Aperture Requirements Conundrum / Error!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey,

I was browsing the apple store checking out Aperture and I was reading the requirements and noticed a confliction. They say that it works on a iMac 20" 1.8Ghz system, but then lower when they list out the video cards it requires they do not list the 9200 64MB card... which of course was the card that came with the 20" 1.8 iMac.

I called apple and they said that it was an error and you have to have a 128mb video card.

So anyway that pissed my off because I really wanted this program and now I don't believe it will run on it. So just a heads up for all you other Rev. A iMac owners.

John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Sell your iMac.

The new one is worth upgrading to IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The minimum requirements are astoundingly steep.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

The minimum requirements are astoundingly steep.

Yes, but it is designed to store "thousands" of projects, each containing up to 10 000 originals.

I'm sure they will release a light version or bring some features into iPhoto over time.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Aperture is aimed at the pros. There has been enough consumer action from Apple for awhile. It's good to see some serious stuff every once in awhile as well. So what if the requirements are steep.

This will only bring some nice new features to the consumer apps at some point.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Aperture is a high-end pro app. Its requirements are similiar to that of motion (dual 2GHz recommended, 2GB RAM recommended). iMac is a consumer product.

solutions = purchase a powermac!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think Aperture is both a great project management tool for photographers AND a very deliberate example to place before developers of the direction their software needs to take. Adobe, Avid, and many others have been dicking around on the Mac for years now and finally need to get with the program or get out of the way. I have no doubt in my mind that Apple has a Photoshop killer version of Aperture ready to go if needs be.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    The problem I have with Aperture is that it won't run on a 12" Powerbook which IS a PRO machine but has only a 64 MB video card. I want to run a 12" PB with a 20" Cinema Display and use this for my photo shoots as well!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I hate to break it to you, but a 12" powerbook isn't a pro machine in that respect. Just because apple brands it as such, doesn't mean pro's should be using seriously underpowered hardware to do professional work. Pro's will stick with the desktop as their main workstation.

Anyway, this is how Apple drives hardware sales- and thus how they stay in business. stop pining and be a good consumer. Buy often!

All your base are belong to Apple.