in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
if so can you post pics?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philbot

if so can you post pics?

I think the most important at this point are reports about heat and noise under system stress. The previous two generations have apparently widespread issues concerning these two operation characteristics. The new design leaves me assume that finally Apple has addressed them, or at least they made a decent effort to address them.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    Anyone with a new iMac:

Is it 'whisper quiet' even when working hard?

I have had 3 G5 iMacs so far (1 RevA and 2 RevB)and they've all been loud.

I've seen pics of the new motherboard but can't see the PSU.

Is it now external?
  • Reply 3 of 112
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    Yeah post a review =)

Doom3 benchmarks!
  • Reply 4 of 112
    I just ordered one from Amazon but it says estmated delivery Januaury 3-5, 2006

:-\\
  • Reply 5 of 112
    I'm about to close on a house, which will be warmed with a new iMac G5. I guess I shouldn't expect it anytime soon.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by L'Angelo Misterioso

I just ordered one from Amazon but it says estmated delivery Januaury 3-5, 2006

:-\\

Apple says a few days.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    Got mine last Friday. While I dont have anything but Windows PCs to compare it to (my first Mac), I love it. I also got the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Front row is very cool. Much easier to use than my Windows MCE PC.

I need to learn how to use the darm thing! But

Boot up and shutdown are remarkably fast.

-I already made my first movie!

Be happy to answer questions.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by kyle325ci

Got mine last Friday. While I dont have anything but Windows PCs to compare it to (my first Mac), I love it. I also got the wireless keyboard and mouse.

You need to test monitor spanning. . . That is, will it span monitors out of the box? If not, will the old hack work?
  • Reply 9 of 112
    Quote:

Ok, here we go.

( 1 ) Which model do you have?

( 2 ) How is (fan) noise under system load? Heat? You can check temperatures with Temperature Monitor.

( 3 ) Could you report frames/sec in Nanosaur 2, the game that comes with the new iMacs? While playing the game, you hit F8 and the fps will show up. Try to run this game in the native display resolution. Could you try other games and report on performance? For example UT2k4 demo?

( 4 ) Can you run some specific audio/video transformation (with iTunes or iMovie) and report back? For example mp3 processing from an audio CD.

( 5 ) How is CPU usage during web surfing in sites with many animations? Launch Activity monitor from /Applications/Utilities and watch.

( 6 ) Run the Xbench benchmark. I doubt it is worth anything, but it is often used to compare Macs between them. Idem for Altivec Fractal Carbon; it will show you the results on the title bar.

( 7 ) How much noisy is this machine while playing some audio CD or DVD? (Noise from fans/drive)

( 8 ) You compared previously Windows MCE PC with this iMac. Could you be more detailed?
  • Reply 10 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Ok, here we go.

( 2 ) How is (fan) noise under system load? Heat? You can check temperatures with Temperature Monitor.

( 3 ) Could you report frames/sec in Nanosaur 2, the game that comes with the new iMacs? While playing the game, you hit F8 and the fps will show up. Try to run this game in the native display resolution. Could you try other games and report on performance? For example UT2k4 demo?

( 4 ) Can you run some specific audio/video transformation (with iTunes or iMovie) and report back? For example mp3 processing from an audio CD.

( 5 ) How is CPU usage during web surfing in sites with many animations? Launch Activity monitor from /Applications/Utilities and watch.

( 6 ) Run the Xbench benchmark. I doubt it is worth anything, but it is often used to compare Macs between them. Idem for Altivec Fractal Carbon; it will show you the results on the title bar.

( 7 ) How much noisy is this machine while playing some audio CD or DVD? (Noise from fans/drive)

( 8 ) You compared previously Windows MCE PC with this iMac. Could you be more detailed?

Why don't you ask him to recompile Adobe Photoshop to run on Intel while he's at it?

GTSC
  • Reply 11 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Ok, here we go.

no offense, but those are some retarded requests.

what exactly do you think it's going to show?
  • Reply 12 of 112
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    Quote:

I would like to see some doom3 benchmark/fps =)
  • Reply 13 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Apple says a few days.

I called and spoke to Amazon. Seems like the iMac orders are a clusterfuck.

They won't be receiving any till Novemeber 7 and even then, based on Apple's expected delivery schedule and amount in each shipment and amount of preorders my delivery estimate is apparently accurate.
  • Reply 14 of 112
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I think the most important at this point are reports about heat and noise under system stress. The previous two generations have apparently widespread issues concerning these two operation characteristics. The new design leaves me assume that finally Apple has addressed them, or at least they made a decent effort to address them.

The newest iMacs have a heatpipe to help cool the CPU. This was shown on some Japanese site where they disassembled the iMac completely.

My Rev A iMac G5 just went back to the Apple Store today due to overheating issues which causes the iMac to go to sleep. This is the second time I've brought it in due to this issue. Hopefully they'll really fix it this time.
  • Reply 15 of 112
    Quote:

no offense, but those are some retarded requests.

It is easy to call names on someone or something, but no so easy to justify them.

Quote:

what exactly do you think it's going to show?

(S)He said that (s)he will be happy to answer questions. No one force him(her) to answer all my questions. They are there only as a base for discussion. Which I thought would interest many people here, since the first two generations of the G5 iMac suffered from serious heat and noise issues, often preventing users to enjoy their machine at its full potential.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent

Why don't you ask him to recompile Adobe Photoshop to run on Intel while he's at it?

Because I doubt he would have the source code and I would like spare him from the trouble of installing the developer tools .
  • Reply 17 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Because I doubt he would have the source code and I would like spare him from the trouble of installing the developer tools .

Well, if you install the developer tools you do get Image FunHouse.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Well, if you install the developer tools you do get Image FunHouse.

Is this new in Tiger? I cannot find it in Panther.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    Quote:

I called and spoke to Amazon. Seems like the iMac orders are a clusterfuck.

Or...it is just a very popular product early in the production life-cycle so it is back-ordered. Not a clusterfuck.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Is this new in Tiger? I cannot find it in Panther.

Yes, it is new to Tiger and was written to show off the capabilities of CoreImage.