Pictures of disassembled iMac G5-iSight

pbpb
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Here are the pictures. It is interesting to see how Apple tried to isolate the G5 processor and the cooling system from the rest of the motherboard. It looks like a decent effort to address the heat problems that plagued these machines from the very beginning. Waiting for the first user reports.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It must be nice to be able to afford to tear apart a machine, void the warranty, and have little hope of getting it back together correctly.

• Reply 2 of 14
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Stupid question: Is RAM still user installable on the new iMacs? It appears this iMac was tore apart front to back. Does the back not easily pop off any longer? Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I am saddened to learn that the RAM is the only user-serviceable part on the new iMac G5s. That's a definite regression. I'm all for FULL user servicability...WTF?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Stupid question: Is RAM still user installable on the new iMacs? It appears this iMac was tore apart front to back. Does the back not easily pop off any longer? Thanks.

There's apparenly a little panel that pops off for RAM, but the rest is supposedly non user-servicable...it's probably still possible to upgrade some other components (ie: HDDs etc...)
  • Reply 5 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

There's apparenly a little panel that pops off for RAM, but the rest is supposedly non user-servicable...it's probably still possible to upgrade some other components (ie: HDDs etc...)

It appears that in this iMac model, memory is the only user-accessible part of the machine.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    can't see a PSU on that pic - is it stll internal I wonder?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

It appears that in this iMac model, memory is the only user-accessible part of the machine.

Hmm. Page 56 i the manual is named "Installing MacOS 9". It doesn´t say Classic?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Hmm. Page 56 i the manual is named "Installing MacOS 9". It doesn´t say Classic?

They say in the description ?Install Mac OS 9 System Support?. That's Classic. And that's what they should say in the title, not just ?Installing Mac OS 9?. Just a minor wording goof up, irrelevant for newcomers to the Macintosh, and the old ones too since they know what's up.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    If you click next at the bottom of the page it will show a comparison between the old 17" G5 and the new one. You can see the Power Supply is located up at the top.

One thing that is interesting is the speakers look quite a bit larger. I wonder if they sound better than the ones in the previous iMac G5.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

If you click next at the bottom of the page...

Where?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    still can't tell from the picture if the PSU is internal.

Sure, I can see the power is top left, but is it a PSU or just power distribution?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Where?

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imacg5_isight/imacg502i.html
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imacg5_isight/imacg502i.html

Yeah, thanks, it took me some time to realize that he talks about the kodawarisan page, not the Apple one.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    looks like the G5 is liquid cooled!

There's copper pipes coming off it!!!