ripping DVD-A (audio)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all,

Did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything on this subject...

Is there a way to rip the audio tracks from a DVD-A? I recently purchased a DVD-A (Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing") because it contains a few bonus tracks not available on the CD release. I'd like to be able to rip these to an aiff or other high quality file to transfer to a CD or iPod (sans 5.1 information, all I want is stereo).

Does Mac The Ripper accomplish what I'm looking for, or does another rip audio from a DVD-A? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by epimetheus

Hi all,

Did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything on this subject...

Is there a way to rip the audio tracks from a DVD-A? I recently purchased a DVD-A (Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing") because it contains a few bonus tracks not available on the CD release. I'd like to be able to rip these to an aiff or other high quality file to transfer to a CD or iPod (sans 5.1 information, all I want is stereo).

Does Mac The Ripper accomplish what I'm looking for, or does another rip audio from a DVD-A? Thanks!

Google FTW!

How to Rip DVD Audio to MP3, AAC or AIFF
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I think I like MacTheRipper the best now.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Hi. I'm curious about this DVD-A business... I read that one requires a special DVD-A player to enjoy the maximum benefit the format has to offer. Playing it on a regular DVD player typically only uses the Dolby Digital (AC3) part and is not the highest quality.

I've got a SuperDrive Pioneer DVD-107. Will that be able to read the DVD-A information (ie, not the AC3 part)? Will I need additional software to play it?

The MacTheRipper solution implies (to me) that it only rips AC3 content, and not the actual DVD-A content?

Or have I got it totally mixed up?!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You cannot digitally record DVD-A from a DVD-A player.

The only digital output on these players in DVD-A format is encrypted firewire.

While it may be possible to record via analog to a decent soundcard, most discs area also watermarked to interfere with that.

Ripping the AC3 track is much easier, but it will be compressed and sub-CD quality, but in surround.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Just a quick followup -- I used Ambrosia's Wiretap Pro and it worked great for grabbing audio from the DVD-A.

Hopefully the upcoming 3.0 version of Mac The Ripper will make DVD-A extraction a little easier...