Pure Speculation: PowerPod?!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Steve jobs introduced the iPod in the iMac/iBook context. And there's already talk regarding enhanced Pro iPods. So rather than creating multiple new iProducts, why not leverage the line _Pod line...

Example:

iPod: Tote your media and play MP3s on the road. $199-$299

PowerPod: Your complete personal portable media player. $499 (Larger, color screen. Bigger HD. Ability to play QT movies and run QT applications.)

I thought this sounded good and logical. As this hasn't been mentioned before, at least in this contect, I had to bring it up.

So... discuss...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Oh yeah, I'm awesome... I didn't claim that this thread was confirmed.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Sounds almost like you're describing a PDA...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Uhhhh, PDAs...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    If it had video out and could be connected to a monitor/TV it might do well for presentations and that would differentiate it from PDA's if not laptops.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    What a silly idea. So by that rationale, we should have the following software if we use a powermac: powertunes, powertools, powercards, blah. Apple needs to focus on computer products right now, not peripherals. The iPod is nice, but they need to start pumping out competitive hardware as soon as possible, neh?

• Reply 6 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by Gigawire:

<strong>What a silly idea. So by that rationale, we should have the following software if we use a powermac: powertunes, powertools, powercards, blah. Apple needs to focus on computer products right now, not peripherals. The iPod is nice, but they need to start pumping out competitive hardware as soon as possible, neh?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point. But notice that Apple's pro software doesn't fit the mold, other than "____ Pro" (Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro and, dare I mention Quicktime Pro). So you've got "Power___" for HW and "____ Pro" for SW. And like I said, consumer products will join the "i____" ranks (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iBook, iMac, iPod).

Thus a PowerPod is still a viable HW concept, whereas it's SW (say the venerable iMusic music composition/mixing product, or iPhoto) would be called Photo Studio Pro and Music Studio Pro, or perhaps better, more creative names.