outdoor fireplaces

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
who came up with this brilliant idea? i'd like to thank them for polluting the world more and making it not possible to open my windows...i opend my door for ajust a minute and now my whole aprtment smells like smoke. fvcking bastards all of you who have one of these. why does society need another "toy" especially one that is so harmful to the environment and peope's health? if you want a "campfire" go fvcking camping and spare the rest of from this sh1t please. flame me all you fvckin want, i don't fvckin care. at least one city near me has the balls to make these illegal. and yes i may move there.

isn't leave burning is illegal in most areas? this is no different!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Were they burning wheels in it?

Care to describe this monstrosity to me? What exactly is this thing?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Is it like this?

• Reply 3 of 26
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Maybe more like this?

• Reply 4 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Sorry, man. We were sitting out on my patio after dinner and it got a little chilly, so I fired up the chiminea.

• Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Sorry, man. We were sitting out on my patio after dinner and it got a little chilly, so I fired up the chiminea.

A friend and I once stoked one of those into a roaring inferno and it got so hot it exploded. It was fucking awesome. For some reason, the women were not amused.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

A friend and I once stoked one of those into a roaring inferno and it got so hot it exploded. It was fucking awesome. For some reason, the women were not amused.

funny you should say that...my father has blown up TWO and has figured out how you do it. Wait until it's wet, like after a rain. Stoke a MASSIVE fire in it.

Every time he comes to visit, he asks if we can blow it up. Hysterical.

I just figure I'll wait until there's a good snow and fire the thing up something fierce.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

funny you should say that...my father has blown up TWO and has figured out how you do it. Wait until it's wet, like after a rain. Stoke a MASSIVE fire in it.

Every time he comes to visit, he asks if we can blow it up. Hysterical.

I just figure I'll wait until there's a good snow and fire the thing up something fierce.

Yes! Exactly! I forgot, it was wet, and we figured the porous ceramic and the rapidly expanding water was what done the deed.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Yes! Exactly! I forgot, it was wet, and we figured the porous ceramic and the rapidly expanding water was what done the deed.

I'll tell you what, Addabox. You and yours come to Utah on a ski trip and some fine winter night I'll cook up some ribs and kick ass baked beans (ground beef, pork and beans, half an onion, bell pepper, kayro and bbq sauce), and we'll blow us up one chiminea.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I grew up with a firepit in our back yard. It was AWESOME every time we used it. I still have terrific memories. I also love to BBQ and frequently throw parties. (I have a reputation for a special chicken recipe I made.)

#1) If it bugs you, tell them! They won't stop if they don't know.

#2) If my city made firepits illegal, I would raise hell. It is in my blood now and while I wouldn't want to disrupt others, well, lets just say fire and parties go together really, really well.

You should try it sometime.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

I'll tell you what, Addabox. You and yours come to Utah on a ski trip and some fine winter night I'll cook up some ribs and kick ass baked beans (ground beef, pork and beans, half an onion, bell pepper, kayro and bbq sauce), and we'll blow us up one chiminea.

Oh, lordy, I am so there.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Oh, lordy, I am so there.

I neglected to mention that while we blow it up, we will also unashamedly say "y'all" and talk about measurements in terms of "yay." Sentences such as "That thing's fixin' to blow up about yay far into the pasture" shall be uttered without shame or fear of reprisal! We shall say horrible things about people, but we shall preface the saying with "bless his/her heart," which makes it all OK! We shall trade stories about family members making us go out and cut the switch with which they would then whip us!

And then...we shall take over the world.

Anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Folks like to sit around a wood fire, plain and simple. Here in Texas we do a lot of cooking on wood fires. Pretty soon the left will try to ban that too I suppose.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moe_in_Texas

Folks like to sit around a wood fire, plain and simple. Here in Texas we do a lot of cooking on wood fires. Pretty soon the left will try to ban that too I suppose.

Oh man. That's funny. "The left" in Texas. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh man. Whooo. Lemme catch my breath,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ooof. The left in Texas. Hee hee hee.

Might as well say "Pretty soon all the humpback whales in Austin will try to ban that, too...." Maybe leprechauns! Leprechaun whales!

hahahahahahahahaha!!! left in texas!! hahaha. whales in Austin! HAHAHAHA
  • Reply 14 of 26
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Fellowship is a pinko and he is from Texas.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

I neglected to mention that while we blow it up, we will also unashamedly say "y'all" and talk about measurements in terms of "yay." Sentences such as "That thing's fixin' to blow up about yay far into the pasture" shall be uttered without shame or fear of reprisal! We shall say horrible things about people, but we shall preface the saying with "bless his/her heart," which makes it all OK! We shall trade stories about family members making us go out and cut the switch with which they would then whip us!

And then...we shall take over the world.

Anyway.

Oooh, ooooh, will there be women folk around who can say insulting things about other women while smiling and acting like they're being nice? "You must be so independent minded, to just wear what you want like that!"

I've said it before, but those sure do look like nice environs you got yourself there.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Fellowship is a pinko and he is from Texas.

Yes, but he's a generally easy going Christian pinko, which I believe is covered by Texan game laws, being an endangered species and all.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Love the chiminea. Use it all the time. What are people putting into these things to cause odour? Wood and or coal burns well and doesn't stink... sorry. People burning wet yard waste, that smells
  • Reply 18 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I saw more Kerry signs than Bush signs when I went to Fort Worth... didn't the former capture 40% of the Texas vote?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I saw more Kerry signs than Bush signs when I went to Fort Worth... didn't the former capture 40% of the Texas vote?

Kerry captured nearly 40% in all of the places he didn't bother campaigning. Roughly the same for Bush. In Texas, however, I chalk that 40% up to ignorance. Them folks meant to vote for Bush but somehow missed.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Many of you have an incorrect view of Texas. It is very diverse. We have large populations of folks from many parts of the world. We have a large homosexual population right here in Houston. We have many liberals. We are not what you want to see us as.