Apple Camera?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I wonder if the big photo-related event (not saying there won't be Powermacs/PBs) is a digital camera bundled with a "pro" version of iPhoto software (Lord knows it needs help). Along with the recent Ipod with video, etc., etc., this would make a lot of sense. I was able to wander around a little bit at the Expo site and Apple, according to the layout plans for the Expo, has a huge area to itself which I couldn't even get close to due to various menacing looking security people, ropes, drapes et al. Made me wonder...but a digital Apple prosumer/pro branded camera wouldn't cost much and would integrate amazingly well with existing hardware. Perhaps the lens on the cover of the emailed invitation is more than just a clue.

We'll see in a few hours.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The return of the Quicktake!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

An 8 MP, 10x optical 12 x digital 2.5 LCD 256K Quicktake, $499, black.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Apple wouldn't just make a camera for the hell of it. They would only do one if they had some angle no one else has. That's why they don't sell Apple printers anymore.

What would be special about an Apple camera?

Corey
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

Apple wouldn't just make a camera for the hell of it. They would only do one if they had some angle no one else has. That's why they don't sell Apple printers anymore.

What would be special about an Apple camera?

Corey

Well, for example, an iPod video could be an integrated but removable part of the camera, taking over the functions of the LCD viewfinder and the data storage/power device for the camera, then removed and used to use as a music player or to download photos/video to a PC or whatever. The iPod video controls could control camera functions as well. For a non-dSLR camera, and assuming brisk iPod video sales, this might be a marketing success and tie in neatly with Apple's increasing orientation as a consumer electronic products company.It many not substantially reduce the price of a decent prosumer non-dSLR camera but add to the functionality of the video portion of the iPod video, which is rather limited at the moment. Similar principles might apply to a future videocamera using next-generation Ipod video devices. Sony, e.g., could provide the optics needed for both devices.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by rotelle

An 8 MP, 10x optical 12 x digital 2.5 LCD 256K Quicktake, $499, black.

For professionals? Try again.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mhcmhc Posts: 5member
    I _don't_ think that this is the case, but one angle in the digital camera market that I haven't seen is an honestly easy to use camera. I know that for most of us, digital cameras aren't very complex, but they're a nightmare for my mom - and rightfully so. So many buttons, so many modes, "what is a megapixel?", nested menu after nested menu of every option imaginable.

I'd like to see a digital camera with a power switch, a flash on/off/auto switch, and a screen with forward, back, and delete buttons. That's all. No menus, no settings. Exposure, aperture, etc would all be auto. If anyone's ever seen a digital camera like this (even marketed toward kids), please let me know.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Repeat after me... "The products announced today are targeted at the professional market."

Continue as necessary.

To beat a dead horse, no journalists were invited that weren't already planning to attend the Professional Photo show that immediately follows. Do you really think Jobs wants to be laughed boisterously by a couple hundred "Photo Journalists" as he demos a $500 consumer camera to people covering $3,000-60,000 camera systems?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I still have my Quicktake packed away in a box somewhere. It is hard to imagine how much money I spent on a camera that took bad 640 x 480 pictures.

But for it's time, it was full on geeky coolness.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I would like to see an iPod add on camera (dock connected) or a tiny consumer camera, with at least a 2 GB of memory, that you can sync with your iPod/Mac/PC for backup or post edit
  • Reply 10 of 12
    glenglen Posts: 32member
    It could look something like this...

http://www.theapplecollection.com/de...iPodPhoto.html

...without the 'iPod' bit though.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    It is also possible that Apple could team with a well-established camera maker to cooperatively build a product (a la ROKR). Apply the Apple brand plus a bit of technical wizardry & integration, and voila a cool new product for minimal development investment.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    imagine a camera with a 60 gb hard drive! Apple could use that as an advantge!