Apple launches iTunes store in Australia

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's iTunes store is now live Yeah!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Yep. It's up and running. Good stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    w00t
  • Reply 3 of 37
    YIP YAR JAM JAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 4 of 37
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    A link to an Australian version of Apple's industry-leading iTunes download service went live on Monday evening, ahead of a formal press event set to take place at 9:00 am in Sydney.

Already, several iTunes users have reported success in browsing and purchasing content from the store. According to the reports, Apple is offering songs and videos for (AUS) $1.69 and $3.39, respectively. Albums fetch a respectable $16.99 including GST.

Unsettled licensing agreements between Apple and Sony BMG Australia have reportedly forced the iPod maker to launch without the Sony BMG music catalog, which accounts for an approximate 25% of the world's commercially available music.

Still, iTunes vice president Eddie Cue and iPod marketing chief Greg Joswiak are expected to present at the 9:00 am event, providing the details of the service launch and possibly adding some content-related announcements.

The new music store is expected to feature exclusive music tracks from Australian artists Missy Higgins, Bernard Fanning, Paul Mac, Evermore, Gyroscope and The Dissociatives. Additionally, the store will offer the full catalogues of INXS, Hunters & Collectors, Paul Kelly and Slim Dusty.

Reports of an imminent iTunes Music Store launch in Australia date back nearly twelve months, but consistently failed to ring true. Following a failed launch attempt in April, the Courier-Mail reported that Apple's plans had been thwarted by one unnamed major record company that refused to sign an agreement.

The unnamed major record company now appears to be Sony BMG.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    thats sweet... not that I need it...
  • Reply 6 of 37
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    What's GST? Goods and Services Tax?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    I can't believe it!!! Bye bank balance!!!
  • Reply 8 of 37
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Yeah it is goods and services tax. Am quite impressed with the amount of music that is there even without the Sony BMG artists.... there are a few that I thought would definately not be there ala Missy Higgins and Bernard Fanning.

I think I'll be making some purchases after work tonight.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    yep GST is goods and services tax.

Yay for us

Now where is my new pod so I can watch these music vids???

Apparently there is some big hold up in Australian customs due to a new system rollout... dammit!
  • Reply 10 of 37
    666666 Posts: 134member
    FINALLY!

Not that i'm gonna buy songs @ 128 aac, as I like my hi hats without hair, but its still good that it's here.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

What's GST? Goods and Services Tax?

An indirect tax of 10% on everything apart from unprocessed food.

Hmmmm...all I need is some money to get apple to take INXS off the iTMS
  • Reply 12 of 37
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    phew. thank goodness i've cut up my ANZ and Virgin credit cards. and i can't remember the security code or aussie billing address i was using for that. safe for now
  • Reply 13 of 37
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Oh and for those of you that don't have credit cards the Coles Myer chain is selling the music cards.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

phew. thank goodness i've cut up my ANZ and Virgin credit cards. and i can't remember the security code or aussie billing address i was using for that. safe for now

Where do you live that the Aussie store works for you? I didn't think that Malaysistan was in Australia. Actually, I though it was something else entirely.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Id buy tonnes of music.....if i had a credit card.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    time to get a little businessey....

For all those Australians who have been complaining about lack of credit card.... I know that St George Bank/Bank SA offer a card called Multiaccess. It is a card that acts as a visa card... but there is no credit. So you can only use what money you have in your account, but you can use it on the internet and everywhere else that visa is used.

That is what I use... the handiness of a credit card, yet you aren't running up any debt.

Sweet.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Originally posted by melgross

Where do you live that the Aussie store works for you? I didn't think that Malaysistan was in Australia. Actually, I though it was something else entirely.

Malaysistan is the land below the wind, somewhere near the equator, where you pay $150 in local currency for a bottle of decent whisky (750ml) and $88 in local currency for DSL that sucks complete balls. On the other hand Malaysistan is always a good place to pick up Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, CoolerMaster, Samsung, Sony gear shipped in straight from Taiwan/China/Japan. Dell puts a nice little flyer in between your daily newspaper (The Star) every other day. A smattering of Apple shops can be found hidden in certain nooks and crannies of shopping malls in Kuala Lumpur. In colleges in this area however many a white headphone, usually of the Shuffle kind, can be spotted. AMD, Intel and Infeneon have a presence in the northern regions of Malaysistan.

I have been here for almost a year, before that I was living in Sydney for 1.5 years. Before Sydney I had $20,000 AUD in savings. A year and a half later, I was $6,400 AUD in debt. Now I am only $1,400 AUD in debt. I still have two credit card accounts with Aussie billing addresses which will expire in April next year. I have cut up teh physical cards though.

AMD: proudly assembled in Malaysistan

• Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by benjamin_r

YIP YAR JAM JAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yea yeaaa australia in da hiz-ouse representin yo!!!! woot woot!!

hmmm...yes, i used to be into powderfinger, spiderbait, etc back in my uni dayz.... saw paul mac live in sydney... good to see you can get at least 1 endorphin track \
  • Reply 19 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Can you guys explain why credit cards is such a bid deal down under? Some act like you can't get them, some act likey they are evil, and some make it sound like they ahve excessive interest rates.

So what gives? I am confused about it...

Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by melgross

I have been here for almost a year, before that I was living in Sydney for 1.5 years. Before Sydney I had $20,000 AUD in savings. A year and a half later, I was $6,400 AUD in debt. Now I am only $1,400 AUD in debt. I still have two credit card accounts with Aussie billing addresses which will expire in April next year. I have cut up teh physical cards though.

• Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Can you guys explain why credit cards is such a bid deal down under? Some act like you can't get them, some act likey they are evil, and some make it sound like they ahve excessive interest rates.

So what gives? I am confused about it...

basically it has to do with the fact that australians use vegemite as a thermal compound for overclocking (besides eating it)

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm