iPod mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What if Apple made an iPod-type über-mouse which would be handheld, BT, and laser interactive with the display monitor? Future OSXs could contain Expose, Widgets or whatever, multiplied by factors of Xs--all controlled by a touch sensitive click-wheel remote device. Good bye and good riddens to the old clunky 'finder'.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I swear to god. Somewhere out there there must be some generator with all words associated to Apple. When you press a button it generates two or more words, like "Powermac, iPod", "Mac mini, Newton", "Airport, Firewire", "Cinema display, iSight" or "Click wheel, eMac, Bluetooth, G5, Pippin", wrap a more or less plausible story around it, highjack an account here and post it.

Disclaimer: With this I don´t imply that this is a bad thread. Take it as a general observation
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I swear to god. Somewhere out there there must be some generator with all words associated to Apple. When you press a button it generates two or more words, like "Powermac, iPod", "Mac mini, Newton", "Airport, Firewire", "Cinema display, iSight" or "Click wheel, eMac, Bluetooth, G5, Pippin", wrap a more or less plausible story around it, highjack an account here and post it.

Disclaimer: With this I don´t imply that this is a bad thread. Take it as a general observation

Wow! Swearing to God, nonetheless. On my next post I'll try and be more careful not to generate redundant suggestions which may include those god-awful Apple words you've regenerated for us above. Of course, with over 4000 posts under your belt, I guess you've earned the right to call neophyte posters like me 'hijackers'. Oh, and thanks for the kind but belittling disclaimer.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I did not put that in just to cover my bases. I meant it.

But let this thread continue, comments on the original post.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jiggy05

What if Apple made an iPod-type über-mouse which would be handheld, BT, and laser interactive with the display monitor? Future OSXs could contain Expose, Widgets or whatever, multiplied by factors of Xs--all controlled by a touch sensitive click-wheel remote device. Good bye and good riddens to the old clunky 'finder'.

So what you're talking about is roughly speaking a laser pointer with click wheel? It sounds like a potentially decent mouse replacement for couch use. Probably no good for extended desk use due to ergonomics.

So now we got a wheel mouse equivalent. We still need the software magic that is supposed to replace Finder. I assume this was a "vision" type of thing and does not translate well into any mortal language. Including code.

Actually there is something I'd like to know about the subject. We have had "light guns" for quite a while now. But is it possible to make a controller that works like a pointer but tracks continuously, so you could really control the mouse cursor with it and e.g. see tooltips?

An actual laser pointer can, of course, be used to indicate position to the user, but not to the computer.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Actually there is something I'd like to know about the subject. We have had "light guns" for quite a while now. But is it possible to make a controller that works like a pointer but tracks continuously, so you could really control the mouse cursor with it and e.g. see tooltips?

An actual laser pointer can, of course, be used to indicate position to the user, but not to the computer.

I want little crosshairs to appear every time I point it at a Windows computer
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Actually, it sound an awful lot like the logical progression of the new Apple Remote (which is iteslf iPodesque).
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Agreed.