ANN] -- Ambrosia releases EasyEnvelopes 1.0.0!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Rochester, NY -- August 19, 2005 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced today the release of EasyEnvelopes, a FREE MacOS X Tiger (10.4) widget for Dashboard that makes printing envelopes a breeze! It can be downloaded here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/easyenvelopes/

You can use EasyEnvelopes to quickly print a one-off envelope, or utilize its tight integration with Address Book which allows you to quickly find a person's address to print an envelope for. It handles USPS bar codes for both 5 and 9 digit bar codes, and boasts many time-saving nicities.

EasyEnvelopes works with any country's addressing format, and is fully international-friendly and localizable. It lets you control the size of your envelope, the formatting for the return address and mailing address, and much more. Print envelopes the quick and easy way with EasyEnvelopes!

Ambrosia Software, Inc. - publisher of award winning programs for the Macintosh and Windows - distributes a full line of utility, productivity, and anti-productivity (game) software through the Internet as shareware. Unregistered versions of Ambrosia's products on CD can be obtained at Ambrosia web site, http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/ or by calling Ambrosia's order center at 585.325.1910

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Cool. Thanks moki, and the rest at ambrosia!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    bronxitebronxite Posts: 104member
    Why the hell is this a widget and not an application?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

Why the hell is this a widget and not an application?

Why would it be an application, and not a widget?

My favorite attributes of it are that it is quick and convenient to use. Just hit Dashboard, and away you go, no launching programs, etc. just to print an envelope. That goes away if you make it an application.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

Why would it be an application, and not a widget?

My favorite attributes of it are that it is quick and convenient to use. Just hit Dashboard, and away you go, no launching programs, etc. just to print an envelope. That goes away if you make it an application.

I don't see the point. And it's one of my biggest gripes about developers and dashboard.

They are missing the point. Very surprising to see you miss the point.

It just sucks RAM and i question why and who needs this at dashboard access level
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

I don't see the point. And it's one of my biggest gripes about developers and dashboard.

They are missing the point. Very surprising to see you miss the point.

It just sucks RAM and i question why and who needs this at dashboard access level

Actually, EEW doesn't use much RAM, and uses zero CPU when you're not using it.

The advantage of it being a Dashboard widget is that you can be writing a letter in, say, Pages, print out the letter, then hit F12, bang out an envelope, and be done with it.

If it were an application, you'd have to launch the application by finding it the Finder (if it isn't in your Dock), waiting for it to launch, then print an envelope, then quit it... which should make it clear that what you really want to do is a quick in and out, something Dashboard is perfect for.

There are plenty of programs that print envelopes; but as a widget, we can do it more quickly and conveniently. It's not a functionality-based benefit, but rather a convenience-based one.

But hey, if you don't like it, don't use it!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    In defense of the usability of widgets:

If you don't want widgets sitting in the Dashboard and using up RAM, just launch when needed from Spotlight (or Quicksilver, my preferred superfast application launcher). Then, when you're done, and you're finished for the day, press option, hover over the widget, and close it.

Much faster then the neat-looking but s-l-l-ow Dashboard Bar. The Widget Manager widget isn't bad for this as well.

Not very different from an application, really, and quicker to load.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    We're currently wrapping up EasyEnvelopes 1.0.1, which fixes a number of bugs. We also added a cool new feature for people who are space-conscious with their widgets; check it out:

EasyEnvelopes Mini

• Reply 8 of 8
    Rochester, NY -- October 17th, 2005 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced today the release of EasyEnvelopes 1.0.1. This minor revision to the free envelope printing widget for MacOS X Tiger (10.4) may be downloaded here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/easyenvelopes/

EasyEnvelopes 1.0.1 features the following changes/enhancements:

-- Added the ability to minimize the widget by clicking on the postmark; this saves Dashboard screen space when EasyEnvelopes is not in use

-- Fixed a number of bugs where EasyEnvelopes would not properly recognize/use addresses from Address Book that were entered using older versions of Address Book

-- EasyEnvelopes widget is now a "Universal Binary", meaning it is native for both PowerPC and Intel

-- Enhanced the Japanese envelope printing support, making the envelopes printed by EasyEnvelopes properly formatting in both horizontal and vertical Japanese formats

-- Added a Traditional Chinese localization and customize Chinese envelope printing support

-- Added buffer space around return and mailing addresses so that ornate fonts are no longer clipped

-- Added localizations for Swedish, Dutch, and German

-- Other bug fixes and enhancements

You can use EasyEnvelopes to quickly print a one-off envelope, or utilize its tight integration with Address Book which allows you to quickly find a person's address to print an envelope for. It handles USPS bar codes for both 5 and 9 digit bar codes, and boasts many time-saving nicities.

EasyEnvelopes works with any country's addressing format, and is fully international-friendly and localizable. It lets you control the size of your envelope, the formatting for the return address and mailing address, and much more. Print envelopes the quick and easy way with EasyEnvelopes!

Ambrosia Software, Inc. - publisher of award winning programs for the Macintosh and Windows - distributes a full line of utility, productivity, and anti-productivity (game) software through the Internet as shareware. Unregistered versions of Ambrosia's products on CD can be obtained at Ambrosia web site, http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/ or by calling Ambrosia's order center at 585.325.1910