New displays just around the corner?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After a looong wait I'm about to order a fine setup but now somehow, I think there's new displays coming soon: this recent price-drop on the 23" and the 30inchers - sellout in Apple terms - seems to me like Apple is getting the shelfs ready for even more new stuff - anybody?

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I think the price drops don't tell us anything. They had to drop the price, since even with the new lower price the 23" has some tuff competition (e.g. Dell's 24" model).

It may actually be a good time to buy because the prices, or the models themselves, may not change for months to come.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    If you need it now, buy it now. The price drops are normal Apple practise with displays and are unlikely to signify anything. The form factor certainly won't be changing for some time to come though I think we may see an additional 40" in January when Apple's home entertainment strategy becomes a little clearer. Who knows?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Above 30" and you're looking at a clearcut case for the immediate need of resolution independence. Come'on Leopard bring it home baby.

Personally I don't think Apple is going to come out with new models just yet. The price changes are more about realigning the value equation since, as the poster above stated, Apple is seeing much tougher competition from Dell and HP.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Well, if you look at the design of the displays, they're in the same style as the PM's (and have been since the G3 PM...or maybe before for all I know) so maybe when the PM changes style (hello intel PM) we'll get new displays as well.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I doubt that they will release any new monitors soon. They lowered the price to be somewhat more inline with the competition. As much as I love the 30" and the look of the cinema displays... I ordered 2 dell 24" widescreens for $779 each I can live with out the Apple look and have 48" of space for not much more than the 23" I'm happy... plus they get rave reviews!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Above 30" and you're looking at a clearcut case for the immediate need of resolution independence. Come'on Leopard bring it home baby.

I don't actually think the resolution of a larger (40") screen will be increased. if anything it would be in the hi-def area of around 2000px across; ie within the bounds of a single DVI connection. I'm seeing it more as a living room TV/ studio video monitor type scenario. January is too soon, maybe July.

We will of course see resolution independence in OS X at some point, but for a different reason, to be able to use 200dpi paper-like displays for the Apple Tablet!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I don't think new displays will be here anytime soon.

Price drops will help Apple sell tons of displays.

Maybe we could see a larger display around WWDC. new designs I think they might eventualy happen when Intel comes in for the Powermac or while after it's introduce.

So I think it's a safe bet to predict that the current displays will be here for at least the next 2 years.

Go buy it now. they are well priced IMHO.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I hope there's new displays soon...that way the old ones might drop further in price.

Seriously, the 20" is way overpriced at $1000 (cdn$). We routinely have the equivalent Dell monitor for $550 (I know it's ugly, but it actually has more inputs).
  • Reply 9 of 13
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    you always pay premium price for Apple products. I can say the specs are better for Dell and etc. whatever argument you come up with this will not change.

Maybe we might see another price drop in a year away. I doubt before.

Apple might introduce a larger display and make the specs a little better along the way. But new designs will not be here soon.

Intel on the Powermac might come maybe in middle of 2007. Then at that time or little later displays will come in a new enclosure.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I don't expect new displays until the PowerMacs are updated after the transition to Intel. Although updated LCDs with the old form factor could be released.

If you recall the last time they were updated, the previous generation ADC-based screens were sold for almost a year before they were update to the current enclosure. If the PowerMac case changes, it is possible new displays won't be released until sometime later.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple waits to update the screens until after the OS is more resolution indepdendent. This way, users can have a higher res screen and not have to squint.

Either way, I hope I get a new screen when I replace my G5 tower. Probably won't do that for at least a year though.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

We will of course see resolution independence in OS X at some point, but for a different reason, to be able to use 200dpi paper-like displays for the Apple Tablet!

I disagree...nobody's ever gonna sit a foot away from of a 40" monster.

A 40" screen absolutely requires resolution independence. Especially with the Mac OS model of putting all the menus in the top-left corner of the screen. We're talking about a lot of mouse travel distances with a 40" screen.

The only thing that's important is being able to see photos and HD video at 100% of it's original size. The GUI elements however should scale to allow people to still use a computer normally at any distance from the screen...especially one as big as 40".

With huge displays and resolution independence, we'll finally break free from the stereotypical way of using a computer: sitting at a desk, 1.5 feet away from the display. (other factors will have to change also to make the experience much more pleasurable but you get the point.)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I disagree...nobody's ever gonna sit a feet away from of a 40" monster.

A 40" screen absolutely requires resolution independence. Especially with the Mac OS model of putting all the menus in the top-left corner of the screen. We're talking about a lot of mouse travel distances with a 40" screen.

The only thing that's important is being able to see photos and HD video at 100% of it's original size. The GUI elements however should scale to allow people to still use a computer normally at any distance from the screen...especially one as big as 40".

With huge displays and resolution independence, we'll finally break free from the stereotypical way of using a computer: sitting at a desk, 1.5 feet away from the display. (other factors will have to change also to make the experience much more pleasurable but you get the point.)

Er.. yeh; I don't think you understood me.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    New monitors will almost 95% not come untill at LEAST WWDC 06, but even then, you have to realise, monitors in general can't really be improved that much.