Apple quietly plans massive presence at PhotoPlus Expo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    I hope it's big. But if it's too big, what we they have left for MWSF?
  • Reply 22 of 85
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I think there will be a photo-related announcement (or why keep the booth secret?) but it may not be one that's exciting outside that field.

There should be at least ONE exciting announcement--probably the PowerMacs.

Alongside that could be some lesser announcements, and I fear PowerBooks may fit that description. The BIG PowerBook news is Intel, and it's too soon for that.

I do NOT however think the 12" PowerBook is going away without something to replace it. If the 12 IS going, then I expect some new compact portable in January at the latest. Maybe a new 12" PB, maybe a 13", maybe something ultraportable and low-end: a new smaller iBook. But SOMETHING to meet the ultracompact market.

If whatever that is is NOT a PowerBook, then maybe the 15" PB will gain a lower-end, cheaper version... or the iBook will gain a higher-end version. Something to fill in the gap of having no low-end 12".

The simplest thing of course would simply be that the 12" is not changing at all Or that it IS changing, but wasn't ready for Wednesday. Maybe in a month there will be a new 12" to join its updated siblings.
  • Reply 23 of 85
    agreed, I can't believe thinksecret posted that the 12" powerbook was "dying". It's being replaced with either 13" or 12widescreen, or smaller screen. Apple's not going to kill off something that is wildly successful.

Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I think there will be a photo-related announcement (or why keep the booth secret?) but it may not be one that's exciting outside that field.

There should be at least ONE exciting announcement--probably the PowerMacs.

Alongside that could be some lesser announcements, and I fear PowerBooks may fit that description. The BIG PowerBook news is Intel, and it's too soon for that.

I do NOT however think the 12" PowerBook is going away without something to replace it. If the 12 IS going, then I expect some new compact portable in January at the latest. Maybe a new 12" PB, maybe a 13", maybe something ultraportable and low-end: a new smaller iBook. But SOMETHING to meet the ultracompact market.

If whatever that is is NOT a PowerBook, then maybe the 15" PB will gain a lower-end, cheaper version... or the iBook will gain a higher-end version. Something to fill in the gap of having no low-end 12".

The simplest thing of course would simply be that the 12" is not changing at all Or that it IS changing, but wasn't ready for Wednesday. Maybe in a month there will be a new 12" to join its updates siblings.

• Reply 24 of 85
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    sweet fancy moses, attention span in people must be dropping, because if you don't know that "photo pro" will be debuting in that fancy box thinksecret showed a while ago, there's just no hope for you. hello, mcfly! HELLO!!!! (knock, knock, knock)

and a dual-dualcore G5 will be plenty big to debut alongside it. i mean, hell, sure, intel boxes are coming, but DUAL DUALCORE? are you KIDDING me?!? that box gonna rox!
  • Reply 25 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Apple will release DAM software (digital asset management) and will not compete with Photoshop.

Yes it would be nuts to go up against Photoshop. But what would "Photo Pro" really add that Photoshop doesn't? Surely Apple is dying to use it's Quartz Extreme engine to full effect.

Hrmmm...
  • Reply 26 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Won't you agree that it's far better to intro stuff now instead of watching sales of the Pro gear by pros plummet even further and sitting on inventory. They can always cancel the keynote like they did Paris. Anyway MWSF is more of a consumer type event anyway.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xav3x

i think its good this way. we get to hear what "might" come out. Whats the fun if we already know?

I agree. Why spoil this early Christmas suprise by opening the gifts early?
  • Reply 28 of 85
    Quote:

Apple's not going to kill off something that is wildly successful.

Like the iPod mini? Unless you consider the nano or new iPod its replacement, of course.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by jherrling

Anyway MWSF is more of a consumer type event anyway.

A good event to announce AirPort A/V with H.264 support.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Ilife 06

Iworks 06

Ibook Intel? Front Row

MacMini Intel? Front Row

Ipod video 80gig

DVR?

Airport AV
  • Reply 31 of 85
    If you want to dream about something with a 1% chance of making it then try to believe that Freescale (Moto in reality) has actually kept their prediction of dual core G4s for the PB.

I don't think there is any doubt that the PM will get the juices flowing - it's the PB that needs a real kick to generate excitement and a dual core would do it.

You have until the announcement to dream - then back to reality!
  • Reply 32 of 85
    Quote:

there will be NO apple pro photo HARDWARE. NO cameras, unless you mean isight stuff.

People I don't mean to be a jerk, but Have any of you ever been to photopro? It's professionals, not kids, not ipod lovers, no imacs, but people who spend millions of dollars a year on high end 50k+ photo equipment.

Apple will release DAM software (digital asset management) and will not compete with Photoshop. You will see updated powerbooks, updated powermacs, YOU WILL NOT SEE an apple camera, rangefinder, strobe light, blacklight, or any sort of equipment you've ever dreamed of running at your beer party.

I'll be at photopro expo :-)

I think you missed the point of my post. I was trying to address the fact that there will be no photo hardware at the show, all bases covered, from Apple, without sounding like a jerk about it.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    I agree with what a lot of people are saying here. It'll be a photo management program. iPhoto is not suitable for professional use and Adobe's solution isn't that good. The CS suite has photo (and file) management built in but it doesn't work as easily and as transparently as one would have hoped. If you want to do really simple stuff you have to deal with a lame flag system, constant window resizing to make everything fit etc. The browser program in CS applications feels forced. That's why it got replaced by adobe bridge. It's a way forward but still needs a lot of work. I can quite easily see Apple grabbing this market with their ease of use, an organic way of working with files and a trasparent integration with the adobe suite.

I guess we all have to wait and see
  • Reply 34 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

A good event to announce AirPort A/V with H.264 support.

Yeah baby! I'm thinking some very cool and trick enhancements to the pro-line for sure but maybe not that trick just yet. Bustin dual Duals and a very respectable boost to the PB lineup along with some new techno tricks and pro software that I'll buy anyway.

After all, the spillage of "pro" stuff has done spilled to the iBook line... Time for some more new pro gear to keep the innovation lead and excitement flowing for another 5-6 months. Plus, go out with a bang before the Intel infusion.

How many NEW stores scheduled for 2006? What killer industry leading gadgets around the corner? Get some stock before the end of this year cause Apple's gonna rock the world... And I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 85
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm going to be at the show Thursday and maybe friday as well.

All I can say about the truth about this rumor about Apple being there is that the largest booth at the show, behind Canon, booth number 338, which has normally been taken by HP, says 'RESERVED".

Whether this will be Apple, I can't say. Even my people at Apple won't say. All I got was an "interesting, isn't it?"

By the time I get back home Thursday, everyone will know what's there, but those of us who will be there will hopefully get literature that we can discuss, and maybe I'll take some pic's.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    cool. finally we actually got a few appleInsiders actually "on the inside" no offense to Kasper & gang, I'm sure they'll keep us updated as well.... As the servers are pummelled to death
  • Reply 37 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by forda

i can't decide if the major new product that is related to photography is an application or hardware. you know an apple branded digital camera would be awesome...

They did this already. It was called the Apple Quicktake...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake
  • Reply 38 of 85
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

They did this already. It was called the Apple Quicktake...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake

Besides, there is nothing that I can se Apple adding to the digital camer world these days, except for the amateur segment. This is called PRO innovations.

I really hope they keep it that way. The Photo Expo is mostly a Pro event, even though companies show their non pro stuff as well.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    This is the feature set (although not complete) that will WILL see in the new PRO application.

It is really a no brainer as the features have long been listed right on the Apple website, but we have not expected them to be used in an APPLE application separate from the OS.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/

the needs of the Core Image abilities built right into the OS do demand a very capable graphics card and no doubt this is something that would be expected in a PRO application.

The exact way that Apple integrates the CoreImage features into the new PRO app I guess will have to wait until tomorrow.

Parousia
  • Reply 40 of 85
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Here's a thought...

What if the basic rumors are true; twin dual-core G5 PMacs, updated PBooks & a new Apple software for photo management...

But there is that 'one more thing'...

A high-def Apple tablet w/dual-core G4...!

[asbestos suit on]

;^p