So how much did you donate?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Me? $100. Just have to see if my company discovers the "unplanned" bonus of $1500 they gave me last month. If not half of that goes same way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Assuming that you mean Katrina relief, none. I did donate to the Something Awful-branded fund, but I got it refunded and didn't get around to donating to some other cause.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I didnt donate because it seemed like the only people that were effected were in New Orleans: that is all anyone outside of a few senators talks about: there were other states like Alabama and Mississippi hit just as hard, they just werent being run by as corrupt of polititions.

The race card was also played to an alarming extent: the media makes one think that the storm targeted "poor black people" and no one else, as if the storm knew the color of each buildings owner...

I was just afraid that with this as the mindset, the money would be horribly mis-allocated and unwisely used. We are all also donating something any way, $200 billion + in federal releife; you do know where the federal government gets that money...right...(for a clue,look at your paycheck stub)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I meant Pakistan.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I didnt donate because it seemed like the only people that were effected were in New Orleans: that is all anyone outside of a few senators talks about: there were other states like Alabama and Mississippi hit just as hard, they just werent being run by as corrupt of polititions.

The race card was also played to an alarming extent: the media makes one think that the storm targeted "poor black people" and no one else, as if the storm knew the color of each buildings owner...

I was just afraid that with this as the mindset, the money would be horribly mis-allocated and unwisely used. We are all also donating something any way, $200 billion + in federal releife; you do know where the federal government gets that money...right...(for a clue,look at your paycheck stub)

You know what's the most fun part?

In private business, and also in private charity, if a business or relief organization fails to make a difference, other more capable people will get the contracts and the donations in the next crisis. Or the current crisis, if it's a long one.

If a government department fails, they more often than not cry being underfunded to deal with the crisis and are immediately given more money to squander. There might be one case in hundred where they really were underfunded and did not have their collective heads up their asses, but then there has to be a clear paper trail showing how they have recommended reasonable measures and asked for budget for such in advance. A lot to ask, huh? Let's contrast this to a private operation. You donate to a relief organization. Then they say they it's all gone, and there is absolutely no results because they are underfunded. Are you going to give them more?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Well total ignoranc from AI´ers

At least other urge people to help.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I meant Pakistan.

And how the hell were we supposed to know that?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Because on the date of the first post it was reported that more than 18000 people had died from it.

And when I specify it was Pakistan two days later noone reacts for eleven days.

Now the confirmed death toll is over 53000, even before large areas has been reached and the death been counted there. This could go over 100000 deaths. But attention died inbetween Katrina and Wilma...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    When they hand over Bin Laden and his cohorts, I'll start donating.

How's that for a deal?