Is Steve Jobs a 'Gorilla Boss'?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Was/is Steve Jobs a 'Gorilla Boss'?

After reading this article is makes me wonder if some corporate bosses and political leaders have a jacked-up frontal cortex.

Gorilla Bosses Bring Jungle to the Workplace

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,172661,00.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Jobs has a condition called hypomania. Gorilla boss is pretty close. Hypomaniacs are very high achievers, yet have no soft skills whatsoever. They're phenomenal producers. But have are crude, boorish, prone to temper tantrums. Have major outbursts. Alienate and humiliate workers. Yeah! Gorilla boss fits the bill.

I should know. I have a gorilla boss. He's crossed so many people. The chances of a client or past worker returning with a gun is high! Violence has happened. Boss's car was smashed and he had a good beating.

More info

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/small...084274,00.html
  • Reply 2 of 8
    There's no doubt that 'Gorilla bosses' usually get the job done and can hit the numbers when they need to. Unfortunately they tend to over do it to the point where they lose talent and piss off good customers.

The quote below (from the original link) makes me think how Apple's design team is percieved by Steve Jobs since he's so much better at giving them proper credit recently:

Second, work to become indispensable, but do it quietly and without heroics. ?Do his job for him, don?t take credit,? Weiner said. ?He will take the credit and never thank you, but he won?t see you as a threat and he will know you?re indispensable. Just keep in mind these gorilla bosses are paranoid in that they think the betas are trying to get them.?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    I think Steve used to be that way but isn't any more.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

I think Steve used to be that way but isn't any more.

We all grow up at some point, but I have to wonder, without the force of steve jobs pushing it, would Apple have even lasted beond the initail IBM/Windows push of ~1989-1992?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Steve seems to thank all his staff and their families at the end of keynotes for all the hard work, effort, and time that is put into Apple's projects. If I were an Apple employee, I'd really appreciate the public acknowledgement even if I think he's a slave driver.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its a bit like listening to psychologists talking about Bush based upon his TV appearances. What we are allowed to perceive about both Bush and Jobs are going through so many filters that you are unable to deduct anything about them as persons from their public personas.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Its a bit like listening to psychologists talking about Bush based upon his TV appearances. What we are allowed to perceive about both Bush and Jobs is so little and its going through so many filters that you are unable to deduct anything about them as persons from their public personas.

• Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Its a bit like listening to psychologists talking about Bush based upon his TV appearances. What we are allowed to perceive about both Bush and Jobs are going through so many filters that you are unable to deduct anything about them as persons from their public personas.

There no doubt that leaders of companies and governments have some major pressure on them and that pressure can bring out both the best and worst of a person.

While 'pressure' to hit the numbers and/or meet the shareholders demands is a reasonable justifcation for a boss to 'over do it' once in a while but Gorilla bosses make a living out of 'over doing it'.

Im sure Jobs, Gates, and Ellison rank at the top of the foodchain among fellow Gorillas.