Achilles Tendonitis, heel spurs, plantier fasctitis

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Does anyone have these problems with their feet and has anyone found a product that helps?

I am having heel pain and pain in the back of my heel (achilles) and have tried a few insole products with no relief.

Any ideas? The podiatrist was worthless. Podiatrists are almost as worthless as dermatologists.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Does anyone have these problems with their feet and has anyone found a product that helps?

I am having heel pain and pain in the back of my heel (achilles) and have tried a few insole products with no relief.

Any ideas? The podiatrist was worthless. Podiatrists are almost as worthless as dermatologists.

I run about 35-40 miles a week and I suddenly got plantar fascitis a year or so ago... getting out of bed and putting any weight on my heels was excruciating for the first few minutes, but then the pain wears off. This happened when running, walking or even standing motionless..running naturally produced the most pain...but after running a half mile to a mile, the pain eases off until its barely noticeable.

I looked online to see what the deal was...and the painful symptoms (of plantar) typically lasts months...even a year..and the condition runs its own course regardless of treatment. I decided to put up with it, see how long it lasted..and i was free of it after 4 months, and it hasnt recurred. Re. Achilles tendonitis and heel spurs, I have never experienced either.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Podiatrists are almost as worthless as dermatologists.

This is a blanket statement.

Podiastrists and dermatologists really help, but they can't cure everything.

Now, you have to discover where do come from your heel problems : too much sport, bad shoes (I do not speak of the sole here) ?

You have to differenciate a skin problems (inflammation : red skin), to a tendinitis problem (no red skin).

Be carefull if you have an Achilles tendinitis, it may break.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I have flat feet, which may be a lesser or worse debilatation depending on how you look at it. When I run, I have some custom insoles. They weren't cheap, but they help a lot. When I play soccer, though, I can't use the insoles, so instead I bind my feet with tape around the arch, reasonably tight. Supposedly, this is also something that people with plantar fascitis do.

I also do all of the foot stretching excercises prescribed for plantar fascitis, and -- here's the big kicker -- I have forced it into my subconscious to "muscle" an arch into place when I walk or stand. Doing all of these has aleviated a lot of the foot, back, and neck pain that I used to have much worse.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I had Achilles tendonitis from basketball, and it just wouldn't go away. It took several years. You can buy inserts for the heels of your shoes to bring your ankle up a bit, you can do stretching, and you could take a NSAID - I did all of the above, and it still took forever. Listen to the podiatrist, and maybe see an athletic trainer (a licensed one, not a gym bunny) if you can.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Thanks for the replies.

I decided to go to a different podiatrist (one that was recommended to me) and see what he says.

I have a list of questions to ask him so i don't get the bum rush the other doc gave me. I want some real info from the guy I'm paying.

Dont you hate it when a doctor takes all of 5 minutes and says take an advil?

Oh, I also found something soothing which may help you guys out.

I bought a Conair Foot Spa at CVS. I had tried another brand and it did nothing, so brand is important.

It has massaging action, jets and bubbles. It really did help. I was very surprised because the other brand I got at target did nothing for me.

Try it out-its about $35
  • Reply 6 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    went to a new podiatrist today. he felt the biggest problem was the fact that my achilles tendon was so sore.

He put on a soft cast and gave me a cortison prescription. I have to do both for a week.

If it doesnt go away after that I have to go for a MRI.

I have a feeling the cortisone is going to do a number on my GI Tract. I have colitis and drugs dont do well with me.

Gonna be a lousy week!