Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    looks cool.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by bigmac81

looks cool.

Thanks.

I think its time we have our music and videos available through out the house using Airport. And I don´t mean just having a new Airport Express with video out.I mean a full blown networked FrontRow device.

Time for Apple to enter this market in a big way. Just look at Slimdevices and at their new player. Now imagine Apple made one of those ....

Just imagine
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by European guy

Thanks.

I think its time we have our music and videos available through out the house using Airport. And I don´t mean just having a new Airport Express with video out.I mean a full blown networked FrontRow device.

Time for Apple to enter this market in a big way. Just look at Slimdevices and at their new player. Now imagine Apple made one of those ....

Just imagine

I like the concept... but what about something that does not need a TV? What I mean is for just music, have a LCD-like screen, almost iPod-ish, to say what song you are on. If you attach it to your TV, it displays the Front Row interface, giving you access to the Video parts of this feature set.

I will look into creating a mockup here soon, but something that has the functionality of what you are talking about, but could really re-vamp the media distribution model.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I like the idea but it would be best if it were just a small box that plugs into your TV. Cheaper that way.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

I like the concept... but what about something that does not need a TV? What I mean is for just music, have a LCD-like screen, almost iPod-ish, to say what song you are on. If you attach it to your TV, it displays the Front Row interface, giving you access to the Video parts of this feature set.

I will look into creating a mockup here soon, but something that has the functionality of what you are talking about, but could really re-vamp the media distribution model.

Mike (and Danosaur), I think I understand what you mean.

That could be an interesting AND cheaper solution than having a full blown LCD like my proposal.

The reason I included an LCD is that it would avoid the need to attach a TV in every room you have a FronRow Express in. It could easily substitute the second and third TV sets people have around the house ( or don't have but are contemplating having).

Just drop one of these in whatever room you want to watch and hear your media and you're done. No clunky TVs or expensive plasmas.

Of course you could substitute the front bezel with colors to match your room or in beautiful wood finish . ;-))

Price ?? 349 USD.

The Apple way ;-) . Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I like the idea but it would be best if it were just a small box that plugs into your TV. Cheaper that way.

Mac mini with component video out anyone?

In fact...past rumors about the (possible) integrated iPod dock in the Mac mini...and the "super dock" might all make sense now...

Mac mini + integrated iPod universal dock + IR receiver and remote + component video out + Front Row = Apple Media Center

Not that much of a leap actually.

• Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

In fact...past rumors about the (possible) integrated iPod dock in the Mac mini...and the "super dock" might all make sense now...

Mac mini + integrated iPod universal dock + IR receiver and remote + component video out + Front Row = Apple Media Center

Yeah..well, I think the mini is a switchers machine. Not a real Mac. ;-)

BYOWCH (Bring Your Own Windows Crap Hardware).

I think the media devices, like the iPod, should only run a embedded App like Front Row.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

I think you are close to what I think Apple has cooking.

You see, after I read this info on this new patent, I really think Apple is on the way of creating the infrastructure of a TRUE "On Demand" media center. Check out this patent:

On Demand Video Content Server.

So, Front Row, a way of downloading or streaming large files (Video content) without interruption= On Demand Media Center.

I think it is pretty obvious, but we'll see.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

No, I don't want to spend $500.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

No, I don't want to spend $500.

Who says it would be. Perhaps it is a streamlined (drop CD drive) Mac mini. Plus Apple seems very adept at figuring out how to squeeze cubic inches, ounces and cost out of the iPod. Who says they cannot/would not do it here too?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    just quickly, why 2 apple remotes?

stu
  • Reply 12 of 16
    in case you had lost one i assume, those things are pretty damn small.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    That needs just one more app to make it truly 21st century:

iChat full w/full screen chat
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I was actually thinking about Front Row and, as someone here called it, "the 10 foot interface"...

I don't see any reason why there could not be a "10 foot interface" version of iCal and Address Book...at least the viewing of these.

Mail and iChat become slightly more problematic in that they require a bit more subtle/intricate user interaction...keyboard entry...mousing...etc.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

just quickly, why 2 apple remotes?

stu

hmmmm...erm....huh......maybe....erm....

for 2 people ?

You carry one in your pocket to control all units and so does your better half.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I think the smartest thing Apple could do at this point is simply sell a Front Row kit for something like $50 to $100 (like a monster profit margin) - the same remote, a little sexy looking USB infrared detector that goes with the apple decor ... and any necessary software.

Just keep it simple, and see if it sells ...

I was just playing with Front Row on my friends new iMac the other day, and I was blown away - I am now totally jealouse despite the fact I'm picking up a new Dual G5 in a week or two ... it was just amazing, the ability to just sit back, away from your computer - for a change; and put your brain into relax mode, simply watch a movie, or listen to any music you want without having to get up and mouse around up close.

I mean, we've got 23" Hi-Def LCD's guys ... let's use 'em.

It'll sell.

... and one day, maybe even Apple will do a Tivo type thing using iCal on your .Mac account as the interface?