Quadro FX 4500 or GeForce 6600 for gaming?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Given that the Quadro FX 4500 is a high-end workstation card, would it also be better for games than the GeForce 6600?

Thanks to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Yup the FX would be a lot faster. 256mbit memory interface among other advantages.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Yup the FX would be a lot faster. 256mbit memory interface among other advantages.

Thanks a lot.

I wasn't sure it would work optimally for games like a high-end consumer card would.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

That's not the general consensus at CGtalk from people who use the Quadro. I'm not sure about that 6600 in particular vs the QuadroFX 4500, but a 6800 Ultra would kill it in games, and regular usage. I think a 6800 GT would too if it exists.

Toms hardware has had some comparisons on these cards for their particular usage in the past also, and they pretty much have the same outcome. Normally the standard high end graphics card beats out the Pro 3D card in the gaming category by a pretty good margin.

If I were you buddy I would either hold out for the 7800, or wait to see what PCI-E graphics card ATI offers for the new PowerMac. You could probably save quite a bit of money. There may even be a 6800 Ultra PCI-E card for the PC that will work. Apple's drivers will probably recognize it, but you may have to flash your firmware with the 6800 ware from the AGP version.. Then again you may be able to plug one right in. That actuallly spawned a few a good questions.

• Reply 4 of 34
    I agree waiting for the 7800gtx would be the best solution. As much as I like the QFX 4500 I realize that it's made for working with programs like Maya first and foremost. But it is better than the 6600 no question about it.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

I agree waiting for the 7800gtx would be the best solution. As much as I like the QFX 4500 I realize that it's made for working with programs like Maya first and foremost. But it is better than the 6600 no question about it.

On that card I would probably have to agree, but the price vs. performance ratio would make me go to the 6600, and another/better gaming card later on. That's if I wasn't neck deep into Maya that is.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:

nVidia Quadro FX 4500 was release on July 28th. The Quadro FX 4800 is based on the G70 architecture, featuring 24 pixel processors, 8 vertex processors, 512MB of GDDR3 memory clocked at 1050MHz and a currently undisclosed core clock speed. The card uses a dual slot cooling system and offers geometry performance 36% higher than the FX 4400 and a fill rate almost three times that of it's predecessor.

My gawd what a card.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That's not the general consensus at CGtalk from people who use the Quadro. I'm not sure about that 6600 in particular vs the QuadroFX 4500, but a 6800 Ultra would kill it in games, and regular usage. I think a 6800 GT would too if it exists.

This may be a driver optimization issue, which would likely mean a different situation on the Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Careful! the quattro occupies 2 slots!

.. not that there is a SINGLE FREAKIN THING you can currently put into the other slots, apart from some 6600 cards, which I don't even think Apple sells by themselves yet.

I have no choice but to wait until firmtek (or someone else) introduces an external SATA controller for PCI-E. The problem with Apple's secrecy is that they get themselves into binds where there's not a damn thing vendors can do to ride the wave of the initial sale.

It hurts Apple too, as those products COMPLIMENT (econ term, sorry) the computer sales.

Whatever, I have a DP 2.5 G5 with a 6800U.. sucks to be stuck with a 6600!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

This may be a driver optimization issue, which would likely mean a different situation on the Mac.

It is certainly a driver issue on the PC side -- we really won't know how it is on the Mac side of things until someone gets one and tests out some games.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    There should be different driver updates if you have the QuadroFX installed. Software update recognizes different hardware, software, and other misc items. I never had any kind of drivers, or updates for Airport stuff until I got one. And now I get them all. Same with iPod software updates. Never had one until I plugged one in.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Wasn't quattro the name of the mutant marsian in Total Recall?

He may have been the "good" guy but he still freaked me out.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    That was Kuato. And the Nvidia Card is a Quadro, Not Quattro. A Quattro is an Audi, or something.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

NO. The quadro is meant to do real work, which incidentally is not nearly as well conceived or as tightly coded as games are. . . (pax americana as its purest). The GeForce will save you some cash and will give you better game performance. Of course, the crazy truth is that the quadro is total overkill for most real work as well, since most people don't use interactive rendering all that much.

Quote:

That was Kuato. And the Nvidia Card is a Quadro, Not Quattro. A Quattro is an Audi, or something.

That wacky Kuato. . . If I remember correctly, "Quadro" originally meant that it had a quad pipeline! Isn't it nuts how far things have come. . .
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

quattro is the all wheel drive system used in Audi cars; any car named quattro doesn't exist anymore.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

quattro is the all wheel drive system used in Audi cars; any car named quattro doesn't exist anymore.

My brother owns a quattro. Great car, but it can't render worth a ...

Re: the 7800 GT, it now says "Available soon" on the powermac graphics page -

http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html

There is hope after all.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by bjewett

My brother owns a quattro. Great car, but it can't render worth a ...

Re: the 7800 GT, it now says "Available soon" on the powermac graphics page -

http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html

There is hope after all.

That is Awesome news! Probably deserving of it's own thread. It's smart of Apple to go with the GT instead of the GTX. I know a lot of people would like to see the GTX, but the sales of cards would get far too diluted. The less expensive GT will sell better anyway.

I think I'll be ordering my Quad G5 in about 2 weeks instead of after the beginning of the year now though. I'm just way to excited to wait now that I can finally get a QuadroFX, and I've bitched about it for so long I have to have it. I just can't wait that long.

Quote:

Originally posted at Apple.com

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT

Need faster performance for motion graphics, animation, and 3D design and visualization? Upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT, designed to accelerate the latest creative applications and blockbuster games. (Available soon.)

• Reply 17 of 34
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Through my experience of using quadros for gaming I have never been short of impressed. These cards are essentially (so I've been told) gaming cards with different drivers (although it is not a simple as that). A 3000 quadro has no problem playing HL2 at 1280x1024 high settings.

The quadro 4500 should thrash a 6600 and even the 6800.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    I think the thread is titled poorly. People shouldn't get the wrong idea about this card. It's not a high performance gaming card. It's not intended for that. I for one don't think it would outperform a 6800 Ultra, but it will outperform a 7800 GT,(in halo) but probably not a 7800 GTX.

I think DOOM is a better game to spec these cards on. I think Apple chose something in favor of selling more Quadro's when they chose to spec these cards in a comparative manner with Halo at their site. They should have used DOOM. I Also think they did it to avoid PC comparison, but thats neither here nor there.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I have to agree, it is not designed to be a high performance gaming card, but it does deliver very high performance in gaming, least in my experience.

This card is probably faster than any 6000 series geforce, but it is probably slower than the 7800GT and GTX - as both of these cards have higher clocked memory and GPUs, as well as more dedicated drivers. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    It depends on the game. Apple site says it's faster than the 7800 GT in Halo, but I think Halo isn't the best game for comparison. I wonder if Quake 4 is coming to the Mac. ?