Nvidia 7800 GT and Power Mac G5 Quad in final testing

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's new high-end Power Mac G5 Quad and NVIDIA's GeForce 7800 GT graphics card are both in the final testing stages at Apple and could begin shipping in the second half of November, according to reports.

Apple's online store currently lists lead times of 3 to 4 weeks for the Power Mac Quad and 6 to 8 weeks for the NVIDIA 7800, but Apple representatives recently told an AppleInsider correspondent that the company hopes to ship the first batch of both products in mid-to-late November.

Power Mac G5 Quad Ultimate configuration

In the weeks that will follow, Apple retail stores nationwide will begin to stock a special Power Mac G5 Quad configuration that will include the 7800 GT as standard, according to reliable sources. The configuration will be called the "Power Mac G5 Quad Ultimate" and will retail for around (US)$4000 with 1GB of DDR2 RAM and other component upgrades.

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT delays

Slowing the release of the 7800 appears to be a stringent set of Apple acoustic guidelines which the graphics cards must meet before they can be included inside the new Power Macs. Since the 7800 packs its own fan in addition to its 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM, Apple wants to be sure the cards do not contribute significantly to the noise already produced by the Power Mac's own cooling system.

Apple reportedly uses a sophisticated set of software algorithms to active or deactivate specific fans inside the Power Macs depending on the type and size of the data being processed. In addition to the two inlet and outlet fans present in each Power Mac G5, the Power Mac G5 Quad requires a liquid cooling system to help regulate the temperature inside the computer.

Liquid Cooling System

Once again, it appears that Apple has tapped Troy, Mich.-based Delphi-Harrison for the cooling systems, which are manufactured in Mexico and flown to Apple's manufacturing facilities in the Far East. The cooling systems resemble an automotive radiator and consist of approximately 80% water with an added mixture of corrosion inhibitors and bacterial growth preventatives.

Though it's uncertain, reasonable speculation suggests that the Power Mac G5 Quad may be seeing delays associated with its few specialized components -- mainly the liquid cooling system and faster 2.5GHz IBM PowerPC 970MP processors.

Apple performance benchmarks

Although Apple has not shipped any Power Mac G5 Quad systems that could be used to perform benchmarks calculations, tests run by the company in September show the Quad to be 88% faster in double-preciscion math calculations than the previous-generation Power Mac Dual 2.7GHz model. Likewise, the Quad proved to be 39%, 55% and 85% faster than the Dual in BBSv3 multiple-processor tests, Cinebench multiple-processor rendering tests, and floating-point calculations, respectively.

Power Mac G5 Quad vs Power Mac G4 Dual

Apple also compared the performance of the Power Mac G5 Quad to the Power Mac G4 Dual 1.42MHz in a series of software tests. According to the results, the Quad performed a 45-filter Photoshop CS2 test 184% faster than the Power Mac G4. In After Effects 6.5.1 the Quad faired even better, completing a visual effects rendering test 272% faster than the G4.

Real-world benchmarks

However, the only real-world Power Mac G5 Quad benchmark comes from Luxology, developers of the Modo surface modeling environment. According to a recent posting by the company's Allen Hastings, the Power Mac G5 Quad renders over twice as fast as Apple's previous Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz systems.

"We had the opportunity to try one of the new quad G5s with modo 201 and I must say I was impressed with its speed," Hastings wrote in a message to the Luxology online forum. "As an example, it rendered the global illumination test image shown above in 17 seconds flat. The scene includes 244,000 polygons with 8 sample antialiasing and 200 indirect rays."

By comparison, Hastings said the Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz took 38 seconds to render the same scene.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    That's great news.

I can't wait to get this machine. I changed yesterday my order to add the GT card. I think the quad with GT will be a great machine for the next 2 to 3 years until Intel revB comes along. Then I think will be safe to upgrade.

Look forward to get it by end of November!
  • Reply 2 of 49
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Nice but... what about electrical power and noise levels?

Which are the power specs (max. Watts) of each of the new PowerMac G5 dual-core models?

How much does a sigle G5 core consume (max. Watts)? What about a doble-core G5?

Finally, what about noise (dB) levels?
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Sounds great. What other component goodies may be supposed to be included besides the 1GB RAM and the 7800 GT?
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Nice to see Allen Hastings writing some really nice software for the Mac. I've used his software since back in the Amiga's Videoscape 3D days which was a great product.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Of course, Apple fails (yet again) to deliver the product based on their own promises. Their PR said early November. Now it's mid to late November.

The vendor I ordered from said they were expecting stock (as told to them by Apple) on 11/2 and 11/3. That's since been revised.

It's annoying how this always happens with Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaronbrass

Of course, Apple fails (yet again) to deliver the product based on their own promises. Their PR said early November. Now it's mid to late November.

The vendor I ordered from said they were expecting stock (as told to them by Apple) on 11/2 and 11/3. That's since been revised.

Oh hogwash. Delays happen with all kinds of companies. Because one vendor was expecting stock, and Apple wishes to be sure about what it is sending you find it disappointing. There was no 'promise' I ever heard about early November.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Nice to see Allen Hastings writing some really nice software for the Mac. I've used his software since back in the Amiga's Videoscape 3D days which was a great product.

Hey, I remember Videoscape I can't say it was a great product--you had to do your modeling by hand on GRAPH PAPER and key in the coordinates into a text file! But it was still fun, and it WAS after all the precursor to Lightwave 3D, which I use to this day

(Which is why Videoscape's later companion, Modeler 3D, looked and worked so much like Lightwave Modeler today. Videoscape + Modeler taken together wasn't a bad system, although much better came along. Alladin 4D! Real 3D!)
  • Reply 8 of 49
    when I placed my order for the quad I was expecting by middle November. then I changed it to the GT card and now I was looking for early December, maybe middle of December.

Apple never promised anything for early November. That's your wrong assumption jaronbrass.

Now it seems that the GT card "might" be here earlier. That's great news.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    I don't think it's the wrong assumption. According to their press release, and to all of the Macintosh news coverage, the Quad was to be available in early November:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/oct/19pmg5.html

The fact that they're performing final testing now is fine, but it still makes them late. I guess I'm expecting them to come out and say "Sorry, it's going to be slightly later than we said it would be." I know that won't happen.

I worked for Apple nearly two years before leaving and joining the company I work for now. The company I presently work for is one of Apple's largest ad/marketing customers, and we also do their marketing. This wouldn't be a big deal to me if we weren't going through a lease refresh on our G5 workstations. I have 65 new G5s on order, including 15 Quads.

In the days before the announcement of the new machines, inventory levels dropped, and that postponed shipments on PowerBooks and Power Macs that are part of this refresh for us.

While the average consumer might not consider the added wait time a big deal, I've been forced to extend our lease an additional month. Now, with the added delays anticipated by the Quads, the lease might have to go another month. It's money we shouldn't be spending, because we're effectively paying for two leases right now, instead of just one.

The leverage we have with Apple is good, but the misinformation is what kills me the most. Apple says early November, vendor corroborates. Then, AppleInsider says the machines are *just now* going through final testing. And vendor ultimately confirms that. I'm just upset because I feel somewhat misled. You can agree or disagree with me on this, but it's my perspective on the situation.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Hey, I remember Videoscape I can't say it was a great product--you had to do your modeling by hand on GRAPH PAPER and key in the coordinates into a text file! But it was still fun, and it WAS after all the precursor to Lightwave 3D, which I use to this day

Back then I was used to that though. I had a couple of OKI Intel i860 workstations though at work so POVRay got more use later on. The shaded Videoscape look was quite cool though.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Well, in any moment Apple said to me that I would receive it early November.

I placed an order for my Quad the day they announce it. It always said that I would receive it around November 17 or later, even the Apple sales person comfirm these dates when i talked over the phone.

Now with the GT card I was expecting it by December 15 the latest. If I can get it earlier then it will be great.

Maybe because you placed a larger order it's possible that Apple promised it earlier. But I'm highly skeptical, sorry.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

There was no 'promise' I ever heard about early November.

Well, if you didn't hear about it, it must not have happened.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    this explains though why apple is working directly with nvidia to supply the 7800gt rather than bashing out a Quad 7800gt via Asus graphics card or something. they work directly with nvidia to (a) verify acoustic modelling and (b) fine tune driver setups. assuming no major f* ups, the Quad with 7800gt and 1gb ram is a very very compelling package for mac users that can afford to drop that US$4,000. a solid 2 year package to fully "ride out" the Intel transition.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zunx

Nice but... what about electrical power and noise levels?

Which are the power specs (max. Watts) of each of the new PowerMac G5 dual-core models?

How much does a sigle G5 core consume (max. Watts)? What about a doble-core G5?

Finally, what about noise (dB) levels?

I don't know the noise level, but it uses 10Amps max.It has a 16A cord and socket. The skngle chip models use much less and come with the old electricals.

A single core G5FX uses about 70 watts. A new G5MP. Uses, according to IBM, 100 watts max. An inprovement.

Why is this so important?
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

Sounds great. What other component goodies may be supposed to be included besides the 1GB RAM and the 7800 GT?

It might come with a hard drive.

"Component upgrades". Other than the 1Gig RAM?
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaronbrass

A few weeks is no biggie. Thery aren't the only ones to have that problem.

You can always run out and buy a BOXX.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

this explains though why apple is working directly with nvidia to supply the 7800gt rather than bashing out a Quad 7800gt via Asus graphics card or something. they work directly with nvidia to (a) verify acoustic modelling and (b) fine tune driver setups. assuming no major f* ups, the Quad with 7800gt and 1gb ram is a very very compelling package for mac users that can afford to drop that US$4,000. a solid 2 year package to fully "ride out" the Intel transition.

One thing I'm wondering about, as I'm planning to get the Quad with the 7800 in Jan, is which chips are they using for the memory. I hope it's 2 512 chips. You know, they might just put 4 256's in. I wouldn't want that. I really want 4 GB's, but I didn't want to pay Apple $700 for it.

This is kind of screwy. I can't buy 3GB prpperly if they supply 1GB. I hate to throw it out, and I hate (well, I really don't HATE it, but...) to buy 2GB for $300.

DDR2 RAM prices are falling faster than DDR prices are, so maybe by Jan the prices will be lower.

But this leaves $500 for the board upgrade. More than I thought it would be. This board only goes for $425 or so. This is really too much considering that it replaces a board that we were being charged for already. So that makes it $600. Too much it seems.

Unless Apple is also giving a larger HD. Maybe a 400GB. But I don't see anything about that.

The web site now offers the 7800 upgrade for $350 which is at the low side of my original estimate. That's very good.

But this configuration doesn't make sense. With the 1Gig upgrade ($200) and the board upgrade ($350), I get a total of $3,850.

So where is the extra $150?
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Forget the Quad (ironically, I used to own the Quadra). Waiting for the 2nd iteration of the Macintel machines. I'll wait for the bugs to work out of the 1st gen.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Forget the Quad (ironically, I used to own the Quadra). Waiting for the 2nd iteration of the Macintel machines. I'll wait for the bugs to work out of the 1st gen.

If you can wait for 2007 sometime, fine.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

So where is the extra $150?

I would think that the "Power Mac G5 Quad Ultimate" might have a 500GB HDD as stock...

One can only hope...