Apple ships first video iPods, lanyard nano headphones

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Monday morning began shipping the first batch of video-enabled iPods, AppleInsider has confirmed.

Based on delivery estimates provided by Apple's online store, some early adopters who paid for overnight shipping can expect to receive their new iPods as early as Tuesday,

The new music players appear to be shipping FedEx out of Shanghai, China, just minutes from where Asustek and Inventec -- two of Apple's iPod manufacturing partners -- have production facilities.

Based on existing reports, it looks like orders for black and white 60GB iPods without custom engravings are shipping first.

Meanwhile, Apple retail stores are unsure when they will receive their first shipment of new iPods.

Asked when they expect the new iPods, an Apple store representative said: "I have no idea. Apple doesn't tell us."

In related news, Apple last week also shipped a small batch of the lanyard headphones for the iPod nano. The accessory had been backordered for a month and a half, but now shows lead times of one to two weeks on the Apple online store.

Most Apple retail stores who received lanyard headphone shipments quickly sold out of the product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    I went to tthe Apple Japan store last week in Ginza to check on a couple things while I was in the area. I was surprised to see the lanyard headphones in stock - and angry. See, I ordered them the day the nano was released and had received my nano within a week.

When I asked the store employee why I hadn't received mine already, he explained that Apple doesn't put priority on mail orders - even when someone orders them well in advance.

I'm sorry - that is complete BS and poor customer relations. Wake up Apple!

And I still don't have my lanyard phones yet... ;-(
  • Reply 2 of 23
    t^3t^3 Posts: 3member
    If anybody's having trouble finding the lanyard headphones, Circuit City stores, at least in the Portland, OR area, all have them in stock and don't seem to be flying off the shelves. My guess is nobody knows that they have them.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    the Lanyard Headphone with Nano combination would be pretty much the coolest thing ever if they would just improve the sound quality of the headphones.

they need to contact Sennheiser or anyone else who could either help manufacture them or give Apple a few pointers... or whatever it will take to get it done.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I'll be sure to check my local Apple Store next to my university tomorrow and Wednesday.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I find the sound quality of the stock Apple headphones pretty okay. Mind you, I also have $300 Sennheiser headphones, and they do sound better, but can you really expect Apple to include expensive headphones like that with a $99 shuffle or $199 nano?

Not trying to defend Apple on this, but I've found the stock headphones they include to be quite okay, and you obviously won't get high end headphones included in the price with such a device. They're actually a lot better than some of the other headphones I've gotten with devices over the years.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I find the sound quality of the stock Apple headphones pretty okay. Mind you, I also have $300 Sennheiser headphones, and they do sound better, but can you really expect Apple to include expensive headphones like that with a $99 shuffle or $199 nano?

Not trying to defend Apple on this, but I've found the stock headphones they include to be quite okay, and you obviously won't get high end headphones included in the price with such a device. They're actually a lot better than some of the other headphones I've gotten with devices over the years.

I should have said earbuds, because that's was what i was thinking. Sennheiser has some very reasonably priced earbud lines that sound better than the ones that Apple includes. The MX400's are the one's I own.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...etwear_mxserie

Though im sure Apple could find many other ways to make them better.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I actually went to my local apple store, and they said they would be getting their first batch of iPod videos either next week or the week after that, and the new iMacs next week.

But who knows?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I got a custom engraving, placed my order for my iPod on 10/15/05 and it reads it will ship on or before 10/26. SUCKS!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It's cool that some people will get the new 'Pods even before Apple Stores have them.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I wish that I would have pre-ordered a ipod video, I cannot wait to have one, however I would rather purchase mine through a retail outlet.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Whooohoooo!

My 30 GIG VIDPOD (standard shipping) is scheduled to be here on the 20th by 12 noon!

Schweeeeeeeeeeet!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I work at Circuit City in NY, and we don't expect to see the 5G iPods in stores until November 11th!!!
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Still waiting for my 60 Gb ingraved iPod. Supposed to ship on or before 21/10.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    my black 30gig engraved ipod shipped this morning from China.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I don't see the appeal of the lanyard headphones, I could get tangled in those.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Mine still says it will be shipped on or b4 the 21st. I have a white 30gb engraved 5g.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by CraigMcShanensonson

Mine still says it will be shipped on or b4 the 21st. I have a white 30gb engraved 5g.

thats what mine said yesterday. now it has shipped, from china and is supposed to arrive on the 21st around 10:30 am.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    My Apple Store has the new white 30GB iPods in. WOW.

Stonestown Galleria Mall, in San Francisco.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Mine said on or before the 24th, but now it says it has shipped! No other information is available though on the shipping, so I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to mean?

No tracking number or anything like that... hmmmmm...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My 60 GB engraved vPod just showed up as "preparing shipment".