Wall Street: Apple To Ship 1.3 Million iMacs This Year

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Sales are strong. Go here for the article:

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-842267.html?tag=cd_mh"; target="_blank">http://news.com.com/2100-1040-842267.html?tag=cd_mh</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The future is looking not bad.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Think how much better sales would be if people could actually go to the store right now and actually GET ONE.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    Think mow much better sales would be if they would run TV COMERCIALS. (And no those Pixar ones are not commercials)
  • Reply 4 of 53
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I wonder how many of those iMacs are the highest models. $1800 * 1.3 mil is 2.34 BILLION dollars of revenue.,
  • Reply 5 of 53
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Think how much better the future would be (and the market share) if Apple offered a $999 G4 tower for those not attracted to an all in one?.................
  • Reply 6 of 53
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Think how much better sales would be if people could actually go to the store right now and actually GET ONE.</strong><hr></blockquote>

my campus store has imacs...
  • Reply 7 of 53
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    That bar seems pretty high...almost intentionally high so they can cast doom/gloom doubts on Apple later.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    AND the rest, I betting on + 2.5m by Jan 2003 - what a coup!
  • Reply 9 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by janitor:

<strong>

my campus store has imacs...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it's just the display one, tho
  • Reply 10 of 53
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    You sure it isnt 1.3 million/ quarter?

In Apple's best days, about one million were sold per quarter. Wasnt Apple selling 600,000/quarter in 2000?
  • Reply 11 of 53
    MajorMatt, 1.3 million of one product line in on year is about in line with previous years. Add in iBook sales approaching several hundred thousands and Power Macs and PowerBooks in that range too, and you have about ~4 million units sold.

Apple's marketshare is around 3%. That's in line with computer sales of 130-140 million units a year.

Apple peaked with the original iMac at 800,000 units sold in the first 5 months. That accounts for introductory popularity and a strong fall quarter.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 53
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I really don't see how imac sales could ever come down this year. the product just has too much potential.

They can do so much to it with this design and get the people on the edge of buying to buy.

1Ghz G4 in the summer/fall?

Cheaper high end?

17 inch display for more $?

Geforce 4MX?

bigger drives and ram

more updates to the iapp suite and possible hardware to go along with them
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Initial orders aren't good indicators of popularity. The new iMac's entry price and design is still untested. There could be a serious drop off of iMac orders in 2 months. Who knows. Personally, despite Phil Schiller's claims, I don't think the current iMac is selling better than the original.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    I agree with Eugene, and would love to know the real story.

Thanks for a good thread!

Sincerely,

Dr. L
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Apple had 150.000 preorders for the iMac 1 in 3 month and same number for iMac 2 in 3 weeks. If they could manage to produce faster, they can sell &gt; 2.000.000 this year, I presume.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    SemiConductor, you are so funny! I'd love for you to prove me wrong, but that just isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I think apple could hit 1.5 million with a update before the holiday buying season, or even with a MWNY update for collage bound kids. Making your own dvd's will be a huge draw, I think apple will sell about 600,000 high-end iMacs. I have huge dreams
  • Reply 18 of 53
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    I don't know anyone who's planning to buy one.

In fact everyone I know says the same thing:

"Nice case, shame about the sh*t inside it"
  • Reply 19 of 53
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Oh, iMacs, I thought it was units for a second.

My mistake.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    While at CompUSA in Manhatten today for about 45 minutes:

2 iMacs preordered (believe high end on both)

1 14 inch iBook

1 1499 12.1 inch iBook

1 iPod

and a bunch of software

not too bad. imac was attracting a lot of attention especially from PC users. PowerMacs nothing except for the DP 1Ghz but only because it was attached to a Cinema display