Drats! iBook to be first Mactel laptop.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
At least as noted here.

Yonah in the iBooks for Q1 2006 and Merom in mid 2006 for the Powerbooks. Says the Merom will be a dual core.

I was really hoping that since the 12" Powerbook didn't get updated the other day that maybe it would be getting this first. Apparently not. Oh well, not giving up yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    If this is true, in the marketing world, that's not a bad thing (laptops better selling than towers, attracting switchers to same platform, different OS).
  • Reply 2 of 40
    That seems odd...that would make the iBook more powerful than the PB.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

At least as noted here.

Yonah in the iBooks for Q1 2006 and Merom in mid 2006 for the Powerbooks. Says the Merom will be a dual core.

I was really hoping that since the 12" Powerbook didn't get updated the other day that maybe it would be getting this first. Apparently not. Oh well, not giving up yet.

Sorry, but I fail to see the argument behind this assertion.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    jedhajedha Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

That seems odd...that would make the iBook more powerful than the PB.

haha.. good for an iBook user like me
  • Reply 5 of 40
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    i guess the '64-bit' buzzword is very important for 'pro' users...
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Given Apple's history iBooks will never be generally more powerful then Powerbooks.

The 64-bit stuff is somewhat more important on the x86 side then the PowerPC side, but if PB's wait then iBooks wait.

PB's are the pro machine, if the iBooks are more powerful people buy those and Apple accepts lower margins - Apple hates lower margins, and PB's have more then iBooks.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I think there could be some truth to this. The iBook's current pricing level will be competing with single and dual-core yonah based PC laptops. Apple is going to have to have to update the iBook with Yonah mid 2006 or earlier and then quickly get Merom into the Powerbook late summer 2006.

I haven't heard anything about Merom having hyperthreading so I'm doubting that portion of the article. Intel hasn't released any real substantial info though on Merom so plenty of things are up in the air.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Nobody outside of Apple and Intel knows what the Apple/Intel roadmap is going to be.

Apples's future laptops might not even be called "iBooks..... or "PowerBooks"!
  • Reply 9 of 40
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think there could be some truth to this. The iBook's current pricing level will be competing with single and dual-core yonah based PC laptops. Apple is going to have to have to update the iBook with Yonah mid 2006 or earlier and then quickly get Merom into the Powerbook late summer 2006...

According to the x-bit labs article the important fact is that Merom may be pin-compatible with Yonah, making it easy to upgrade computers from Yonah to Merom with only a BIOS (or what Apple choose to use) update. That means that we could see a entire laptop line switch to Intel early 2006 and then upgraded to Merom (for the high-end) at the end of the summer or fall 2006.

I was hoping for (early 2006):

- 10.x" single core Yonah

- 13.x" single core Yonah

- 15.x" dual core Yonah

- 17.x" dual core Yonah

And then (fall 2006):

- 10.x" dual core Yonah

- 13.x" dual core Yonah

- 15.x" dual core Merom

- 17.x" dual core Merom
  • Reply 10 of 40
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    keep in mind switching over pro systems will most likely happen later because those are the users who will have the biggest problem because they need their apps ported, running final cut pro under rosetta for example, will not cut it
  • Reply 11 of 40
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    If it really is true, and like some have said this would make the iBook more powerful than the Powerbook, what will become of the 12 inch Powerbook if it doesn't get updated sometime prior to that?

Looking forward to January and Q1.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    iBooks can move forward to Yonah and, as long as they don't have all the features as the PBs the two lines can live together - especially if Freescale delivers the dual core G4s - which they were supposed to do about now (right . . .) and the line is bumped in Jan/Feb.

The PBs could also be the dual core Yonah line while the iBook stays single core, which would be an ideal way to keep them apart on the market.

All I would really put money on is that there are a lot of engineers and programmers working some very long hours at Apple right now.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I thought it was generally accepted that the low end lines would switch first to Intel. Makes perfect sense; they are the products that suffer most in PC comparisons. The Intel roadmap also suggest this the case. Has something changed?
  • Reply 14 of 40
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    It was also generally accepted that the portables would switch first.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

iBooks can move forward to Yonah and, as long as they don't have all the features as the PBs the two lines can live together - especially if Freescale delivers the dual core G4s - which they were supposed to do about now (right . . .) and the line is bumped in Jan/Feb.

Dual cores from freescale have been delayed a year, till 2nd H 06.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    This does mean, however, that Apple will be supporting 32- and 64-bit OSes on PPC and x86 architectures... and a variety of APIs and binary translation...

Yech!

In the end, it will definitely be worth it.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

I thought it was generally accepted that the low end lines would switch first to Intel. Makes perfect sense; they are the products that suffer most in PC comparisons. The Intel roadmap also suggest this the case. Has something changed?

Nothing has changed, Apple/Jobs have made no announcements as to what will switch when.

Personally I think low-end makes no sense as switching to Intel will boost performance beyond the pro line.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    REALLY. Who wants an Intel based machine now?

What's the point, there is just about no software ready for it. There really is nothing holding up Apple from releasing hardware, they could do it tomorrow, the dev machines have proved that. The only thing that prevents Apple is the software and hardware performance. It's a bit of a moving target as the faster and better the Power PC chips get the harder it is to make the jump. They cannot release slower machines than the existing models.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    This is what I am waiting on. To decide between the 12" pb and the 12" ibook. If I recall, the powerbook line traditionally gets updated at MWSF and the ibooks follow later that spring. If that trend gets bucked...and the ibooks come out first....that would be interesting.

I love the durability, the long battery life and great airport range of the ibook.

I do wish the 12" ibook came with a Super Drive option though. Like its Powerbook counter part...it is always short changed in some way.

Still....I can't wait to see what happens at MWSF.

Until then...my old trusty g3 icebook will have to hold me over. No way am I upgrading now...even though its tempting.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

REALLY. Who wants an Intel based machine now?

I'd buy a YonahBook if I was in the market for a Mac now. But then I also ran OS X public beta without Classic.