AirPort Extreme due an update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It seems to me that with the growth of Wi-Fi, Apple's once excellent Airport Extreme base stations are now looking a little tired. Surely injecting some life into them by including an in-built ADSL modem would liven the range up a little, - I'd be first in line to get one. There was some talk a while back about updating the Airport Express, does anyone think Airport Extreme will get an update too?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Why add a modem when ISPs are going to give people the modems for free.

What's needed is better antenna options (MIMO).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Why add a modem when ISPs are going to give people the modems for free.

What's needed is better antenna options (MIMO).

Don't know about you, but over here, ISPs hand out USB modems which are useless for wireless. So if I want to go wireless for my broadband connection, I need to buy a Netgear or Belkin router, but this will not allow me to attach a USB printer. 56K is so last year!

This thread could start to look like a wishlist - I want an ADSL modem, you want better antenna options. Hell, might as well chuck in an optical audio output and everyone will be happy. Surely it is only a matter of time until Apple makes a Pre-N wireless router, I hope they add these features too.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Hell, might as well chuck in an optical audio output

It already has that (albeit with a slightly unusual connector that you're unlikely to have lying around).
  • Reply 4 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what they need is "n, or e" in all computers and routers. there is a lot of talk of "broadband everywhere" well apple made it popular before they should come to the plate
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

It already has that (albeit with a slightly unusual connector that you're unlikely to have lying around).

Airport Extreme doesn't have an optical connection does it?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Packing in an ADSL modem would be extremely useful for a very neat one box solution although it's a little lacking in features still - firewall, port forwarding and personally a VPN server

Being able to use it as an ethernet to wireless bridge would be useful too. I was a little disappointed when I first got mine that you couldn't plug it in to an ethernet only Mac and connect to an existing non-WDS wireless network, only the other way around.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Quote:

Copied from http://www.apple.com/uk/airportexpress/specs.html

Analogue/optical digital audio: Yes

• Reply 8 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

the express has.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

the express has.

That's what I thought. The thread was about the Airport Extreme base station, not the express, as I think it unrealistic to have the features I was hoping for in the Express.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Being able to use it as an ethernet to wireless bridge would be useful too. I was a little disappointed when I first got mine that you couldn't plug it in to an ethernet only Mac and connect to an existing non-WDS wireless network, only the other way around.

I was just looking at buying one of these things, but its not clear what the Ethernet port can be used for. My house is wired with Ethernet and I have a bunch of computers connected to the router/DSL modem -- can I plug the Express' Ethernet port into one of the router ports and they have an iBook which networks via the Express? Can the Express then play music from the hardwired computer(s)?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    pre-N hardware needs to get the hell out the door. These standardization boards in-fight so much we really miss out on great technology.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

I was just looking at buying one of these things, but its not clear what the Ethernet port can be used for. My house is wired with Ethernet and I have a bunch of computers connected to the router/DSL modem -- can I plug the Express' Ethernet port into one of the router ports and they have an iBook which networks via the Express? Can the Express then play music from the hardwired computer(s)?

You can use it as a wireless access point if your iBook has an airport card. Plug it in to a wired router and you've not got a wireless router essentially. And you can play music from ethernet based computers on the network too.

It's just the other way round that doesn't work. ie. non-WDS wireless router to AirportExpress to wired computer. I originally bought it because my router is next door and the iMac didn't have wireless so I thought I'd be able to plug the express in to the iMac and it would bridge to the wireless router - it won't. So I then bought an Airport card and the Express is relegated to Airtunes use or for when I'm out somewhere else - it's great for setting up impromptu wireless networks wherever you find an ethernet port and is so small it fits in a bag easy. Plus, a couple of places I've been, they don't spot it plugged in. :-)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

You can use it as a wireless access point if your iBook has an airport card. Plug it in to a wired router and you've not got a wireless router essentially. And you can play music from ethernet based computers on the network too.

It's just the other way round that doesn't work. ie. non-WDS wireless router to AirportExpress to wired computer. I originally bought it because my router is next door and the iMac didn't have wireless so I thought I'd be able to plug the express in to the iMac and it would bridge to the wireless router - it won't. So I then bought an Airport card and the Express is relegated to Airtunes use or for when I'm out somewhere else - it's great for setting up impromptu wireless networks wherever you find an ethernet port and is so small it fits in a bag easy. Plus, a couple of places I've been, they don't spot it plugged in. :-)

so in other words, if wired to an ethernet switch/router, it will act as an access point?

ie: the ethernet port is an "uplink" port?

this is going to be very useful in college...ethernet from wall to APE, I can sit wherever I want with the laptop