w00t!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I too changed my quad order to include the new 7800 card. I'm happy Apple added this option, as I was a little dismayed at the difference between the 6600 and Quadro FX 4500 ($1,650 more!) The 6600 seemed only 'okay', but I couldn't justify the jump to the next better card. (I have no plans to own two 30" monitors any time soon!)

The 7800 GT seems to have much of the performance of the Quadro, but only occupies one slot. Sweet.

This is my first desktop upgrade in three years, from a dual-1Ghz G4. Apple's saying 6-8 weeks (due to the video card.) I can wait. As another poster commented, I expect that this machine will last another three years, or at least until the problems have been shaken out with the Intel boxes.

coyote

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    whoa!... sounds pretty sweet!... to bad you'll have to wait that much for it.

but still.. nice machine
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The beauty of PCI Express is that you can easily run dual cards if you want to eventually run two behemoth LCDs.

I'm envious of you. How dare you make me commit a deadly sin. :P
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The beauty of PCI Express is that you can easily run dual cards if you want to eventually run two behemoth LCDs.

or 2 dual-port cards..or more even...?

and you're not the only with envy problems.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coyote

This is my first desktop upgrade in three years, from a dual-1Ghz G4.

Quite an upgrade! I've been nothing but pleased with my G5 tower and if you're used to a Dual G4, the Quad G5 is gonna spank it up and down.

I also agree with your thoughts on the video cards. There needed to be a middle ground option for those who don't the Pro card. I think it's the choice I'd make too.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    $3299. You know people paid that much for the original IBM PC with dual floppies, 64K of RAM, no HD. (sigh) I wish I could persuade myself to spend that much money...

BTW notice that the 2GHz entry-level model is back to 1GHz FSB. It's not a dumbed-down model anymore, it just has a smaller HD and a dumber graphics card. Good show, Apple.