New Hard-drive + Driver

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Configuring a 280GB external hard drive for MS-Dos to use between Windows XP and an Apple - how do I get the driver disc to run in the Apple OS?

The disc loads up okay, but I still haven't found out how to run the applications within the disc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Um, don't.

You don't need those drivers for OS X, and they are optional for PC.

If you have some Backup software like some external drives have, it may be a good idea to use that.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Ebby,

If I don't have the driver, then how will my Windows PC read anything on the external drive?

I can't set it up on Windows, so I'm trying to set it up on the Apple.

help?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    You need to partition the disk and then format the partitions. To do that you can use Disk Utility in mac, it can be found in applications/utilities. Or in windows 2000/XP you can do the same in control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management. For use in both operting systems, it's preferred to format the disk to Fat32. Usually with external disks and modern windows or mac you don't need any special drivers.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Windows already has a standard ATA/IDE driver for hard drives. The biggest problem I have with hard drives and windows is assigning a drive letter to make it show up.

If you have a extra PCI card (IDE, SATA, Firewire, USB) you are installing, that will need drivers, but I've never had to install a driver to USE a hard drive.