My Problems wth new Video iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I got my new 60 gig Video iPod last Tuesday direct from China, so clearly its a early run,this may not be good. Its gorgeous, slim, the video screen is fantastic, the battery life is great, the screen scratches - I dont know how but it did. Guess what, it wont work with your Griffin iTrip to listen to it over the car radio, doesnt have the little port next to the headphone plug. There's two bigger issues with mine... there's some form of latency coming through in the control input, and its bad! I frequently overshoot scrolling to a song because as I hit it and press the button its either still moving or has suddently bounced over two or three more. Also when you input with the button, there's a moentary delay as the screen shifts over to the next, sometimes even 1-2 seconds. Punch the button 3 times for instance when going from settings back to a song and it can take several seconds to move. This is very frustrating. the other issue I am experiencing is that the EQ settings are off. I usually use the Rock setting but am now using the Treble Boost. I still have my old 60 gig iPod Photo and compared them, its definately a different EQ range, muddy with less highs. I'll make a trip to the Houston Apple store later this week and see what the Genius says. Is this complaint noticed by any of you others who already have yours?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I'm listening to mine with no EQ, using Etymotic ER-4P headphones. My new iPod doesn't sound muddy at all, but the bass is definitely more pronounced. Sounds remarkably tight and clean, but there's definitely more of it.

I think this is a deliberate thing in response to concerns that the sound from the 4th gen iPods was a bit thin.

-- Mark
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Any issue with the latency for you? I should have noted that mine is 70% full of photos and music,

cheers
  • Reply 3 of 15
    If by latency you mean lag in the UI, yeah i've suffered from a bit of that. I've seen that on the nano as well, but not on earlier iPods.

Not really a big deal, though...

-- Mark
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Only time I have had lag problems is usually when switching or doing stuff while playing videos. other than that menus for music, and photos are fine.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

If by latency you mean lag in the UI, yeah i've suffered from a bit of that. I've seen that on the nano as well, but not on earlier iPods.

Not really a big deal, though...

-- Mark

Yeah, there is some lag. But this does play video and has a larger screen and those make me forget about any lag. I really hadn't paid any attention to the lag, at least it hasn't bothered me any. Mine usually turns up when playing video's.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    It's worth bringing it to the attention of the staff at the Apple store.

Or you could always file a lawsuit...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive

It's worth bringing it to the attention of the staff at the Apple store.

Or you could always file a lawsuit...

Its not a lawsuit I am interested, Im long 4500 shares!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Does it "suffer" from Scratching like the Nano? I'm getting the black one, so any scratch will be even more apparent..

Still waiting for my 60GB to arrive
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Does it "suffer" from Scratching like the Nano? I'm getting the black one, so any scratch will be even more apparent..

Still waiting for my 60GB to arrive

While I dont buy into all this crap about scratching, screens becoming unreadable from being in a shirt pocket etc.. I have a Nano and the new Video and yes, both are scratched, despite all efforts to avoid it. If there were cases available from day one it might have helped, the video comes with a sleeve, but somehow I still got it scratched. Try this though, I used to have a old rolex with the polycarbonate crystal, Brasso rubbed into it on a soft cloth often removed all but the heaviest scratches, I amm traveling so cant try this now but will when I get home.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jiggzjiggz Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Ammerman

Brasso rubbed into it on a soft cloth often removed all but the heaviest scratches, I amm traveling so cant try this now but will when I get home.

let us know how it goes. thanks
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by jiggz

let us know how it goes. thanks

apparently, it goes well.

http://todd.dailey.info/archives/200...can-of-brasso/
  • Reply 12 of 15
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

I'm listening to mine with no EQ, using Etymotic ER-4P headphones. My new iPod doesn't sound muddy at all, but the bass is definitely more pronounced. Sounds remarkably tight and clean, but there's definitely more of it.

I think this is a deliberate thing in response to concerns that the sound from the 4th gen iPods was a bit thin.

-- Mark

I have a similar setup at work and the sound is better than an older U2 iPod. Occasionally, there are some glitches but really no big deal as NO PRODUCT IS PERFECT: slight hesitations when moving from song to song.

• Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by esiegfried

apparently, it goes well.

http://todd.dailey.info/archives/200...can-of-brasso/

I used the Brasso on the screen, scratches gone. Try it out.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

-- Mark

Hi Mark and others,

I have noticed just the opposite about my new G5 iPod. My G4 iPod is louder and has more bass. The biggest problem with the new one is the videos. They convert fine via Handbrake and Quicktime. But when I star a video, it starts in the middle or close to the end of the clip! I have to hit the left arrow keys to get to the beginning. If I start the same video second time, then it starts at the beginning like it should. Very strange!

-Scott
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

Hi Mark and others,

I have noticed just the opposite about my new G5 iPod. My G4 iPod is louder and has more bass. The biggest problem with the new one is the videos. They convert fine via Handbrake and Quicktime. But when I star a video, it starts in the middle or close to the end of the clip! I have to hit the left arrow keys to get to the beginning. If I start the same video second time, then it starts at the beginning like it should. Very strange!

-Scott

My videos havent been a problem. I used handbrake to convert a dvd and Quicktime to convert several web clips into Mv4, everything has started up as it should. I have notice that sometimes the soundtrack hasnt come over, gotta look at those again.