Why wasn't this the iTunes phone?...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-5896...6922&subj=news

Sony could figure out how to have a clickwheel thing on it and a hidden number pad, why can't fricken Moto?!?!? One of the models even comes in white or black for cripes sake.

I assume Apple has one in a basement that is much nicer, but this isn't difficult design!! Apple has already done the work and product testing with the iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Because Motorola designed it?

Most (all?) motorola phones suck. Just my opinion. Prefer Nokia and Sony Ericsson myself...
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Because Motorola designed it?

Most (all?) motorola phones suck. Just my opinion. Prefer Nokia and Sony Ericsson myself...

could that be more backwards?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Because SONY wants the Walkman brand, not the iPod... iTunes = iPod. Conflict.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Mot=Teh suck

S//E=Teh rule

If you surround yourself with ugly friends you will stand out. Enters HP and Mot.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    I had a Sony-Ericsson T610 for a couple of years. While I greatly preferred the UI and even (slightly) the form factor to the phone that replaced it (RAZR, what else?), the actual call quality is so much better it's not even funny. The Sony was always too quiet, even at its loudest volume, and I always had the weakest signal among all of my friends in a given location. I haven't had a single call-related problem with the Motorola. It is a phone, after all...
  • Reply 6 of 33
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    You know, frigging phones are meant to be phones, not a media appliance. I use my phone for, you guessed it, talking! And while I like some of Motorola's phones, the cell carrier determines a lot. I had a Motorola 720 or something along those lines and it's one little pinhole in the earpiece sucked. Had to hold it just right or else you couldn't hear a thing. I went back to their "bare-bones" model because it sounded good, had good battery life, and carried the signal the best. Maybe I am in the minority, but I do not text-message (never understood that frigging concept), take pictures, etc. I talk.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Sony could figure out how to have a clickwheel thing on it and a hidden number pad, why can't fricken Moto?!?!? One of the models even comes in white or black for cripes sake.

I assume Apple has one in a basement that is much nicer, but this isn't difficult design!! Apple has already done the work and product testing with the iPod.

I'm not a phone slut (still using a 4 yr old Nokia) and can't attest to anything about these new phones, but they look really goddamn sweet.

I agree that these are far more representative of Apple than the cornbread that Mot put out.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Sony could figure out how to have a clickwheel thing on it and a hidden number pad, why can't fricken Moto?!?!?

Beacause this isn't a fricken clickwheel, this is the type of joypad thingy that almost all handsets have had for years. Sans the ROKR though which is disturbing. But the RAZR has it..
  • Reply 9 of 33
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    talking of silly clickwheels? have a look here, B&O latest "invention":

• Reply 10 of 33
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I want one! What is it?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I want one! What is it?

it's a Coop form B&O and Samsung, called "Serene"... I've lost the link to the demo..... :-/
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

http://www.serenemobile.com/

<slapforehead>

life can sometimes be soooo annoying easy....

thanks, Warren
  • Reply 14 of 33
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    How innovative! Nokia 3650.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Welcome to 2003!
  • Reply 16 of 33
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

I had a Sony-Ericsson T610 for a couple of years. While I greatly preferred the UI and even (slightly) the form factor to the phone that replaced it (RAZR, what else?), the actual call quality is so much better it's not even funny. The Sony was always too quiet, even at its loudest volume, and I always had the weakest signal among all of my friends in a given location. I haven't had a single call-related problem with the Motorola. It is a phone, after all...

Same here. I had to really jam my T610 into my ear to be able to hear on it.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Watch the iPhone commericials if you don't understand what the purpose of the iPhone is.

Why carry an iPod and phone separately if you can merge them? You can only use one of them at a time anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Have anyone seen the K750i?

Its buttons are placed just like an old POTS telephone

How innovative! Its the 50s all over again.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Steve: 'There are more phones yet to roll out,' he says with a sly smile, adding, 'Cingular has been great to work with.'"

• Reply 20 of 33
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

... How innovative! Its the 50s all over again.

But the B&O thing is really funny. Next they'll implement a disc with holes in it that you rotate.

You know, tho, that often innovation detracts from usability. We still use QWERTY keyboards that are essentially unchanged from the 1950's, except for the addition of dozens of worthless keys (like F1 to F16 and the numeric keypad). I've seen some Nokia phones that were almost impossible to dial. Innovative, yes. Usable, no.

People praise the Treos because they have a "sound on/off" slide switch. This idea is so obvious, it should have been on all cellphones from day one. On my wife's Nokia it's necessary to go thru three menus to switch to a "silent" mode, and even that is not completely silent.

I don't know why phone makers think that users should be guinea pigs for their innovative designs, but someday someone will make a phone which is easy to use and reliable. Just follow basic principles. No switches or buttons on the sides, for example.