10.5 "Leopard"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    Given Quartz-Extreme how much work would it be to rework Aqua to be res-independant anyway? they could pre-render all UI-assets both one step up and down to make things smoother - wouldn't take up too much memory would it?
  • Reply 22 of 83
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, they could do it three ways:

-All images displayed on screen are vectors. This would be pretty demanding of some cards, especially with the typical complexity of Aqua icons.

-Have the standard 32, 48, 64, 128 export set like they do for Dock icons, and then extropolate between them like Dock icons.

-Have the source vector art on the machine, then, you pick an image resolution size, and press Apply, and it goes through, rasterizes them, and places them in their respective locations in the UI resources file, taking twenty seconds or so.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    I think there are a few hints in Aperture that show the direction Leopard will take.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I think there are a few hints in Aperture that show the direction Leopard will take.

...explain...
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

...explain...

Yeah, sorry. One thing before you call me crazy, Aperture is a big app, with high hardware requirements, so I;m not sure what is realistic but the following are some guesses.

1. Extensive tools for Adding meta data to files.

2. If you watch the profile for the wedding photographer, you will see that Apple has implemented "Piles" into the application - watch the last 25% of the movie, he has a pile of photos on the layout board, he mouses over it, and they spread out. Pretty sure this one is getting into the finder.

3. Stacks - grouping similar files together. When you move one, they all move at the same time.

4. Previewing - I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that the finder is going to get a 3rd window for preview - like an email app. You will select a document, and you will be able to read it in the preview pane as opposed to having to open it in the application. This will work for word documents, pictures, movies, and audio.

5. More "full screen" modes - like slideshow. Less and less, you will be working on a "desktop" OSX is going to take advantage of the entire screen.

6. Tabs coming to the finder. Finder can be split into two panes, so if you want to move one file from one location to the next, you don't need to open two separate finder windows.

7. Nested folders and projects in the sidebar.

8. Query HUD - (view the professional project management for the demonstration of this - its a little past the halfway point.)

9. "Vaults" for backing up.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, sorry. One thing before you call me crazy, Aperture is a big app, with high hardware requirements, so I;m not sure what is realistic but the following are some guesses.

1. Extensive tools for Adding meta data to files.

2. If you watch the profile for the wedding photographer, you will see that Apple has implemented "Piles" into the application - watch the last 25% of the movie, he has a pile of photos on the layout board, he mouses over it, and they spread out. Pretty sure this one is getting into the finder.

3. Stacks - grouping similar files together. When you move one, they all move at the same time.

4. Previewing - I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that the finder is going to get a 3rd window for preview - like an email app. You will select a document, and you will be able to read it in the preview pane as opposed to having to open it in the application. This will work for word documents, pictures, movies, and audio.

5. More "full screen" modes - like slideshow. Less and less, you will be working on a "desktop" OSX is going to take advantage of the entire screen.

6. Tabs coming to the finder. Finder can be split into two panes, so if you want to move one file from one location to the next, you don't need to open two separate finder windows.

7. Nested folders and projects in the sidebar.

8. Query HUD - (view the professional project management for the demonstration of this - its a little past the halfway point.)

9. "Vaults" for backing up.

Good thinking. I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. Many people want these esoteric features, but what you've listed are real, tangible features that will help users get their work done day-to-day.

We can also see other hints as to what may come based on the latest iTunes releases. I amazed QuickTime Player is still brushed metal.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Well, I say no to full screen display. It makes sense for any pro apps, which demand all the real estate possible. But I have a 24" display that would be ridiculous if Leopard opened everything up that way. It's so MS Windows, anyhow.

I say no to "Piles" also, as things are going more Spotlight oriented in Tiger and Vista as well. It would be strange to spotlight a document, "show in finder" and try to yank it out of the "Pile". Smart folder finder would be interesting, with "Pictures" being every picture in the home folder, "Movies" being every movie on the hard drive, "Documents" being any document in the home folder. This would replace the manual sorting of files.

I'm looking forward to more 3D computing interface. I love in Aperture how sliders magnify, animated transitions for almost any action, and objects orientate depending on screen location, such as the loupe.

Everything is looking very 2D in Mac OS X, well somewhat 2D, and there's a lot that could be done. Everything in Mac OS X is looking like a raw database, such as iTunes list of songs, Mail list of subjects, Finder list of files, Address Book data fields... How about some of this awesome Apple 3D graphic interface stuff to go to the next level???
  • Reply 28 of 83
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

Everything is looking very 2D in Mac OS X, well somewhat 2D, and there's a lot that could be done. Everything in Mac OS X is looking like a raw database, such as iTunes list of songs, Mail list of subjects, Finder list of files, Address Book data fields... How about some of this awesome Apple 3D graphic interface stuff to go to the next level???

Because 'real' 3D doesn't work on a 2D screen. While it may look nice in the movies, it would just desorient people. Lot of folks already have trouble with x and y, let alone z ...

And (heavy) 3D-ising of windowborders and the like just look plain ugly. The way it's now IMO is just fine. But tastes differ.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    The question must also be asked regarding how many updates to Tiger we can expect considering that Apple would logically be putting most of their resources toward Leopard in order to knock out Vista, just as they appear to have done with their PPC engineers moving over to the Intel platform to create the first generation Intel Macs.

It has been quite some time since anyone discussed 10.4.3. If it is a rock-solid update (speculation), then what would keep Apple from freezing Tiger development there and allocating all assests to Leopard?
  • Reply 30 of 83
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i have decided that i won't buy another upgrade until the finder is totally revamped. anyone with me?

Acccording to this rumor, you will likely get your wish - AND the post above related to the 'hints' in the UI for Aperture are also accurate...But then again, Macosxrumors doesn't have the most accurate history...

http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles...-on-spotlight/
  • Reply 31 of 83
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

i can't believe how many spinning beach balls i get! in finder, in safari, all the time! (but still my 1ghz ibook g4 is clearly normal). So, uh, yeah, fix that.

I had the same problems on my Mac Mini after the tiger update and subsequently after the 10.4.2 update. but they were all fixed with repairing permittions. you would be amazed at what that can do for proformance.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Is it common for Apple to create new interface concepts and features in its PRO apps and then move them into the core OS later on?
  • Reply 33 of 83
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Is it common for Apple to create new interface concepts and features in its PRO apps and then move them into the core OS later on?

I wouldn't say there is a history of it, but that's partially because prior to Panther the OS was really in the general maturing phase; polish came with Tiger and will continue on Leopard.

Still, there is a growing trend if you follow the iTunes model. The basic concepts of Spotlight borrow from iTunes search functions. Word has it the next FINDER will borrow even more heavily from iTunes in Leopard. Also, there are a number of things I can't quite put my finger on, but after using Motion (a true Apple home-grown app) for a while there are just some things that seem 'familiar'. Perhaps its just solid and consistent design, but there are a few things in Aperture that I would expent in Leopard...

- 'Stacks' of documents so that like items/revisions can be grouped together.

- The horizontal Genie effect for expanding a folder.

- The highlight/connection/frame between selected folder and contents.

- The new "Spotlight" highight effect for selected items.

Still, the PRO apps have a decidedly PRO look to them. Apple does not struggle to hide confusing selections in the PRO apps like it does with the consumer apps. Some theme items will flow over, but they may not be 'recognizable' when the hit the OS.

Of couse, I may just be talking out my *ss again
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Still, there is a growing trend if you follow the iTunes model. The basic concepts of Spotlight borrow from iTunes search functions. Word has it the next FINDER will borrow even more heavily from iTunes in Leopard. Also, there are a number of things I can't quite put my finger on, but after using Motion (a true Apple home-grown app) for a while there are just some things that seem 'familiar'. Perhaps its just solid and consistent design, but there are a few things in Aperture that I would expent in Leopard...

I hope Apple does borrow from iTunes for the next Finder.

As of right now, a lot of people are frustrated by Spotlight because:

1) They think Spotlight is exclusively that little search icon in the top-right corner of their screen that does a global system-wide search by default and returns everything imaginable that contains the keyword that was typed in.

2) You start typing 3 letters and it tries to find something right away often beachballing the system to death (well...maybe not to death )

These 2 things can be cured easily *but*...

The sane thing is to fix the Finder's Spotlight. Right now you have to type something in the search field to start a search...then you get to narrow it down by filtering by 'location' or by a slew of other criteria such as 'file type' 'kind' 'date created' 'date modified' 'size' 'comment' etc.

What Apple needs to do (and I bet they knew this since day one but to make the change more gradual, they decided to give us this putrid garbage we have in the Finder today) is flip that whole concept around. Instead of typing something in first, they should let you narrow the criteria right away by browsing metadata.

"What are you looking for?" Picture. "Here are all your pictures. Are you looking for a RAW picture, a JPG picture, a PNG picture, a TIFF? and if you don't care are you looking for 'Family' pictures, 'Birthday' pictures, 'Vacation' pictures?" I'm looking for vacation pictures in JPG format. "Boom, there ya go 200 pictures." Ok, I'll find my Cancun pictures by typing in 'Cancun'.

Nothing should be typed in unless you really want to narrow your search...just like iTunes does it. Otherwise, if you start by typing in 'Cancun', you might get Cancun text files, movies, pictures, mail...when all you really wanted was Cancun pictures.

edit: just to make things clear, the computer wouldn't be asking questions like that...it would simply present a browsing interface ala iTunes with the metadata to narrow the search.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I had the same problems on my Mac Mini after the tiger update and subsequently after the 10.4.2 update. but they were all fixed with repairing permittions. you would be amazed at what that can do for proformance.

yeah, repairing permissions does always help for a while. how many mom-and-pop type users would have any idea how to do that though?
  • Reply 36 of 83
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

I never said that I don't wait. I wait. What surprises me is that the spinning beach ball is there during mundane tasks even on the fastest Macs around. It just seems like there is a fundamental flaw if that is happening.

Have you ever thought of running the Mac hardware testing CD, run the full test as to make sure that your memory isn't rooted.

Like I've said, I have two computers; pumped up to the gills with a heap of software - stuffit, Adobe, Reason etc. etc. hardly small fry - and yet, everything works nicely. Yes, I did have an issue with a Mac once, but it was isolated to a crap-o-la memory module which was as dodgy as a shithouse rat.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I hope Apple does borrow from iTunes for the next Finder.

As of right now, a lot of people are frustrated by Spotlight because:

1) They think Spotlight is exclusively that little search icon in the top-right corner of their screen that does a global system-wide search by default and returns everything imaginable that contains the keyword that was typed in.

2) You start typing 3 letters and it tries to find something right away often beachballing the system to death (well...maybe not to death )

These 2 things can be cured easily *but*...

The sane thing is to fix the Finder's Spotlight. Right now you have to type something in the search field to start a search...then you get to narrow it down by filtering by 'location' or by a slew of other criteria such as 'file type' 'kind' 'date created' 'date modified' 'size' 'comment' etc.

What Apple needs to do (and I bet they knew this since day one but to make the change more gradual, they decided to give us this putrid garbage we have in the Finder today) is flip that whole concept around. Instead of typing something in first, they should let you narrow the criteria right away by browsing metadata.

"What are you looking for?" Picture. "Here are all your pictures. Are you looking for a RAW picture, a JPG picture, a PNG picture, a TIFF? and if you don't care are you looking for 'Family' pictures, 'Birthday' pictures, 'Vacation' pictures?" I'm looking for vacation pictures in JPG format. "Boom, there ya go 200 pictures." Ok, I'll find my Cancun pictures by typing in 'Cancun'.

Nothing should be typed in unless you really want to narrow your search...just like iTunes does it. Otherwise, if you start by typing in 'Cancun', you might get Cancun text files, movies, pictures, mail...when all you really wanted was Cancun pictures.

edit: just to make things clear, the computer wouldn't be asking questions like that...it would simply present a browsing interface ala iTunes with the metadata to narrow the search.

You would have to have a syntax language; for example

Family Birthday pictures, picture of Pete with a birthday cake, and in jpeg format would have to be done like

Family Birthday (Pete (Cake)) Format=jpeg
  • Reply 38 of 83
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

yeah, repairing permissions does always help for a while. how many mom-and-pop type users would have any idea how to do that though?

Would be an idea for 10.5: (default) repair permissions 'in the background' while starting up, say on a weekly or monthly basis. Mom and pop wouldn't know about it, and their computer stays healthy. (You could, ofcourse, switch this function off in the System Pref's.)
  • Reply 39 of 83
    All i really want is the ability to mount FTP (and SFTP) in the finder. Please Apple! it won;t be all that hard.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    I don't know what you mean with mounting FTP in finder, but at least I can mount FTP fine in my finder ( GO > Connect to Server).