iNtel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

[COLOR=dark-blue]Sure, this picture has absolutely nothing to do with the thread but hey, it made me laugh![/COLOR]

I happened to stumble across a little article this week that seemed to suggest Apple will release it's professional high-end hardware line before that of the household consumer. However, with the extremely minor updates to the iMac and Mac Mini models this month and a pretty big bump to the PowerMac, I cannot imagine Apple launching it's pro line first. Surely professional buyers will want to wait until all of their high-end software is Mactel compatible, anyway?

Vote for which of Apple's products you think will become the first Intel Mac here, and add any other comments/predictions you may have with regard to any tech specs, designs, software etc.

This is the Intel speculation thread!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    I don't think the PowerMacs will transition until the Pro Apps are ported over. All other products can transition once Mac OS is ready - which it is not today. Can it be by January - probably. So I think a PowerBook-like product - i.e., a new product - will be first, with the current PowerBooks still available. That way people who use the pro apps on PowerBooks can still buy a PowerBook.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Yeah. The official #164 Intel speculation thread

I don´t think you could say that the pro processor revisions was better than the consumer ones so thats not an argument for anything.

I´ll stick with the Mac Mini being the first.

And its Mac Intel
  • Reply 3 of 13
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Mac Mini / iBooks will be the first to go, IMO.

- Xidius
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Banjo

[COLOR=dark-blue]Sure, this picture has absolutely nothing to do with the thread but hey, it made me laugh![/COLOR]

I happened to stumble across a little article this week that seemed to suggest Apple will release it's professional high-end hardware line before that of the household consumer. However, with the extremely minor updates to the iMac and Mac Mini models this month and a pretty big bump to the PowerMac, I cannot imagine Apple launching it's pro line first. Surely professional buyers will want to wait until all of their high-end software is Mactel compatible, anyway?

Vote for which of Apple's products you think will become the first Intel Mac here, and add any other comments/predictions you may have with regard to any tech specs, designs, software etc.

This is the Intel speculation thread!

man, that's a BIIGGG trackpad.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Steve Jobs has been clear. The consumer lineup transitions first followed by the Pro lineup. I wonder why people still speculate after Apple's clear and vocal strategy.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I don't think Steve said that at all. That's totally our own speculation. If you have a link where he says this, please post. At WWDC Steve did not specify anything more than the first models appearing by June 06 and the transition being complete by a certain date. I do agree, however, it is a likely scenario. On the other hand, Powerbooks could also be among the first.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Hasn't this been talked to death already? I seem to remember another poll on it as well.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I disagree with the article. I think any Apple product with a G4 will be transitioned to Intel first, starting with PowerBooks, then iBooks and Mac minis. Next on the hit parade will be the iMac, because they are going to reach a point of no return in improving performance in the iMac with the G5. Last will be the Power Macs and the Xserves.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think the XServe will transition before the PowerMacs. The mini should be the first. For laptops, I'd consider a "new" machine rather than switching an existing line. Otherwise it depends on the CPUs... if there's not enough of a benefit to makeup for the lack of altivec, then iBooks first, otherwise PowerBooks.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    SJ never said pro computers were switching first.

I think at least one consumer model will switch first. My guess is the Mini. There's less risk in the consumer models. They either can't be upgraded or typically aren't. Common accessories are just scanners, printers, and cameras. And I doubt Mini owners buy as much optional software. Whatever software they do buy isn't likely a $600 paint program or a $1300 production suite.

The Pro and server computers are mission-critical equipment and may simply not have all of the typical pro software recompiled and re-released by the time of switch. Rosetta isn't an end-all be-all solution so it can't be relied on for all professional software.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

I don't think Steve said that at all. That's totally our own speculation. If you have a link where he says this, please post. At WWDC Steve did not specify anything more than the first models appearing by June 06 and the transition being complete by a certain date. I do agree, however, it is a likely scenario. On the other hand, Powerbooks could also be among the first.

You're correct. I'll have to listen again to the keynote and see if he stated anything that wasn't explicityly mentioned in the slide about consumer Macs versus Powermacs.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

man, that's a BIIGGG trackpad.

That's how you know it's for real: Apple always adjusts the trackpad dimensions and aspect ratio to match the display.

Can't see the front edge in this photo, but the latch must be equally huge. Look at all the hook holes!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Banjo

Now THATS a BigMac