DOOM: The Movie

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
What do ya think? Please chime in!

I will post a review soon. I jus saw it today and need to let it digest before I begin my fire my BFG (Big F*uckin' Gripe)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    I think for me this movie will be like a bad accident. I'll just have to look at it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    How many frames per second did your movie theater get.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

• Reply 4 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I doubt hardcore FPS players can go see it because it's <30fps.

The actual Doom games have never been about fps, as long as you have enough computer to play. The fps jokes would fit Quake and co. much better.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Still waiting for a review? anyone seen it? How was it?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I was going to see it this afternoon but I had to shovel gravel.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    OK. My review, as promised. Warning! This post discloses information you may not want to read if you plan on seeing the movie!

---------------------------------------------

Here is what I liked:

Cool FPS POV fight scene with Pinky Demon - amazing. Worth $7 for the fight alone. Scary! I felt like it was to placate the gamers, but it actually was damn cool. I think this scene was expensive to make. I felt like I was in the game.

Looked a lot like Doom 3 levels. Dark, Metal. Sterile. Isolated. Lots of ladders, vents, stairs and hallways.

Decent music usually

No love scenes. No T & A shots.

Cool references to the ID Software crew

Monsters look pretty cool usually. Very accurate to the game I think.

I liked how Sarge ended up being a bad guy. Not accurate to the game, but it was a nice surprise. Kill the Rock! The Rock must die!

BFG was cool

-------------------------------------------

Here is what was the suck:

The fist fight/martial art fight scene was LAME.

Only a few Doom monsters appear in the film, and only 1 time each. No onslaught of Demons from all sides.

I missed my favorite monsters like the Arch Vile! No Cacodemon! No Spiders, No flying skulls, no Possessed Marines.

The ending credits were amaturish and so so very sad indeed.

The plot has nothing to do with Hell. In fact, each monster is not from Hell, they are humans who have been modified genetically, thus there is actually a human in the begining of the movie named "Pinky", who later on - yes, you guessed it - becomes "The Pinky Demon".

The use of the Teleport technology in Doom 3 is what connects Earth to Mars. I didn't like this at all. And no portal to Hell...

No Occult references.

No battle scenes on the surface of Mars, all of it takes place in hallways and internally.

Too much swearing. I'm a liberal guy, but the F-bomb was silly.

The general story line was Wayyy off base from the game. And the characters were weak and lame. This movie could have been just another Aliens knock-off and never even mentioned the word Doom.

Too many one-liners. But hey, it's not Shakesphere, right?

Monsters ran away too much. They were not very agressive. They hide and retreated just as much as they attacked.

Horrible continuity. Watch it closely. Cut!

The Rock.

Not understaning of why the power and electricty worked sometimes and didnt work at other times. Seemed to cater the camera lighting needs rather than the darkness of the game. Sometimes they would simply clcik on a light switch and look around in a room, as opposed to being forced to creep in the dark like the game.

Geek alert: Flashlights were built into the guns! Grrrr! At least they could have made a joke about "remember when we had to carry a flashight AND a gun, Sarge?" LOL. This made me mad in Doom 3...

I think the voice acting in Doom 3 was better than a lot of the acting by the movie cast.

I wish it was focused on 1 man rather than a team of the 7 dwarfs (druggie, noobie, horny, macho and resentful)

They actually ripped-off the trash compactor scene from Star Wars!

The story inplies that the UAC is behind some cover up/conspiracy ala the X-Files. Watergate on Mars!

STUPID flashback implications revolving around a brother-sister experience where their parents were killed on Mars. Such a poor attempt at back-story and character development. "Is this where it happend, Reaper?" (sniff)

-------------------------------------

I enjoyed the film. I loved the game and have played every Doom and Quake since the early days. I didnt go in to the theatre with high expectations. I had fun. It wasnt very accurate, but then again, ID Software has never been good at providing a compelling story in the first place.

I think the Half-Life game series would be WAY better as a film to be honest. As much as I love the Doom games, I must admit that there isnt much to build on in terms of a motion picture epic story line without some creative brainstorming on the writers behalf to add some meat to the story.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I enjoyed the film. I loved the game and have played every Doom and Quake since the early days. I didnt go in to the theatre with high expectations. I had fun. It wasnt very accurate, but then again, ID Software has never been good at providing a compelling story in the first place.

I think the Half-Life game series would be WAY better as a film to be honest. As much as I love the Doom games, I must admit that there isnt much to build on in terms of a motion picture epic story line without some creative brainstorming on the writers behalf to add some meat to the story.

Hmm. I think done right Doom would actually make a decent movie just by staying true to Doom 1. There would need to be basically no other characters who survive more than a minute. No character development. Just gruesome, shocking raw horror for a few seconds at a time, intertwined with foreboding slower sequences which set the rhythm right and advance the plot piece by piece - after all the guy basically has no idea why everything is going so bad. It would need to slow down pretty much from the game, of course, and much less mass slaughter. At the end, Hell sequence, just 10 minutes. Doom Guy finds and kills one major demon. I'm specifically thinking of this movie called "Audition" for influences. It had such sick last 15 minutes that it literally had me squeezing armrests, fight or flight reflex attempting to kick in, it was hard to sit down and watch. (Many people left the theater, too.) Hell should be like this, just pouring those tortured people and demons on you. If there is a calm moment to look around and think "Yeah... Hell. So?" the thing needs to be cut shorter. Hell has to be a frame of mind half pain and half scared witless. If the frame of mind drops just for a second and there is only a visual, it doesn't work. This also means there can't be a multi-minute open horror/action sequence anywhere else in the movie, because it drains people. They have to have the energy for the finale.

Would take a hell of a director to make that work, but I'm sure someone could. Probably not anyone who'd pass the Hollywood acceptance test, though, and the movie's age rating would go up as I understand there is still one rating above what Doom has now.

So as a whole it'd be sort of an 2-hour horror/adventure thing with no attempt to stuff it with lighter, comical moments. Maybe just one scene where the Doom guy has trouble with flashlight and gun In other words, nothing that distracts from the rollercoaster-experience unless you want it to.

Other reaction...

very cool, extensive review, thank you!

one-liners - there are one-liners in Doom3? I'm sure there wasn't a single comment from the Doom Guy in Doom 1 + 2.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I liked how Sarge ended up being a bad guy. Not accurate to the game, but it was a nice surprise.

Er, you don't remember Sarge from Doom 3? "Sarge is waiting for you"?