iBook Upgrades

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Recently considering buying a laptop but the powerbooks are fairly expensive for me and the ibook is much more suited, i know the powerbook may be getting upgrades on wednes day and i was wandering does anyone know of any upgrades for the ibook

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    iBook's were only upgraded a couple of months ago.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

iBook's were only upgraded a couple of months ago.

So were iMac's.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by WihteApple17

Recently considering buying a laptop but the powerbooks are fairly expensive

... and powerbooks may be updated this week. Hold up until Wednesday's news.

Also, check out the macworld article on the new iBooks. They weren't as upbeat as you'd hope. I'm hoping they had a couple of early machines, and the optical drive problems they reported were unusual rather than symptoms of a bigger problem.

I'm also looking at choosing between a new iBook or Powerbook - soon.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bjewett

i know the powerbook may be getting upgrades on wednes day and i was wandering does anyone know of any upgrades for the ibook

imo, ibooks are currently too close to PBs everything except price. ie: ibook tech specs almost match PBs right now. biggest diff i see are graphics, with PBs supporting dual monitor.

does seem likely PBs will rev weds, but i would expect apple sees the increased gap over ibooks as a correction, not a gap.

that said, wait til weds anyway. no point buying sooner. thereafter, weigh the pros/cons against your needs and buy what's right for you.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Well the rumours of upcoming updates haven't said much about the 12" Powerbook - some have even suggested it will be dropped. Maybe the 12" iBook could take it's place?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    I just wish they'd offer the 12" model with a SuperDrive. I don't want the added bulk of the 14" model, and $700 more for the 12" PB is a helluva price increase just to be able to burn DVDs.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

I just wish they'd offer the 12" model with a SuperDrive. I don't want the added bulk of the 14" model, and $700 more for the 12" PB is a helluva price increase just to be able to burn DVDs.

Yes well you're right.. It's only ~£700 in UK he he.

N.B you can use the dualscreenspanning hack on the iBook also.. Works well.. and voids warranty also (I believe)!

A superdrive including iBook 12" with a reasonably enhanced graphics card (and a not so reasonably enhanced price (+$100)) - would result in Apple selling another million or so iBooks (a quarter). However, this will not happen as it may break a golden Apple profit margin rule (I guess). Oh well nevermind... Then there's the lost software sales revenue on those units.. And the upgrade to Cheetar tax on those units..

Ho.. humm.

It would also upset the PB brigade...