Anyone received new iMac yet?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    Alright, I'll do my best...

( 1 ) Which model do you have? 17 inch, wireless keyboard and mouse

( 2 ) How is (fan) noise under system load? Heat? You can check temperatures with Temperature Monitor.

***Didnt download Temperature Monitor. However it is VERY quiet. Much quiter than my $2k Sony. I did notice that the screen felt warm and I could feel heat from about 2 inches away from the screen.

( 3 ) Could you report frames/sec in Nanosaur 2, the game that comes with the new iMacs? While playing the game, you hit F8 and the fps will show up. Try to run this game in the native display resolution. Could you try other games and report on performance? For example UT2k4 demo? ***Not a gamer, so my take on this wouldn't be fair.

( 4 ) Can you run some specific audio/video transformation (with iTunes or iMovie) and report back? For example mp3 processing from an audio CD.

***Mp3 transformation is very quick. Burning DVDs takes a long time. Im not sure if "duplicating a DVD would go quicker, but burning the movie I made in iDVD took about 20 minutes (I duped it in my Sony machine in about 5). Also , I imported a couple hundred photos from a CD... took about 3 minutes.

( 5 ) How is CPU usage during web surfing in sites with many animations? Launch Activity monitor from /Applications/Utilities and watch.

***I have not monitored CPU usage, but I can. I do think websurfing is a little slower than what I am used to. I am connected through my wireless LAN, but my Windows laptop "seems" to be quicker.

( 6 ) Run the Xbench benchmark. I doubt it is worth anything, but it is often used to compare Macs between them. Idem for Altivec Fractal Carbon; it will show you the results on the title bar.

***I'll pass on this for now.

( 7 ) How much noisy is this machine while playing some audio CD or DVD? (Noise from fans/drive)

***When lauched, you can hear the drive spin, but after it gets spinning, I cannot recall hearing anything.

( 8 ) You compared previously Windows MCE PC with this iMac. Could you be more detailed?

***I think Front Row is a lot more user friendly. MCE is a little more complex when it comes to setting up the folders you would like to use for Photos, Video, music, etc.. However, this could be because the "Finer" application is so easy within the Mac. I am biased becasue I LOVE itunes, and I am very happy to have an interface that I can use for music that acts just like my iPod. In very unscientific terms, I think Front Row just "looks" cooler.
  • Reply 22 of 112
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    kyle325ci, thanks, your feedback is much appreciated . Good news overall from what you say.

In regard to web browsing, Macs are often at least perceived as slower than lesser Windows systems. I don't know the reason, it has to do perhaps with the Quartz graphics layer of Mac OS X, perhaps something else. Oh, it depends on the browser too and optimisations. I suppose you used Safari. For the Macintosh there are several good browsers now. Let me cite Camino, Firefox, Omniweb, Opera and Shiira. By the way, what exactly is your laptop?

Also it is good to know that this machine is so quiet when playing media audio/video from the optical drive, since otherwise its purpose (something like media center to be watched in rather short distances) would be defeated.
  • Reply 23 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

(S)He said that (s)he will be happy to answer questions. No one force him(her) to answer all my questions. They are there only as a base for discussion. Which I thought would interest many people here, since the first two generations of the G5 iMac suffered from serious heat and noise issues, often preventing users to enjoy their machine at its full potential.

Since when did Revision B models exhibit this behavior? And since when was this exhibited by Revision As that have not been recalled?
  • Reply 24 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Or...it is just a very popular product early in the production life-cycle so it is back-ordered. Not a clusterfuck.

Or.... it's not backordered. Perhaps you could start by reading my post and trying to understand it. Amazon said that based on the frequency and size of their shipments they will not receive enough to fullfill orders placed in the last 2 weeks till January.

You might call that a back-order but I call that a clusterfuck that doesn't make any sense.

Do you work for Amazon?
  • Reply 25 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by L'Angelo Misterioso

Or.... it's not backordered. Perhaps you could start by reading my post and trying to understand it. Amazon said that based on the frequency and size of their shipments they will not receive enough to fullfill orders placed in the last 2 weeks till January.

Oh...so it is on allocation then...effectively the same thing...but...

Quote:

You might call that a back-order but I call that a clusterfuck that doesn't make any sense.

...still not a clusterfuck

Quote:

Do you work for Amazon?

No...I've just conditioned myself to not overreact and go haywire when things don't go exactly my way and in the time I want them to.
  • Reply 26 of 112
    Quote:

Oh...so it is on allocation then...effectively the same thing...but...

...still not a clusterfuck

Thanks for confirming my usage of the term "clusterfuck" was correct.

Perhaps you should attempt reading the thread to define it yourself.
  • Reply 27 of 112
    Quote:

Thanks for confirming my usage of the term "clusterfuck" was correct.

Perhaps you should attempt reading the thread to define it yourself.

Sorry, but you have not described "an operation in which multiple things have gone wrong"....merely an operation in which delivery is longer than you desire.

In fact, arguably, nothing has gone "wrong" at all...just not as you hoped or expected. It is helpful to distinguish between the two.

• Reply 28 of 112
    Quote:

Sorry, but you have not described "an operation in which multiple things have gone wrong"....merely an operation in which delivery is longer than you desire.

In fact, arguably, nothing has gone "wrong" at all...just not as you hoped or expected. It is helpful to distinguish between the two.

Sorry, but clearly you not only do not read this thread, but you also do not read the links you post in attempts to criticize posts you haven't read.
  • Reply 29 of 112
    Quote:

Sorry, but clearly you not only do not read this thread, but you also do not read the links you post in attempts to criticize posts you haven't read.

I read every post you made (in this thread). In fact I read every post. You're digging your heals in. I should expect this from someone who would says something like "no offense, but those are some retarded requests".
  • Reply 30 of 112
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I just ordered one from Apple about 5 minutes ago. It says 5-7 days.

[edit] Correction: Now that I've got my confirmation email, it says expected ship = Nov. 7.
  • Reply 31 of 112
    Chris and L'Angelo, it's just a word, take your arguments elsewhere.

I ordered a 20" iMac on the day after the announcement (the 13th, two weeks ago today), and it started to ship today. It's currently in China.
  • Reply 32 of 112
    Quote:

Since when did Revision B models exhibit this behavior?

Apparently you do not follow closely Apple's own forums on the issue. There were HUGE threads on noise, heat causing iMacs to automatically go to sleep or even shutdown, motherboard after motherboard on the same machine still not addressing the issue etc. Some of those were without warning deleted by Apple's moderators.

You can still see much buzz about noise and heat. It is true that the second generation of iMacs has the issue in lesser extend, but more than one would expect from the experience with other Macs. Hopefully the third generation has put at rest all this trouble.

Quote:

And since when was this exhibited by Revision As that have not been recalled?

Apart the repair extension program (which is not a recall), I am not aware of any iMac recall. What do you mean actually with your statement?
  • Reply 33 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PCheese

I ordered a 20" iMac on the day after the announcement (the 13th, two weeks ago today), and it started to ship today. It's currently in China.

Ordered mine on the 18th...scheduled to ship on (or before...he hopes) 11/1. Patiently looking forward to it. This old 600MHz G3 iBook is getting a little long in the tooth.
  • Reply 34 of 112
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Well, I got tired of waiting for an update on my order from Amazon, so I canceled it and went to the Apple Store yesterday. They had 17" but not 20" in stock; I wanted the smaller one anyway.

Here are the obligatory unpacking photos.

Not much to see--there just isn't much in the box!
  • Reply 35 of 112
    Cool. Would you like to report back with your impressions? Macworld just tested this unit and found it holds very well its ground when compared to the old 2.0 GHz 20" model. Do you have some other Mac to compare your new machine?
  • Reply 36 of 112
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Would have posted sooner, but I was out of town for the weekend. The machine's been up and running pretty much constantly for the last 4 days. Mostly ripping DVDs and running BitTorrent; trying to build a video library. For the most part it's pleasantly snappy; I'm hoping the extra gig of RAM I ordered will improve that further when it arrives.

As of now, here are the readings from Tempurature Monitor. I have nothing to compare them to, so read into them as you will:

CPU Temp: 62.8C

GPU Ambient: 71.5C

GBU Temp: 77.8C

HD Temp: 52.5C

Incoming Air Temp: 29.5C

NB Ambient: 58.6C

NB Temp: 80.2C

ODD Temp: 48.0C

There's a fairly long, thin vent along the top of the machine in the back where the heat seems to dissipate. It feels somewhat warm but by no means hot.

I haven't played any games (and don't care to), so I can't comment on the FPS questions. Converting an MP3 to AAC in iTunes ran at about 12x--and that's while Handbrake is encoding into Xvid in the background.

Speaking of that, MPEG-4 at 400kbps encodes pretty quickly, around 30FPS (about 1x speed), but Xvid at 1500kbps is chugging along closer to 9FPS. Does anybody know if that's more a function of the codec, or the bitrate?

I am digging Front Row quite a bit, but it does have a couple of quirks I'm hoping will be worked out over time. First, it seems to be finnicky about launching on occasion, but maybe I'm just catching it when it's thinking about too many other things (can't seem to duplicate my issue at this exact moment). Anyway, if I'm persistent it will eventually load.

Second, I really don't care for the way Front Row organizes videos. It's hard to describe, as it provides several submenus that can overlap with one another... Some based on iTunes predetermined (and unchangeable) classifications, and others based on your nested folders in the ~/Movies directory. Oddly, when choosing "Movies" from the Front Row list, you first see all videos in your iTunes library that did NOT come through the Music Store, and then must scroll down to find your own nested folders. In my case, this results in a messy list of duplicated entries (probably because I stubbornly won't allow iTunes to copy video files into the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder.)

Well, that's it for now... anything else?
  • Reply 37 of 112
    Is this for the 20" or the 17"? A poster on xlr8yourmac.com noted yesterday that he had received his 20" and ran some basic tests. One of those that's important to note is that you need QTPro to record from the iSight unless you are using Photobooth. However, he also got USBvision to work with it, which seems to indicate that the internal iSight is part of the USB subsystem.

He also posted temp numbers, which we're all very good.
  • Reply 38 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Is this for the 20" or the 17"?

It looks like the 17" model .
  • Reply 39 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Well, that's it for now... anything else?

Do you have 10.4.3 or 10.4.2? How are iTunes visuals (fps)?

Could you try Nanosaur 2 (it comes with the iMac) in the native resolution and report fps? Just hit F8 while playing.

Do you find the machine noisy under system stress? Although this is to some extent subjective, you could nevertheless tell us what do you think.

By the way, what are GBU, NB and ODD temperatures?
  • Reply 40 of 112
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I ordered my 17" iMac on Oct. 27, and I just got notification that it shipped today. The only custom option was the larger hard drive. That was just under a week to ship.