Wall Street: Apple To Ship 1.3 Million iMacs This Year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Yikes, thats rather good...

What Apple really need to do is cater for the lower end market. By MWNY, what could the low end be sold for? 999?

if so, do it. Make a $999 (sameish specs) for the people who bought a ton of the low end imacs before who can't afford it now (especially w/this economy), and make the high end one a 17" LCD like applenut says.

A 1GHZ G4 w/17" LCD is definatly enough to power the imac on from MWNY to the close of the year...
  • Reply 22 of 53
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by spooky:

<strong>I don't know anyone who's planning to buy one.

In fact everyone I know says the same thing:

"Nice case, shame about the sh*t inside it"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, there's about 150,000 people so far that you don't know. My wife got one, I convinced a PC client of mine to get one. Not to be rude, but seriously, how many people do you know? That has no bearing on the sales of the iMac.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    now the interesting thing to see will be how many iMac G3s apple sells this year...g

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 53
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

Well, there's about 150,000 people so far that you don't know. My wife got one, I convinced a PC client of mine to get one. Not to be rude, but seriously, how many people do you know? That has no bearing on the sales of the iMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Granted in the greater scheme of things I don't know many people but in total I have canvassed:

550 people - my students and fellow staff

1051 people - friends, acquaintances and people I have worked with / for, companies we buy stuff from

not one of them is impressed. Mind you some of them like me are really fed up about apple's so called pro range - the imac gets off lightly by comparison.

Given the poor share of the uk market how much revenue does even half the number of people above represent?
  • Reply 25 of 53
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Spooky has a fair point about lack of frenzy for the new imac across here but only because very few people are aware it exists. No media coverage whatsoever ( I'm afraid Time magazine isn't big ) Until we see it appear in retail stores and see the ordinary consumer reraction we won't know. However, i work in a large school and the reaction so far has been great. Impressed mainly I have to say with the small footprint compared with the lumbering Dells which take up valuable space and the contrast in looks. Kids are seriously impressed by something that looks cool. Unfortunately that initial interest is usually followed by the question about why there are no games for it.............sigh
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Any info on the midrange iMac shipping?

Dr. L
  • Reply 27 of 53
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    spooky, now that's FUD. You can't possibly know what a thousand people are thinking.

And jinmac, TIME is big. Being on the cover of TIME is some of the biggest publicity Apple has ever gotten.

If Apple does sell 1+ million, it will be because of TIME.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    I talked to a Apple seller saturday and he said, that Apple delivered about 75.000 Imac 2nd generation and still has &gt;250.000 preorders. This means &gt;325.000 orders @ six weeks. Preorders 1st iMac 150.000 @ 26 weeks. Think about this numbers.

If people can see the new iMac in reality, more will follow. It is the bestlooking desktop computer i've ever seen. Almost everybody is saying the same and if you have no need for speed...
  • Reply 29 of 53
    I think part of the advertising thing is how it looks. It looks awesome in person, but different in commercials etc. When people see it in person, they will get an entirely different impression and actually give it a chance....
  • Reply 30 of 53
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    [quote] Granted in the greater scheme of things I don't know many people but in total I have canvassed:

550 people - my students and fellow staff

1051 people - friends, acquaintances and people I have worked with / for, companies we buy stuff from

not one of them is impressed. Mind you some of them like me are really fed up about apple's so called pro range - the imac gets off lightly by comparison.

Given the poor share of the uk market how much revenue does even half the number of people above represent?

<hr></blockquote>

Dude, your freinds/family/students have "Sh*t inside"
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Sorry, Eugene, I wasn't talking about worldwide - I was talking about the UK because that's what spooky was on about . Apple isn't big here - Time magazine isn't big here and if Apple wants to sell here they have got to pay a lot more attention to the education market such as spooky was describing. A bit of airtime would also help although I noticed that one of the big newspapers, The Guardian, had the glossy spread on it at the weekend. Don't get me wrong. I think its a great machine but you may need different tactics for different markets.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    I think a lot of people were holding off purchasing a new computer because they knew from rumours that the LCD iMac was coming. So that is why the flat-panel iMac had a lot of pre-orders in the first 3 weeks... because people were actually waiting since MWNY 2001 for it.

It is difficult to say if the new iMac will be as popular as the original. I have one and love it. But until someone can walk into an apple store, play with the display model, and walk out with one the same day... we won't know. Currently, if someone wants to buy one they have 5 weeks wait or more. This may even be why apple is not advertising them.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by Crusader:

<strong>

Dude, your freinds/family/students have "Sh*t inside"</strong><hr></blockquote>

My, how cultured and sophisticated americans are.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    [quote] My, how cultured and sophisticated americans are. <hr></blockquote>

Point taken, but I'm not convinced exaggeration that boarders on lying epitomizes culture or sophistication, either.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>

Point taken, but I'm not convinced exaggeration that boarders on lying epitomizes culture or sophistication, either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is this your way of calling me a liar?

This is exactly what has become wrong with the Mac world these days. There is no open exchange of views - just smug idiots like PookJP who have nothing better to do than insult people day in day out.

What I posted is correct and whilst so called mac users like you live in constant denial the mac is always in danger in disappearing.

I don't care if you don't like me or what I say but DON'T EVER CALL ME A LIAR AGAIN

• Reply 36 of 53
    say just one nice thing about an apple computer...even just once spooky and i'll understand why you are here...if not, you're just a troll in a nicer suit hanging at a site where you dislike all the people that come here....just strange....apple [quote] is always in danger in disappearing. <hr></blockquote> for the last 25 years...can they make better computers? yes...can they add more options? yes....and i'm hoping that they do keep improving and giving more to the consumer and to the pro user....but they can't make dell computers and survive, and i don't want them to make dell computers....i want apple to improve and to survive....do you??? i doubt it, except then you couldn't come here and talk badly about apple and their computers......g

and your getting mad at others is quite strange to me...maybe it is the difference between american and british....but you came to a topic about apple shipping 1.3 million iMacs with this quote [quote] I don't know anyone who's planning to buy one.

In fact everyone I know says the same thing:

"Nice case, shame about the sh*t inside it"

<hr></blockquote> sounds like you where looking for a fight to me....maybe i am misreading....g
  • Reply 37 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by spooky:

<strong>

Is this your way of calling me a liar?

This is exactly what has become wrong with the Mac world these days. There is no open exchange of views - just smug idiots like PookJP who have nothing better to do than insult people day in day out.

What I posted is correct and whilst so called mac users like you live in constant denial the mac is always in danger in disappearing.

I don't care if you don't like me or what I say but DON'T EVER CALL ME A LIAR AGAIN

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You do have a tendency for hyperbole considering you just made a sweeping generalization about a nation of 300+ million from a single American's post.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by SemiConductor:

<strong>I talked to a Apple seller saturday and he said, that Apple delivered about 75.000 Imac 2nd generation and still has &gt;250.000 preorders. This means &gt;325.000 orders @ six weeks. Preorders 1st iMac 150.000 @ 26 weeks. Think about this numbers.

If people can see the new iMac in reality, more will follow. It is the bestlooking desktop computer i've ever seen. Almost everybody is saying the same and if you have no need for speed...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Original iMac = 800000 sold in 4.5 months. I don't think the new iMac will break that record.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Spooky, and like everyone he says, there's no way you can know what 1000 of your acquaintances think. And there's no way you can tell immediately if they have changed minds. Someone's a little past 90 degrees here...
  • Reply 40 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>say just one nice thing about an apple computer...even just once spooky and i'll understand why you are here...if not, you're just a troll in a nicer suit hanging at a site where you dislike all the people that come here....just strange....apple sounds like you where looking for a fight to me....maybe i am misreading....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not and never have been lookign for a fight. I have been a mac user for overa decade having used every mac model up to the G4 400 agp. In fact I no longer even consider using anything else for my department.

Part of the problem I think is the difference in Mac experince between the US and UK. Here in the Uk we are very much a tiny minority - almost invisible and shrinking all the time. I have never seen an apple tv ad or billboard etc. We can't just step into a store and buy lots of mac compatible stuff. Thanx to VAT a dualie with display would cost as much as a small car. A friend of mine rcenetly asked advice about a new computer. I advised the dualie with Geforce 4 Titanium.She then rang 2 applecentres to be told that there is no such thing as the GeForce 4 Ti and that she must be thinking of the Geforce 4MX (this was this week).

The people I mention in my last post I happened to ASK what they think. I asked all of my students. All of my colleagues - dragging them into the mac suite and bombarding them with emails directing them to apple's web site. People I know who work in creative fields plus other lecturers from other colleges/unis at confernces etc. I spent a day at the HQ of the uks leading educational awarding body. None of the 20 people sat round the table with me had ever heard of a macintosh computer.

Where once all mys students would have bought macs now virtually none of them buy macs (less than 5 per cent)

I am a mac supporter and feel that if the mac is to survive and the mac community to flourish it is up to mac users to become more critical and demanding of apple. Apple has to know that it must continually push the limit - nothing else will do. Is that unfair? Probably. But then if life was fair Microsoft would be a nonentity.

I never look at stats and figures for a preview of how the mac scene is doing prefering instead to use my own experiences and those of people i come into contact with. Its really sad when students I once taught who were staunchly mac get back in touch from their compaqs and dells. This is what I'v seen happening aside from any hype. OK, so I can't know when people I speak to might change their minds. But how would you know if 1.3m imacs had really been sold or 800k or 2m? Do you see any real evidence on a day to day basis that the mac world is healthier now then it was?

I apologise if I have offended anyone but I really want the mac to be successful but sometimes being a mac supporte in the UK can be a very disheartening and lonely position.

Maybe someone in the US can enlighten me. What does it feel like to be a mac user in the US?