Comments

• Reply 41 of 176
    It's actually $400 for 2GB, but yes.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../4200DDR2M2GB/
  • Reply 42 of 176
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Well we'll see if it is just a few hundred more. I'm thinking it'll be 400 at least.

My figuring is that a few hundred is about from $300-$400.

But if you wait on this, ATI will most likely have boards out in the 'tween area.
  • Reply 43 of 176
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Leigh

Love the markup on RAM. 16GB for $9500....that's funny. Quick price search found it for $3200. Do they really expect people to not check and just overpay by 200%?

For all those bitching about the RAM markup, check your info again...

Yeah, Apple charges a special Apple Tax for RAM & HDDs, but the expensive RAM in question is ECC RAM... But then, if it goes bad, you just contact Apple... And if you are spending the kind of money it takes to jack up a new PowerMac, then you should also be springing the extra US$270 for the 3-year warranty...

Anything else is foolish...

Look a little closer at that dropdown menu on the Apple Store folks, there are selections to be made... Don't just go to the last on the list...
  • Reply 44 of 176
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    I find it strange that Apple is only including PCI-Express slots... this means that everyone who upgrades will need to replace their old PCI cards with new PCI-Express ones.

Fortunately, there is a new PCI-Express Fibre Channel Card, but no Gigabit Ethernet card. Xsan users will have to wait.

IMO they should have included two PCI-Express and two PCI-X slots, this would have made more sense...

On a side note, another plus for PCI-Express over AGP is that it can supply more power to the graphics card. In the PC world, most modern graphics cards that utilize AGP must have an additional power supply. However, their PCI-Express counterparts are fine without it.

I just added a 6600GT to my PC and am relatively happy with it (upgraded from the FX5200). At work I just ordered a X800 XT for my G5, hopefully it will be better than the crappy 5600 that it came with...
  • Reply 45 of 176
    I just have two words about the all new G5 QuadraMac

EEEET'S ALIVE!
  • Reply 46 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

I find it strange that Apple is only including PCI-Express slots... this means that everyone who upgrades will need to replace their old PCI cards with new PCI-Express ones.

That's the whole idea.

Not to get people to spend their money, but to prevent them from screwing up the new standards.

When Apple went from the NUbus to PCI, they didn't include a NUbus controller and slots. So PCI went pretty smoothly. No issues about plug and play, etc.

When the PC world went from ISA to PCI they included ISA slots because PC people are loath to buy new things. People were putting their old ISA cards into their new machines. That was one of the major reasons why Plug n' Play didn't work consistantly.

Supporting two standards in one machine lead to problems. You have to make a clean sweep.
  • Reply 47 of 176
    This might be a dumb question, but if I go to the Apple store tomorrow, will I be able to order a customized Quad PM G5? I have a multiple methods of payment issue, and I'm trying to figure out how to go about this.
  • Reply 48 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by pazzo83

This might be a dumb question, but if I go to the Apple store tomorrow, will I be able to order a customized Quad PM G5? I have a multiple methods of payment issue, and I'm trying to figure out how to go about this.

No reason why not. I'd wait though. What's the rush?
  • Reply 49 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

No reason why not. I'd wait though. What's the rush?

Yea, I guess it's a bit irrational, but I've been waiting for this thing for months. My old Dell has outlasted its usefullness.
  • Reply 50 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by pazzo83

Yea, I guess it's a bit irrational, but I've been waiting for this thing for months. My old Dell has outlasted its usefullness.

I understand the pent up feelings that guys are getting. But these are completely new machines. I'm waiting 'till January.

I keep vainly trying to get people to let Apple work the bugs out first.
  • Reply 51 of 176
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Leigh

It's actually $400 for 2GB, but yes.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../4200DDR2M2GB/

Thanks for the price correction and link.

Looks like the ~$1K for a 2GB DIMM from Crucial that people were quoting during forum frenzies after last week's iMac update was for an ECC module. I don't even see a non-ECC 2GB module listed there.

Apparently Apple's making significantly more profit from selling non-ECC 2GB DIMMs.
  • Reply 52 of 176
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

DUDE, DO NOT GET THE 6600. i have a 6600GT, which is better than the 6600, which i bought a few months ago for us $170.

you want the 7800GT. note: which is not the same as 7800GTX but 7800GT i hear gives a nice balance of heat/power/performance/etc.

I posted this link in another thread, but it seems useful here as well. Anandtech tested a bunch of cards with Battlefield 2 (PC game). The gap btwn 7800 and 6600 increases dramatically with resolution. And that's a 6600 GT in their tests, faster than the 6600.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2466&p=4
  • Reply 53 of 176
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noirdesir

No, I think it means that the four processor (core) machine with 1MB of L2 cache under (probably) ideal conditions is about twice as fast a similiarly clocked dual processor machine (4*2.5 = 1.88*2*2.7, LinPack).

I'm not following you. By Apple's own numbers:

(4 x 2.5)quad = 1.7 * (2 x 2.7)oldDual, for AE render.

Not 2x, 1.7x. (2.7/2.5)=1.08, so a (4 x 2.7)quad would empirically run at 1.83 of the dual speed, close to your number above.

This is almost twice, but not twice. Therefore, it seems likely the single dual-core 2.3 is empirically slower than the old 2.3 dual 970 model, right?

So slower, cheaper for Apple (one chip vs two), but the same price, right? My original point, then: Higher margins for Apple for slower hardware.

That said, I'm not complaining too loudly. Quite happy that Apple (finally) got on the PCI-e boat, and there will probably be more quad 970MP models at lower price levels before the PowerMac line goes Macintel.
  • Reply 54 of 176
    I'm really anxious to hear the real life reviews particularily

regarding heat and noise in the dual cores.

These chips may run more efficiently, but we have no proven track record

on how the dual core chips will hold up in the real world.

My only other concern is the durability of the liquid cooling system.

We're back to a REV "A" essentially with these new models, so I would strongly

advise buying AppleCare.
  • Reply 55 of 176
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I just about jizzed my shorts whe the magical word Quadro appeared in the new specs...

Here's the thing though...

Apple has no mention of SLI capabilities...

Yet they space the 16x & 8x slots apart, as if to allow space for two Quadros...

And the SLI v1 spec is for dual 8x slots, right...?!?

And we all know how Apple likes to cripple capabilities in early revisions, only to enable them as new features in later revisions...

Mmmm... Dual Quadros in SLI mode running quad 30" ACDs... That's what? 5120x3200? I just know those bastards down in the R&D labs at Cupertino have a patch to enable such a beastie... Probably had a custom bezel made for it, and got those LCDs as close as possible...

Or (if running quad GeForce 6600s) one could go either 6720x2100 (with octo 20" ACDs) or 7680x2400 (with octo 23" ACDs)...

I like the idea of the quad 30" ACDs running as one unified display, but in a sort of SLI mode...

You know, big and fast...!

That's what I would do, if my new numbers hit the Lotto...

4 8 14 15 23 42

Yeah...

;^p
  • Reply 56 of 176
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

That's what I would do, if my new numbers hit the Lotto...

4 8 14 15 23 42

Dude ! dont do it !! tho you might end up with hella boofy curly hair the chicks will prob love to play with, so maybe the risk is worth it.
  • Reply 57 of 176
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

I'm not following you. By Apple's own numbers:

(4 x 2.5)quad = 1.7 * (2 x 2.7)oldDual, for AE render.

Not 2x, 1.7x. (2.7/2.5)=1.08, so a (4 x 2.7)quad would empirically run at 1.83 of the dual speed, close to your

Did you see the small word I added in brackets:

Quote:

(4*2.5 = 1.88*2*2.7, LinPack)

and the other small word I had the sentence before:

Quote:

under (probably) ideal conditions

To summarize, using LinPack, Apple claims the 4x2.5GHz to be 88% faster than a 2x2.7GHz.

Now, I had a look at some more real-world benchmarks. Trying to compare apples with apples (i.e. 1 MB L2 cache with 1 MB L2 cache) and taking the biggest difference between the 2.3 GHz dual-core and the 2.5 GHz 2x dual-core I could find (AE +272% and the latter and +92% on the former) you can calculate a multiprocessor efficiency of 0.89 (3.72/1.92/2/(2.5/2.3)).

That means there are apps out there that can take nice advantage of multiple processors. But then again these are very few that really use the potential.
  • Reply 58 of 176
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by 4fx

......I just added a 6600GT to my PC and am relatively happy with it (upgraded from the FX5200). .......

YEAH!! 6600gt rulz !!11!11!

-mine is msi pci express 6600gt 128mb gddr3ram overclocked to 555mhz core 1.22ghz mem, copper heatsink... YEAH!!!111!!

edit:

oops i forgot to take my fanboy-suppressant pills today
  • Reply 59 of 176
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I understand the pent up feelings that guys are getting......

you sound like my bloody high skool gym teacher...

"you know, you guys are going to have urges, a lot of pent up feelings, and you're gonna want to do this stuff.... but you know, you gotta wait till it's right..."
  • Reply 60 of 176
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

Fortunately, there is a new PCI-Express Fibre Channel Card, but no Gigabit Ethernet card. Xsan users will have to wait.

How many Gigabit Ethernet ports do you need?