Alias question OS 9.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm a guitar teacher. On my G4 I want a database (something like ITunes) with mp3's of the songs I use to teach. And I want to create an alias for each of my 30 students. Each alias should contain the title of the songs in the mp3 database that this particular student is learning. And clicking on that title should start the mp3 to play.

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help

(My G4 runs OS 9.2)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by R.D. Tan

I'm a guitar teacher. On my G4 I want a database (something like ITunes) with mp3's of the songs I use to teach. And I want to create an alias for each of my 30 students. Each alias should contain the title of the songs in the mp3 database that this particular student is learning. And clicking on that title should start the mp3 to play.

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help

(My G4 runs OS 9.2)

No one? I didn't find anything helpful when I searched for posts about alias'. I would appreciate your advice.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

No one? I didn't find anything helpful when I searched for posts about alias'. I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks anyway. Have a wonderful life.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i'm not sure i understand. what you need. couldn't you just create a folder for each student and put aliases to the MP3s inside those folders? that way if you have one MP3 you wouldn't have to copy the actual file multiple times to each folder.

other than that, maybe 30 playlists in iTunes?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i'm not sure i understand. what you need. couldn't you just create a folder for each student and put aliases to the MP3s inside those folders? that way if you have one MP3 you wouldn't have to copy the actual file multiple times to each folder.

other than that, maybe 30 playlists in iTunes?

Hi Progmac

That's exactly what I need. I have about 160 MP3's in a normal folder. I didn't realize I had to make an alias of the MP3's and put them in each students folder. Your iTunes suggestion seems a good option too. I'll try both and let you know. Thanks for your help
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Hi Progmac

That's exactly what I need. I have about 160 MP3's in a normal folder. I didn't realize I had to make an alias of the MP3's and put them in each students folder. Your iTunes suggestion seems a good option too. I'll try both and let you know. Thanks for your help

Great, let us know how it turns out. If you are using iTunes as your MP3 player, i would think the playlist option would work a little smoother. If you go with the alias route, the easiest would be to create an alias of each file in your MP3 folder (it will by default place the alias in the same folder) and then copy (command + c) the aliases you need into each student's folder (which you would have created)

You might be able to get a program/extension where you could play the MP3 by control-clicking (or right-clicking if you have a two-button mouse), which would be happy if you went the alias route. Check versiontracker.com under Mac OS 8/9 section.

As an aside, the Power Mac G4's are all very capable OS X machines, if you are interested in upgrading from OS 9. You should be able to pick up a copy of the last version of OS X (10.3 Panther) on eBay for pretty cheap.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or keep them in the thread for the community to respond to, too.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    That's very kind of you.

OSX is not really an option for me. I use my G4 exclusively for recording (Protools LE 5.3.2) and my guitarteaching.

OS9.2 is very stabile and I'm the kind of guy who doesn't fix what doesn't need to be fixed (which goes for PT upgrades too). I realize ofcaurse that this G4 will eventually break down. So I started saving for the latest G5 and latest Protools version, just in case. And I hope it will turn out to be as stabile as this setup.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

That's very kind of you.

OSX is not really an option for me. I use my G4 exclusively for recording (Protools LE 5.3.2) and my guitarteaching.

OS9.2 is very stabile and I'm the kind of guy who doesn't fix what doesn't need to be fixed (which goes for PT upgrades too). I realize ofcaurse that this G4 will eventually break down. So I started saving for the latest G5 and latest Protools version, just in case. And I hope it will turn out to be as stabile as this setup.

Hi Progmac

The alias option works perfectly. This is what I needed. Thanks again.

R.D.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Hi Progmac

The alias option works perfectly. This is what I needed. Thanks again.

R.D.

No problem That's a very responsible approach you are taking regarding upgrading to OS X. If you have 9.2 running stable, why change? Good luck with the guitar classes!