iBook or PowerMac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been searching for a laptop for a while now and it seems that Apple has sold me on the integrity of their construction as well as the sound OS they offer (Unix, no less). By problem comes in in deciding if I should choose and iBook or a PowerBook.

With whichever laptop I get, I plan to be doing an extensive amount of programming in C++, Java, Python, and Perl. I will be keeping a Windows machine around to compile C++ and large Java programs, but I plan to do a large amount of the work on the Apple.

In addition to this, I will be doing some web and graphic design, but only a fair amount (a few hours a month).

I understand that with different chipsets and architectures from Intel based machines, Apple's load handling is quite unique... This leaves me unable to tell which machine will meet my needs. Perhaps someone can help me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Can you live with 1024x768, especially when doing graphics? Thats the question you should ask yourself.

You don´t do video, high load graphics or number crunching so the iBook is strong enough.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by kilobrett

I plan to be doing an extensive amount of programming in C++, Java, Python, and Perl. I will be keeping a Windows machine around to compile C++ and large Java programs, but I plan to do a large amount of the work on the Apple.

I don't really see the point in writing code on the mac, and compiling on the PC. What platform are you writing for? If you're writing Windows programs, then you will have a much easier time doing the whole project in Windows. Otherwise, Mac OS X is unix, and you can use all of the GNU tools on it. If you're writing huge programs (which doesn't seem to be the case given your description), there might be some value of keeping a PC around, but otherwise there won't be much difference between compiling on the PC and Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    C++ is the only language that will need compiling on the Windows box. Java is totally platform independant and the others will be for Unix only.

Let's not go astray here--I am really looking for help determining which elements of hardware will be suitable for programming, not which platform (that decision I can make myself with a wider perspective than can be granted via these forums).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by kilobrett

C++ is the only language that will need compiling on the Windows box. Java is totally platform independant and the others will be for Unix only.

Let's not go astray here--I am really looking for help determining which elements of hardware will be suitable for programming, not which platform (that decision I can make myself with a wider perspective than can be granted via these forums).

I think you have a slanted view of the kinds of people on Appleinsider. Most of us also have PCs, and use them all the time. I'm trying to figure out why you want a mac in the first place, and -- if it's for programming reasons -- why you think that you'll need a PC. If you're programming for Windows, then I can't understand why you want a mac in the first place. I do plenty of coding. . . usually various assemblies and C, and it's not very productive to write on one platform and compile on another. This is why cross-compilers exist.

Otherwise, I think you should wait until mid 2006 if you can. By then the powerbooks will probably be intel powered, and your vague compiling concerns won't be concerns anymore. Since, after all, the elements of hardware that are most concernable for programming are quite chiefly the CPU's ISA and bus architecture.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Spline: I am primarily a developer of Java, Perl, and Python but I do write a fair amount of code in C++. When I am called upon to write C++, far less often than my responsibilities for Java, I have to write it for a Windows platform. I hope I don't need to justify my desire for a Mac beyond this.

My concern is just one of wonder: How do other programmers enjoy their PowerBook or iBook and if there is any substantial difference between them.

I am currently leaning in the direction of the iBook due to the slightly larger screen and SuperDrive for only $100 extra (I will be getting a 15% education discount, cancelling out that extra hundred). How have you owners of either notebook enjoyed (or loathed) your experience?