Leopard with early Macintels?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I hope you'll excuse me if I'm being completely unrealistic here, but I'm new to all this stuff!

Some people are saying that we should be seeing the first Intel Macs around June 2006. But how far ahead of Leopard is that? Are Apple likely to introduce a system whereby early Intel users can update OS X for free (or at least at a greatly reduced update charge) to encourage more people to buy the early systems?

Or perhaps Apple will ship early Intel Macs with Tiger for the first few months until WWDC, when they could start shipping Leopard?

Details are blurry as far as I'm concerned, but this is definitely an issue that many early Macintel-buyers will be keen to know about. Let's just hope Apple gives us a bit more of an insight come D-Day...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Banjo

Are Apple likely to introduce a system whereby early Intel users can update OS X for free (or at least at a greatly reduced update charge) to encourage more people to buy the early systems?

Why? When you buy a PPC based Mac in April, you won't get a discount either.

Quote:

perhaps Apple will ship early Intel Macs with Tiger for the first few months until WWDC, when they could start shipping Leopard?

No, Leopard won't be released until late 2006 at the earliest.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Details are blurry, but this is definitely an issue that many early Macintel-buyers will be keen to know about. Let's just hope Apple gives us a bit more of an insight come D-Day...

There's no chance that Leopard will be included on the new MacIntels before it's included on every other Mac. For one thing, it won't be finished--we just now started to hear a few rumbles of things going on with Leopard.

And for another thing, let's say (for argument's sake) that Apple releases an MacIntel at January's MWSF. Their target release date for Leopard is the end of 2005 or early '06. I don't think consumers are going to say, "I'm not going to buy this Mac now because in 12 months I will have to upgrade the OS." If that were the case, then Apple would never sell any copies of iLife '05 (which, presumably, will be replaced by iLife '06 "only" a year after its introduction.)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It will be early 2007 before Leopard is released, late 2006 at the very earliest. The first Intel machines will not ship it. They will ship with Tiger 10.4.3 or newer.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    They will probably debut Leopard at WWDC to give the DEVELOPERS a chance to work with it long before they release it to the public.

Right now all of the apps needed for the intel/Macs universal binaries and rosetta are being furiously recompiled.

One step at a time. I would rather wait a while for a mature OS rev. and/or new hardware rather than haphazardly cobbled together products in the MS windows vein.