Apple updates iTunes to version 6.0.1

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released iTunes 6.0.1, which features several stability improvements over iTunes 6. As of press time, the software update was available only through the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism. "After purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store with iTunes 6 or later, you will also need to upgrade your other computers that purchase music from the iTunes Music Store to iTunes 6.0.1," the company said in the release notes. With iTunes 6.0.x lets users preview, buy, and download over 2,000 videos on the iTunes Music Store and then sync the music and purchased videos with an iPod.Â*To watch purchasedÂ*videos, users must also have Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    j@ffaj@ffa Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

?several stability improvements?

Mechanic: There we go.

You: Uh? all you did was leave my car/iTunes in the same state it was before!

Mechanic: Not exactly, I've added several STABILITY IMPROVEMENTS FOR T3H W1N!!!11!!!

Hmm...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I would laugh if I ever got what that meant.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    10.3.9 or later? What is the minimum version required for Windows? Honestly, I personally don't care, but what about those users that don't want to dish out money for a new Mac OS every year to watch videos....'

On second thought, am I understanding this correctly? Because I sent a pixar movie I bought to my sister who's running Panther and she was able to play it just fine.

EDIT: Or perhaps Apple MADE this a requirement with 6.0.1??????
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I'd guess that this is to fix the shared music vulnerability.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10...haring_glitch/
  • Reply 5 of 17
    phipphip Posts: 4member
    From the Software Update description:

Quote:

After purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store with iTunes 6 or later, you will also need to upgrade your other computers that purchase music from the iTunes Music Store to iTunes 6.0.1.

Hmm...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

10.3.9 or later? What is the minimum version required for Windows? Honestly, I personally don't care, but what about those users that don't want to dish out money for a new Mac OS every year to watch videos....'

On second thought, am I understanding this correctly? Because I sent a pixar movie I bought to my sister who's running Panther and she was able to play it just fine.

10.3.9 IS Panther. You don't have to pay for 10.x.x updates.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Since installing the 6.0.1 update iTunes crashes each time I try to launch it. Anyone else see this?

Steve
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

10.3.9 IS Panther. You don't have to pay for 10.x.x updates.

Oh yah.... I... knew that...

*I feel so stupid*
  • Reply 9 of 17
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    New and Improved DRM. Save now!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmaniac

Since installing the 6.0.1 update iTunes crashes each time I try to launch it. Anyone else see this?

Steve

Fine here. Tried repairing permissions? You might also be able to find iTunes' preferences .plist file and try deleting it.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Well, the minimum for Windows was and still is (since it was released) Windows XP or 2000... I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon - not as long as Longhorn still needs another year to get ready
  • Reply 12 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Ummmm...panther came out 2 years ago...they have to draw a line somewhere, they are limited by what is simply not possible in <=jaguar...Apple has added TONS of stuff beond the obvious dashboard and expose and safari since 10.2.x

Also: the 10.3.x->10.3.y updates are free, and one of the requierments for the store is broadband, so if you have broad band, just update, if not, then dont worry about it because there are really no new managment features that dont involve the store/podcasts.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Stability enhancements huh. So that is why it crashed on the first startup for me I guess. I also like how since iTunes 4.5 the visualizer hasn't been able to go above 14 fps. Oh well it's still the best music player in the world.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Fine here. Tried repairing permissions? You might also be able to find iTunes' preferences .plist file and try deleting it.

Thanks, Comm. I deleted the plist file and was able to launch iTunes. When I tried to access the Music Store however, it quit. Relaunched app and same thing happened. iTunes OK otherwise.

Steve
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Repairing disk permissions with Disk Utility did not help, and the Repair Permissions app quit on launch twice.

Steve B.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Hi Gang,

Found answer to my problem at Apple's iTunes Discussion page, believe it or not!

The culprit was Unsanity's haxie Silk, for which they had a fix at thier website. iTMS access now achieved!

Steve B. 8)
  • Reply 17 of 17
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmaniac

Hi Gang,

Found answer to my problem at Apple's iTunes Discussion page, believe it or not!

The culprit was Unsanity's haxie Silk, for which they had a fix at thier website. iTMS access now achieved!

Steve B. 8)

THANK GOODNESS!!

I can finally go to sleep!

glad it worked out for you.