgotten that there are stored bookmarks by the time I boot up again, so I'll navigate to the same pages manually again.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Missing Safari feature found in FireFox:

STABILTY! Safari crashes more frequently then Lindsay Lohan.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

Beat me to it.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

There is no unsaved document left open if you (randomly)

have quit Safari. So "Quit" means "quit", plain and simple.

No nagging dialog window popping up

ala "Are you sure to quit blabla." This would not be informative

anyway - rather bothering.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Missing Safari feature found in FireFox:

STABILTY! Safari crashes more frequently then Lindsay Lohan.

Then I don't know what is wrong with my Firefox. That is why I switched TO Safari, Firefox crashed constantly.

I only wish Safari wouldn't open a bookmark manager when you click the bookmark button. If it opened a side window like in Firefox where you can CMD click bookmarks into a new tab, instead of the manager taking over the page you were looking at I would stick with Safari, no questions asked.

I used to be big into to extensions in Firefox but since I don't use them much anymore I have no problem with Safari besides the whole bookmark thing.