Question for recent Mac buyers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Well, it's an optional orderable part, so I assumed it's not supposed to come with it...
  • Reply 42 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by RedEric:

<strong>Hi guys thought you might like a UK perspective

My iMac 600 that I bought last year came with the aforementioned Cable but my new SD 800 came with nothing.

Do all US Models ship with a USB Extender?

If so it's just another case of us being ripped off over here. </strong><hr></blockquote>

No, only the PowerMac towers come with the USB extender, because, unless you have an Apple display, there's no way the keyboard would reach to the tower.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by Barvow:

<strong>My wife's new iMac did NOT have a firewire cable...only a USB cable and the phone cable, which, by the way,

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure that's not a Firewire? I thought mine was USB too, but on closer inspection it's a 6-4 pin firewire cable.

[quote]<strong> I stared at a long time before I realized that it was apparently meant to be used for something. I was trying to imagine the electrons squeezing through it and getting stuck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The "flimsy" little phone cable is the same thickness as the wires in every other phone cable - it just doesn't have any grey plastic covering that other ones do.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Gustav: No, it's definitely a USB cable, because it's plugged into the keyboard. I know that the actual wire inside the phone cord is of a usable thickness. It's just that the whole thing is so skinny that it LOOKS wrong. I'm sure that it works fine, but I have no need for it, so it's still wrapped up.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    it's strange...some iMacs must come with a usb cable and some with a firewire cable....i did not receive a usb cable, just the firewire one....which would you rather have ....even though i already have a 6 to 4 pin firewire cable, i'm glad i got this one in case i lose the one or the kids chew it up or whatever....a standard usb cable is pretty cheap to replace, a 6 to 4 firewire isn't...g

mac's girl...i hope they don't come to my house and take my cable away...shame on you for giving them that idea take care, hope you all get a cable from apple...g
  • Reply 46 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>it's strange...some iMacs must come with a usb cable and some with a firewire cable....i did not receive a usb cable, just the firewire one....which would you rather have </strong><hr></blockquote>

i got NEITHER! zero, zip, zilch, nada. no firewire or usb. not that i need it for anything at the present moment, but i want one too if other ppl got one. it's a matter of principal and good business practice.