new iPod not firewire???

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by celebi23

Started an online petition for Apple to reinstate Firewire support in the next revision of the iPod video:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ab1987/petition.html

Good idea to give Apple some feedback on this. I signed it several days ago. I was thinking about getting one of those black iPods, but I think I'll just enjoy my older iPod. The new pod is quite appealing, thin and svelte. Perhaps I'll save the monies toward getting a four cpu Mac.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hi jeff, what is your source and what is your machine/os you're encoding on? i tried encoding a few simpsons xvids yeah it did take a few hours per episode. (export to movie for ipod (320x240) via quicktimepro7.0.3) [/B]

It's silly, or rather, insane, but my source video is actually 1080i HDV footage, encoded on a dual 2.5, the Quicktime export on iMovieHD and the iPod profile in Quicktime. I was trying different codecs this weekend and thought I'd give it a shot. I don't know how long it was, but the encode time was well over an hour for a 12 minute video export to iPod. I've seen the encoder take 30 minutes to encode 1 minute of HDV footage to a 1080 file.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by JeffDM

It's silly, or rather, insane, but my source video is actually 1080i HDV footage, encoded on a dual 2.5 PCI-X, the Quicktime export on iMovieHD and the iPod profile in Quicktime. I was trying different codecs this weekend and thought I'd give it a shot. I don't know how long it was, but the encode time was well over an hour for a 12 minute video export to iPod. I've seen the encoder take 30 minutes to encode 1 minute of HDV footage to a 1080 file.

hmmm weird.... that's some painful encoding times even on a dual 2.5 PCI-X
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hmmm weird.... that's some painful encoding times even on a dual 2.5 PCI-X [/B]

And sadly, even with the new four-core G5, even if it is twice as fast at this than my current computer, it would still take a very long time. For video encoding, I don't see it being worth it as it's still an overnight job either way.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    I am so pissed at Apple right now. I can't believe they obsoleted my 18 month old PowerBook G4. Since it only has USB 1.1 I can't get the new iPod. I was planning on selling my old iPod to a friend, but now I can't.

I can't believe that Apple is abandoning their core Mac user base. I called Apple tech support and they confirmed no Firewire support. You can use the Firewire cable but only for charging. What a bunch of CRAP!!!
  • Reply 46 of 60
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfwkootz

I am so pissed at Apple right now. I can't believe they obsoleted my 18 month old PowerBook G4. Since it only has USB 1.1 I can't get the new iPod. I was planning on selling my old iPod to a friend, but now I can't.

I can't believe that Apple is abandoning their core Mac user base. I called Apple tech support and they confirmed no Firewire support. You can use the Firewire cable but only for charging. What a bunch of CRAP!!!

get an iPod mini 2nd gen for just over $200. yeah, i know, 6gb max, no color screen, no photos, no video, but it does what it does well, super-scratch-resistant (even the screen, not unlike a certain ipod nano), and full firewire connectivity with the separate firewire cable for sync and charge. comes in metallic pink, silver, blue and turqoise-ish green \ 18 hours battery time.

having to sync via usb 1.1 is just not worth getting the new ipod video or ipod nano. i'm sorry to say, this is what happens when a company gets more popular and starts to branch out from its "core mac user base".
  • Reply 47 of 60
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfwkootz

What model PowerBook do you have? If you have a PCMCIA slot you can get a USB 2.0 card for it.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

What model PowerBook do you have? If you have a PCMCIA slot you can get a USB 2.0 card for it.

17" powerbook, and yes it has a PCMCIA slot. Thanks for the idea, I think that will work! Now figure out a way I can use the wired remote and I will be a happy camper!!!
  • Reply 49 of 60
    379 Total Signatures so far. Please fill out the iPod feedback form in conjunction with signing the petition. http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html
  • Reply 50 of 60
    I just found out that there are several wired remotes available which use the dock connector, Griffin Technology has a nice one called the iFM which also includes an FM receiver. So it seems I may have been a bit premature on my frustration of no remote. My guess is Apple will also release a new version of their wired remote which uses the dock connector as well. But I still think they made a mistake by removing firewire support. It just goes to show you that Mr. Jobs is a bottom line guy, it doesn't matter if it pisses off his Mac faithful or that older mac owners have to go out and purchase an adaptor card to use the new iPods, if it saves him money on each iPod sold, he's going to do it. I just hope this isn't a hint of what's to come. Now that more and more PC users are using Mac products, I can see other stuff changing to be more *compatible* with the PC users at the cost of the Mac faithful...
  • Reply 51 of 60
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by celebi23

379 Total Signatures so far. Please fill out the iPod feedback form in conjunction with signing the petition. http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

You're dreaming if you think they'll change it back. Aparts from the fact that the number of signatures is pitiful in comparison to the sales it'll also be around a year before another major update comes through, by which time between 20 - 33% of those signatories can be assumed to have bought a new computer anyway (upgrade cycles are usually assumed at 3 - 5 years). It isn't worth it for Apple to add it back at this stage and it only adds cost and complexity for them and unnecessary cost for everyone else.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You're dreaming if you think they'll change it back. Aparts from the fact that the number of signatures is pitiful in comparison to the sales it'll also be around a year before another major update comes through, by which time between 20 - 33% of those signatories can be assumed to have bought a new computer anyway (upgrade cycles are usually assumed at 3 - 5 years). It isn't worth it for Apple to add it back at this stage and it only adds cost and complexity for them and unnecessary cost for everyone else.

It is worth it to say this about FireWire, for future iPods, if this is what one thinks. Elsewise, how will Apple receive the thinking feedback of Mac users, if they do not speak?
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

It is worth it to say this about FireWire, for future iPods, if this is what one thinks. Elsewise, how will Apple receive the thinking feedback of Mac users, if they do not speak?

One of the things I do in my spare time is sit on a committee that gives feedback to a government body on certain topics. On that committee are a whole bunch of community members, because in essence the government has to be able to say they are listening to the people. The problem with community members is that the vast majority are idiots. It's admirable that they are interested but they make suggestions without considering the costs, ramifications or difficulty of implementation so more often than not good suggestions get ignored with the bad because there are just so many bad ones.

There's nothing wrong with feedback but there is no technical reason for an iPod to need Firewire. USB 2.0 is cheaper, has better penetration and is more than adequate for the task. Firewire is a great technology but it isn't for consumer electronics where margins are increasingly thin as a product matures and there is no strong technical reason for its usage.

It sucks for the people that don't have USB 2 but such is life. The world marches on and Apple's iPod division operates outside its computer division so will move in the direction that best serves it, even to the exclusion of Apple customers. Consumer electronics is a cut throat business and that's what they need to do.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Maybe they should come out with a custom-build version for those loyal Apple people...Should you choose the firewire version, it will haveto be custom made..that way, they don't have to mass produce a firewire version...that could at least save a little money as well as please the customer...maybe you can't please the customer all the time but at least you can try...
  • Reply 55 of 60
    One thing I've mentioned but didn't get a response to is whether there can be a specialized converter. I happen to have a Dynex USB/Firewire hub that allows me to connect three Firewire devices to a computer that only has USB2 input, and the whole device cost $55, which was a good deal because it was a four port USB2 hub too.

I'm curious if there is a way to make a converter that connects a USB 2 device that connects as a Firewire device to the computer. It would certainly require a microcontroller device, but I don't know if there are limitations in either standard, be it technical or political, that prevents the reverse.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:

One of the things I do in my spare time is sit on a committee that gives feedback to a government body on certain topics. On that committee are a whole bunch of community members, because in essence the government has to be able to say they are listening to the people. The problem with community members is that the vast majority are idiots. It's admirable that they are interested but they make suggestions without considering the costs, ramifications or difficulty of implementation so more often than not good suggestions get ignored with the bad because there are just so many bad ones.

There's nothing wrong with feedback but there is no technical reason for an iPod to need Firewire. USB 2.0 is cheaper, has better penetration and is more than adequate for the task. Firewire is a great technology but it isn't for consumer electronics where margins are increasingly thin as a product matures and there is no strong technical reason for its usage.

It sucks for the people that don't have USB 2 but such is life. The world marches on and Apple's iPod division operates outside its computer division so will move in the direction that best serves it, even to the exclusion of Apple customers. Consumer electronics is a cut throat business and that's what they need to do.

"Against stupidity and ignorance the gods themselves battle in vain." So said one notable science fiction writer.

Well, however true it may be that ignorance runs rampant in the human race, still, Mac users will think as they do. It used to be one advertising point for the iPod(unless I am very much mistaken) that it could be used to boot, as well as be used as a backup copy. Now the former is not so.

It is in the pattern and the makeup of Mac users that they will wish to have a technology that they found useful to stick around, or I think it is anyway.

So we will see how things proceed in the future. There are always other FireWire external drives.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    There are cables that can interconnect Firewire and USB2. They are available at Harvey Norman in Australia at least. Have a look around at your large computer specialty stores.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

It used to be one advertising point for the iPod(unless I am very much mistaken) that it could be used to boot, as well as be used as a backup copy. Now the former is not so.

This is unfortunate but I believe it was because people were overusing the drives and Apple didn't want to be held accountable.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Thanks for calling us a bunch of idiots! I grumble in your general direction. But, at least you are the self-proclaimed diamond-in-the-rough
  • Reply 60 of 60
    My apologies if you, or anyone misunderstood. At no stage did I call you, or anyone specifically on this board, an idiot. If you believe you are one I'm sure there is some solid foundation but I only criticized community members involved with the government, and only a fool would be as their meetings are painful. Furthermore at no stage did I claim I wasn't. If people believe I'm not then they are probably misguided but to each their own.

There needs to be a good reason to want to implement something. Adding or changing things for the sake of it improves nothing and spending big money for very little gain rarely makes good sense.