Eminem iTunes ad airs on network television

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

How P.C. It's a rap artist who is used to "moshing" with his audience. I suppose just "keepin' it real" is too disturbing to those with sensitivity issues.

I'm sorry I didn't repeat it here, but I wrote in a different forum that I may have misinterpreted the gesture. For example, imagine what an unknowing witness would think of a chest bump! My bad, dude, SNAP! On, no, you ditn't!

So, for those of us not educated about hip-hop culture, it appears to be a hostile gesture.

Ordinarily, I'd let you response slide, but you called me "P. C." Fu** off, man, I'm 100% Mac and don't you forget it!
  • Reply 22 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm not really buying the "rip" accusation yet.

I've found a site where someone points out that the iMac G5 looks very much like a Sun flat panel terminal, but it had no comments. Then there's the Taiwanese aluminum-clad computer with very similar form factor as the mini, and that's been debated to death too. From the front, the only difference in appearance is a button on the front face, and a grille on the top.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    So, what is this? Who is supposed to have ripped of whom?
  • Reply 24 of 48
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

So, what is this? Who is supposed to have ripped of whom?

Since the Lugz ad came out in 2001, and the Eminem ad in 2005, well, you do the math...

• Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Since the Lugz ad came out in 2001, and the Eminem ad in 2005, well, you do the math...

Ok, that makes sense. I don't remember the Lugz ad. That's why I asked.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Maybe the same ad agency did both? Who knows?
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Another thing your article above failed to recognize is this nice little camparison chart that ilounge.com kindly included in their similar article here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/5681/

• Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by VL-Tone

Maybe the same ad agency did both? Who knows?

I do.

Psyop did the Lugz ad with Avrett\\Free\\Ginsberg and Logan's copied the ad with TBWA\\Chiat\\Day.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

While TV violence is understood to be acted and written so as to imitate the worst of society, he comes across as someone who advocates real violence. Some of his *lyrics* call for pretty sick action.

While in these shows the "bad guys" get it in the end, he is one of these "bad guys", at least in his music.

And in grand theft auto, you are one of the "bad guys"

But in the end, it's just a video game, and in the end, it's just music.

On the topic of the ad, I saw it three times yesterday, and I don't remember seeing anything remotely violent.

The iPod ad that always bothered me was the ad with the little kid rapping the eminem song. If I was that kids dad, I sure as hell wouldn't be letting him listen to Eminem.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

what is Lugz? should I have heard of theme?
  • Reply 31 of 48
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

what is Lugz? should I have heard of theme?

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2005...nemapple_.html
  • Reply 32 of 48

• Reply 33 of 48
    The two are very similar.

But who cares?

This is dumb.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

But in the end, it's just a video game, and in the end, it's just music.

The iPod ad that always bothered me was the ad with the little kid rapping the eminem song. If I was that kids dad, I sure as hell wouldn't be letting him listen to Eminem.

I think that you made my point for me.

It's just music, but...
  • Reply 35 of 48
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Well, I like the Eminem Commercial, and I don't like the Lugs commercial.

Apple took the Lugs commercial.. gave it a celebrity focus.. and gave it a popular song to match the celebrity..

Sooo.... They took a bad "idea" and made it into a good one.

If they aren't in the same market, (which they are not) then I see nothing wrong with it.

ON A SIDE NOTE:

I was watching Adult Swim, on the Cartoon Network tonight from 11pm to 2:30am, and the commercial must have aired 10 times in that time frame. =P

Crazy.

- Xidius
  • Reply 36 of 48
    For all you Eminem haters out there, it seems Apple are not too keen on him either! I found this while scrubbing through the video Yes it says TIT

• Reply 37 of 48
    so i guess there was something original in the apple ad then. psyop didn't seem to use the word "TIT" in the lugz ad.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

I think that you made my point for me.

It's just music, but...

Yeah, and the Eminem song in this ad is a pretty positive song about seizing opportunities.

You can't have him an ad because he has songs that are for mature audiences only?

Chevrolet uses "magic carpet ride" by Steppenwolf, a song all about getting really really high, in its ads.

You see "welcome to the jungle" by gun N roses in various sports clip montages. This is a group with songs with such classic lines as "Patnies round your knees, your ass in debris."

I could go on and on.........
  • Reply 39 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    yeah, i don't know what's up. seriously, i downloaded the ad and watched it a few times, its visually very very brilliant. i would say most people under 35 would consider the ad "energetic" and "passionate" and not "violent". for the record, i turned 27 last month

however, given the somewhat "grungy" treatment of the apple logo towards the ad i think in terms of branding they want to keep this ad more targeted towards specific demographics and so maybe keeping it off the main portions of apple.com website is to maintain a broad and consistent message...
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Yeah, and the Eminem song in this ad is a pretty positive song about seizing opportunities.

You can't have him an ad because he has songs that are for mature audiences only?

Chevrolet uses "magic carpet ride" by Steppenwolf, a song all about getting really really high, in its ads.

You see "welcome to the jungle" by gun N roses in various sports clip montages. This is a group with songs with such classic lines as "Patnies round your knees, your ass in debris."

I could go on and on.........

At least they weren't talking avout violence to wonen and other groups.

Look, I finally saw the ad, and as an ad I don't find anything wrong with it. It's actually pretty good video. Even the "push" didn't seem all that out of place.

I'm responding to the concept of saying "freedom of speech" on the air, but then saying that their kids shouldn't listen to the music. Those same kids will see th ad and want to get his stuff.

I'm just not sure that he is someone that coincides with Apple's image.