Glass cube assembly begins at site of 5th Ave flagship store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Construction workers last week began to assemble a giant glass cube, which will be set like a jumbo gemstone atop Apple Computer's upcoming flagship retail store in the underground concourse of the General Motors building in Midtown Manhattan.

On Thursday workers operating a crane could be seen lowering several glass panels into place in the middle of the plaza of the GM building at 767 Fifth Avenue, between 58th and 59th Street.

When complete, the 32-foot glass cube will form a stunning gateway to a circular glass staircase and cylindrical elevator leading to an underground 25,000-square-foot Apple retail store.

Apple will reportedly reserve a few thousand square-feet for storage and office space, reducing the usable retail space to about 21,000-square feet -- almost the equivalent to its SoHo flagship retail store, located in southern Manhattan.

In a recent conference call, Apple for the first time acknowledged that it was constructing a giant retail store on 5th Ave. and said it hoped to begin operating out of the location in fiscal year 2006.

Sources privy to Apple's plans previously told AppleInsider the 5th Ave. store would rival anything seen from the company's retail division so far.

Apple reportedly began construction of the store in late-February.

(Photo credits: www.cheechandchong.com)

Rendering of 5th Ave. Apple retail store entrance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Love the last two pictures, where the gentleman is apparently vomiting into a trashcan and then collapsing ... a design element, I'm sure. :-)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Windows user no doubt!

• Reply 3 of 11
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    My daughter and walked by it Saturday, and it appeared to have several glass panels in place at the bottom on the right side, so I'm not sure when it was actually started.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I thought he was looking for dinner!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Is the whole store going to be underground?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I thought he was looking for dinner!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ¡HOLA MIS AMIGOS!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by lanky_nathan

Love the last two pictures, where the gentleman is apparently vomiting into a trashcan and then collapsing ... a design element, I'm sure. :-)

lol
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Re: the vomiting windows user

These photos (and your fun replies) gave me the best laugh I have had in about 6 months!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apple3.14

Re: the vomiting windows user

These photos (and your fun replies) gave me the best laugh I have had in about 6 months!

you need to get out more
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ROFLMAO heh. you all funny.