Why are people complaining?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've been seeing numerous amounts of negativity about this new iPod. I think it is great. I was planning to buy one even before it came out, but with all the negativity its brought me down. So, is this really a disappointment, or is the negativity coming from anal nerds who will find something wrong with it to complain about??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Not for me. I really, really want one but I just signed a $1800+ cheque for a credit card bill and I must restrain myself.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    the biggest bummer to me was when he said..."iMacs are shipping today"....then he goes...."the iPod video will be shipping next week"....uugh what a bummer...i waited for this conference, then they come out with a new ipod now i have to wait a whole nother week. Eeeh, well it will be worth it...........So does anyone know why there is so much negativity?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    It seems to mostly be people getting their panties in a bunch about the lack of firewire.

Get over it!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I've never encountered a more unhappy bunch than the average Apple loving forum participant... seems nothing makes them happy.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    pinopino Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

It seems to mostly be people getting their panties in a bunch about the lack of firewire.

Get over it!

Not to totally derail this thread, but I think the firewire complaint is a valid one.

As a first time Mac user (second gen iMac), I enjoy everything about my Mac and iPods, but where are you supposed to plug all of this stuff in? Everything else is using USB (such as keyboard, printer, camera, Shuffle,or UPS) and that leaves no more ports for now USB only iPods.

Solutions anyone?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    According to an article on digg.com, Firewire works but a cable is simply not included. Anybody back that up?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    its just rediculous! on cnet the reviews from people are not good. the average given is a 6.5....????? They are getting on it because of the lamest things, like having to pay for the shows, and like all this junk. They still are complaining about AM/FM radio on it... I listen to my iPod not that radio, and if there is a song i really like on the radio, its on my iPod. I guess people are soo nit picky it retarded. THIS IS JUST A VIDEO CAPABLE IPOD, THIS IS NOT A PORTABLE VIDEO PLAYER MAINLY FOCUSING ON VIDEO....but what we need to realize is, no one has really seen it in person, or held it. The editor of portable media on CNET.com said its the best iPod to date...so im still prob gonna get it.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pino

Not to totally derail this thread, but I think the firewire complaint is a valid one.

As a first time Mac user (second gen iMac), I enjoy everything about my Mac and iPods, but where are you supposed to plug all of this stuff in? Everything else is using USB (such as keyboard, printer, camera, Shuffle,or UPS) and that leaves no more ports for now USB only iPods.

Solutions anyone?

BUY A HUB...You couldnt figure that out on your own?!?!?!?

Also: I DLed Lost and that is the LAST TV show I will ever buy online...untill they encode them in a good resolution.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

BUY A HUB...You couldnt figure that out on your own?!?!?!?

Also: I DLed Lost and that is the LAST TV show I will ever buy online...untill they encode them in a good resolution.

Take it easy, oh Great One. Maybe one day I will reach Senior Member status, but I'm still at the beginning of the learning curve. You were there once, don't forget.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    how bad does it look??? if you go to cnet the guy shows a tv show on it and it doesnt look that bad...???
  • Reply 11 of 19
    the shows looks like shit on a 20" iMac, BitTorrent rules!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pino

Take it easy, oh Great One. Maybe one day I will reach Senior Member status, but I'm still at the beginning of the learning curve. You were there once, don't forget.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nice level-headed reply, Pino. It's nice to see someone quell flames rather than fan them for once. I agree with you about the iPod and USB, it sucks for Mac users no matter how you look at it. I guess since the iPod is used 95% of the time with windows, they can give us the shaft now and again?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 258member
    I was looking for three things out of the new iPod, from highest to lowest priority:

1. Bigger hard drive

2. Lyrics display with the song, like in the nano

3. Wireless headphone capability

I assume the new iPod has #2, since it's already in the lower priced nano, but didn't address #1 or #3.

On top of that, they took away capability to use many current accessories, including my two favorites: Bluetooth wireless headphones (Logitech) and even the basic wired remote, which used to be included with iPods.

Okay, I'm at the gym on a stationary bike, elliptical trainer or treadmill with my iPod in a small bag hanging from the drink holder. Or the iPod is simply in my pocket while at work or walking around.

- I can't use my wired remote

- I can't use my bluetooth headphones, with built in pause, volume, and track buttons

How do I control my iPod's volume, pause or skip songs? This is a must have capability for me.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    I don't care bout the cry babies... bought one anyway! Also purched a nano so I now have 8 iPods in the family and will buy the next gen too when it arrives.

YEAH!!!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    haahh thats awesome...i think ill get one every year or every other year. im still not even on color screen yet..eeeek!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    The FireWire issue is a valid concern, and it is fitting for Mac users to talk about it, even if you just go and get a FireWire hub. If Apple does not hear from its users, and loving fans, what then?

I plan to get me a video capable iPod, though I have a photo iPod.

I would like to see Apple really direct itself toward the photographer, too. Something good sounds like it is coming next week.

Whoever all said that Apple has fans that grump about things, they are correct in observing this behaviour, especially on Mac sites.

I prefer it to the blah blah of the redmond paid or cheerleading staff, which sounds like big brother on the 1984 Macintosh ad, or like the old soviet empire.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    I've got two gripes about the new iPod.

a.) The scroll wheel is too big. They could have used the scroll wheel off of the shuffle.

b.) There is no stylus.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 18 of 19
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    My greatest complaint: it cannot record.

iPod is an audio device first and foremost. Everything needed for recording is in place, as evidenced by how people have actually been able to record through the headphones by booting the iPod into Linux. Pretty much all of Apple's competitors have recording. Why doesn't Apple enable this in top end iPods?

A second complaint: they made a device they called iPod Photo but it could not suck pictures from a camera out of the box, pretty much the best possible use for a portable HD such as the iPod in conjunction with photos. (IMO of course.) I hear even the add-on offered for this purpose is unreliable and slow. Put a fast CompactFlash reader inside the basic package, ready to empty CF cards out of the box, and you have something worthy of calling iPod Photo.

A third complaint: WTF are they thinking with 320x240 video? That's useless. Overall, in my view the iPods don't seem much better than they were at the beginning. Not worse, naturally, but not much better either.

A fourth complaint: mini was cut, and nano, while not being bad, does a poor job of replacing it considering the $50 price hike and functionality (again) being largely unchanged.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Good question, on your first note.

The iPod Photo could be a real help to people using a camera, but it needs faster reading and recording/storage of photographs, so to speak, out of the box. It is a natural thing for photographers to turn to Macs, and I hope Apple will address itself to this point that you too raise for them. It is a natural part of Apple's constituency.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

My greatest complaint: it cannot record.

iPod is an audio device first and foremost. Everything needed for recording is in place, as evidenced by how people have actually been able to record through the headphones by booting the iPod into Linux. Pretty much all of Apple's competitors have recording. Why doesn't Apple enable this in top end iPods?

A second complaint: they made a device they called iPod Photo but it could not suck pictures from a camera out of the box, pretty much the best possible use for a portable HD such as the iPod in conjunction with photos. (IMO of course.) I hear even the add-on offered for this purpose is unreliable and slow. Put a fast CompactFlash reader inside the basic package, ready to empty CF cards out of the box, and you have something worthy of calling iPod Photo.

A third complaint: WTF are they thinking with 320x240 video? That's useless. Overall, in my view the iPods don't seem much better than they were at the beginning. Not worse, naturally, but not much better either.

A fourth complaint: mini was cut, and nano, while not being bad, does a poor job of replacing it considering the $50

price hike and functionality (again) being largely unchanged.