New Quad G5 and OS X question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sorry if this question has been asked--

If I have a software program like Macromedia Director MX. and I buy a Dual Core G5. Will Macromedia be able to take advantage of the Q-G5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Sorry if this question has been asked--

If I have a software program like Macromedia Director MX. and I buy a Dual Core G5. Will Macromedia be able to take advantage of the Q-G5?

If I am not mistaken, which i could be, the UNIX kernel takes care of threading and process managment. that means if the OS can do it, the software should follow. Keep an eye out however, because Macromedia could potentialy release an update to it for optimization.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I doubt that Macromedia would release an update since if it's properly hyperthreaded at the moment, there shouldn't be any problem with it using four cores.

But in any case, if you use the Macromedia suite with all apps launched at once, you'll see a performance advantage since each will have its own core. (unless I don't understant this)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    It entirely depends on the application design of Director MX. If this application is compute bound, ie, you have to wait for it do something, then presumably Macromedia could make this portion of the application multithreaded, and you'll see a good performance improvement, with shorter wait times.

If Director MX isn't compute bound, the G5 Quad won't help too much.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    It's hard to tell from the spec' on their site if they support dual CPUs.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

It's hard to tell from the spec' on their site if they support dual CPUs.

The question isn't support but how well they thread the application; for example, games companies don't generally multi-thread their games, hence, they wouldn't get any benefit from the likes of hyperthreading (SMT) or dual core configurations (CMT).

I would find it hard to beleive, however, that Macromedia and Adobe haven't properly threaded their applications, but with that said, it depends on how heavily they've threaded their applications.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwai

The question isn't support but how well they thread the application; ...

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote "support".
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote "support".

The use of support can be rather misleading as it brings up conotations of whether the application is actually supported in terms of whether it will run or not - the fact is, the issue isn't whether it is supported but how well it supports CMT/SMP - its akin to two products and one suports a certain feature better than another - both support it, but one is better.