new iPod not firewire???

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So have two ports. This was a bad compromise.

OK my powerbook is maybe almost two years old. It's the first rev 12" PB. I was appalled in the first place it didn't' have USB 2, but then, I thought I'd never need it.

Bootable is a huge feature of the iPod for me. Not cool. FW is superior to USB in so many other ways, too. The iPod, with its ever expanding capacity and thirst for bandwidth, with Lossless, and and now video for crying out loud, will suck with USB.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    And all to keep the Windows market (who *aren't* switching) happy..

I think it's a very odd stance for Apple to take.

But who am I to judge their business model. Hey, I'm happy with everything else they do.

Jimzip
  • Reply 23 of 60
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    So, will the cable I use with my 20 GB iPod NOT work with the new Video iPod?

If so, my USB ports are full on my iMac, I guess that means I have to get a USB to FW adapter or get a stinkn' hub. I hate clutter...
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Firewire isn't going to disappear from Macs, that's silly.

They probably disabled firewire to stop people from putting their iPod into target disk mode, and blowing the drive.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

Im sure by the time the mactels come out next year they wont have any firewire ports.

How much longer does it take to download 1 song via usb2 vs firewire?

That would be a great step backward, after having led in industry use of FireWire. It would be pretty thick. FireWire is useful in so many ways, how could professional machines not have this, or for that matter home machines?

There must be another reason for it.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Firewire isn't going to disappear from Macs, that's silly.

They probably disabled firewire to stop people from putting their iPod into target disk mode, and blowing the drive.

That could be true, but if someone told us 356 days ago that Apple would be switching to intel we would all have thought that to be 'silly'.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

That could be true, but if someone told us 356 days ago that Apple would be switching to intel we would all have that to be 'silly'.

I was actually thinking about that while posting, but for Macs to drop firewire, then Firewire would have to be dropped by companies who make Audio gear (firewire is far less processor intensive than USB) as well as Video gear. Those are both big Mac markets, so I think it's safe to say Firewire is around for a while.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Started an online petition for Apple to reinstate Firewire support in the next revision of the iPod video:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ab1987/petition.html
  • Reply 29 of 60
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by O-Mac

So does anyone have some realtime stats on whether or not usb2 is as fast as firewire?

f**k burst transfer of usb and all that rubbish. FW400 is faster than USB2. period.

at this stage, i have to say to certain posters, you were right. i have only now come to terms with the fact that the new ipod videos i mean big capacity ones, do not have FW for sync/transfer even as an option. WTF stupid dumbass windoze users. they can't even spend just a little extra to get decent motherboards (like asus) which have FW400 on the motherboard which works great. WTF.
  • Reply 30 of 60
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

THIS is the issue.

Firewire vs. USB 2 speeds are not the issue here. they are comparable and the iPod isn't something you'll be using as a primary hard drive, anyways.

Anyhow, back to the point, one great thing about Apple computers is their continued relevence and usefulness even at the low-end. USB 2 isn't even in 2-year old iBooks, and firewire is available in some macs since the late 1990s. It sucks to see Apple making some users' computers feel long in the tooth when it is absolutely unnecessary.

At least, I assume an adapter is available?

This bugs me a lot. I have four current Macs that work wonderfully in running my business. None of them have a USB2 connection. I would love to update to something new, but business isn't good enough to justify it.

Now, I can't buy a new iPod. And no, there isn't an adapter. I could, very slowly, put music on a new iPod, but I couldn't charge it. I had been updating my iPods about yearly, but I guess I won't now until I can afford a new Mac.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

[B]apparently the firewire cable can be purchased separately for $19. lame. lame. lame!!!! argh!!! give us a motherF#R#*()$ choice when we buy it!

Look closer. The firewire cable is not compatible at all with the nano or video iPods. When they first made the cable an ad on, I posted that I was afraid they were dropping fire-wire. Everyone pooh-poohed it and said, "Quit complaining, it's only a few dollars to ad it back."

But now, like I feared, it's gone for good.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    This is a cost cutting measure by Apple. They could have gone Firewire-only instead, like it used to be actually, but that would leave many PC users out in the cold.

USB 2 is quite a lot slower than even Firewire 400. With large files, even Firewire 400 is 70% faster than USB 2.0! Not to mention Firewire 800... Syncing the iPod, Firewire is faster versus USB 2.0, though the difference is not significant due to the slow drive.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Look closer. The firewire cable is not compatible at all with the nano or video iPods. When they first made the cable an ad on, I posted that I was afraid they were dropping fire-wire. Everyone pooh-poohed it and said, "Quit complaining, it's only a few dollars to ad it back."

But now, like I feared, it's gone for good.

well, that's why i had to post above, i was one of the kids that pooh-poohed you you were right. i would pick up a nice 8gb ipod mini on clearance before they are gone if you don't have one by now. (edit: i mean 6gb)
  • Reply 35 of 60
    138 Total Signatures so far
  • Reply 36 of 60
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    This has been discussed much in other threads.

While I prefer FireWire over USB 2.0, I like thinner/cheaper iPods more.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    I'm one of those poor soles that syncs his iPod via USB 1. Sure the first sync took a while but now it syncs faster than it takes to charge the battery.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Originally posted by celebi23

138 Total Signatures so far

well that will go up great against the millions of ipod nano and ipod video users oblivious to the lack of firewire \

in any case, i am signatory no. 150. god bless democracy. and at least i can still surf pr0n here in malaysistan.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

I'm one of those poor soles that syncs his iPod via USB 1. Sure the first sync took a while but now it syncs faster than it takes to charge the battery.

That's probably a good way to think of it, though I find that I sync more often than I charge. I charge every few days, but I sync every day to keep up with the latest podcasts.

I really don't know if I'll buy the new iPod, but I am finding that encoding video for it is dog-slow, though it might be the source video.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Originally posted by JeffDM

.....I really don't know if I'll buy the new iPod, but I am finding that encoding video for it is dog-slow, though it might be the source video.

hi jeff, what is your source and what is your machine/os you're encoding on? i tried encoding a few simpsons xvids yeah it did take a few hours per episode. (export to movie for ipod (320x240) via quicktimepro7.0.3)