Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It's finally out ! I'm updating in few minutes.

I'm crossing my fingers, with all the video card drivers nasty problems I'm experiencing since two months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 142
    Let's party like it's 1984.
  • Reply 2 of 142
    yeehaaaaa I'm updating, 97mb of pure joy (I hope!!)
  • Reply 3 of 142
    Wowowow! This thing fixed my marriage and resurrected my dog.
  • Reply 4 of 142
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Two more reasons Macs are better than PCs!
  • Reply 5 of 142
    After repairing permissions, Exposé and Spotlight are quite noticeably faster and more responsive on my 17" 1Ghz PB G4 with 512MB of ram.
  • Reply 6 of 142
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

better than resurrecting your marriage and fixing your dog, i suppose.
  • Reply 7 of 142
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    this update will be my last effort at getting my home linksys airport network rolling correctly under tiger (long story...). if it still doesn't work, i'm just dropping cat5 down from the ceiling.
  • Reply 8 of 142
    OhhhhhhhHhhhhHh!

I can change the teeny-tiny, itty-bitty, way-too-small font in the Mail folders now. R0x0rz AppuL! It also failed to destroy my GPG and Mail Act-On extensions, which still work. Shocked I am, aghast, amazed, and very surprised!

And iTunes is tEh snaPpY again! For those keeping score, iTunes has seriously lacked, uhm, anything approaching speed and beachballed 2 deth since 5.0. Gonna party like it's 4.X again.

Average visualizations frame rate is back up to 30fps where I've capped it, instead of limping along at 12-17fps, which is the pathetic speed it's been going at since 5.X +

Also, iTunes no longer mangles video. It Just Works! Hooray!

I admit, deep down inside, I was hurt and emotionally scarred when my music started to grind to a halt. I mean, I fill up my PowerBook with 2GB, I have my tunes on a FireWire 800 drive going at 7200RPM and *THAT* was how Apple thanked me? Bad Steve, bad, bad, bad Steve.

More super-exciting discoveries as I make them.

<Bowing down to Saint Jobs> We are healed!

10.4.3 did overwrite and erase all of Micro$oft Orfice, but I'm unsure whether or not this is a feature.

Dunno 'bout Airport reception, I have 2GB, works for me. 'Course I'm using a PowerBook 1.5GHz; not upgrading until Rev B. Intels. I think I'll just skip the whole entire, "And there's SMOKE coming out of the screen, everything is broken, nothing works, I h4t3 apPUl!!#@!1!" rev A noise. I do occasionally hafta use the computer to, hmm, what's that word, oh yes: work.

God bless us, everyone. Most of all, those of us who use Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 142
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple on Monday released Mac OS X 10.4.3 Update, which delivers overall improved reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X v10.4 and is recommended for all users.

An official set of release notes accompanying the update says fixes are included for:

AFP, SMB/CIFS, NFS and FTP network file servicesAirPort and Bluetooth wireless accessCore Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, and RAW camera supportdisc recording when creating and burning media.Mac sync servicesSpotlight indexing and searching Dashboard widgets: Dictionary, Flight Tracker, Stickies, and Unit ConverterAddress Book, AppleScript, Automator, Dictionary, Font Book, iCal, iSync, Mail, and Safari applicationsDisk Utility, Keychain Access, Migration Assistant, and Software Updatecompatibility with third party applications and devicesprevious standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit Apple's knowledge base article on the subject.
  • Reply 10 of 142
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    My Pioneer A09XL (FW 1.58 ) is now delivered/supported by Apple.

109 MB combo
  • Reply 11 of 142
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    And the most important thing - any issues with 10.4.3? Also what about the Quartz 2D Extreme - is that on yet?
  • Reply 12 of 142
    Easy. Got some coffee during the download and then it was a restart.

MOST IMPORTANT: Repair Permissions after the restart - there was a lot more than I have ever had before.
  • Reply 13 of 142
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    great update, BUT:

the update....

Disables Quartz 2D Extreme?Quartz 2D Extreme is not a supported feature in Tiger, and re-enabling it may lead to video redraw issues or kernel panics.
  • Reply 14 of 142
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Hope it can make my 40 gb hdd into a 60 ... lol

Stuck in hell^H^H^H^Hwork, any issues with the Mac mini?
  • Reply 15 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Hope it can make my 40 gb hdd into a 60 ... lol

Stuck in hell^H^H^H^Hwork, any issues with the Mac mini?

Yeah and turn my 100GB into 500GB.
  • Reply 16 of 142
    Quote:

X11 windows no longer stay in the background after selecting the X11 application from the Dock or with Application Switcher.

Yes!!! Finally!

And everything else appears fine on PMG5 dual 2GHz and TiBookG4 550MHz.
  • Reply 17 of 142
    Does this fix the annoying bug which changes the selected application after being in sleep mode?
  • Reply 18 of 142
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    safari now is DOGSLOW! Scrolling speed 1 frame per second on my 1.5 GhZ Powerbook.
  • Reply 19 of 142
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Geeeeeeeez, after install, it took a good 12 - 15 minutes before my HDD would stop crunching away at full tilt. Is that spotlight at work? Must be journaling my drive or something. All reading, very little writing.

Other then that, I don't see any significant improvments.

As an owner of a Dual 2ghz G5, i hope this is not the last update I will ever see. With the switch to Intel, I guess they will drop support like a crank ho in Jersey.

Here is hoping for 10.4
  • Reply 20 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

safari now is DOGSLOW! Scrolling speed 1 frame per second on my 1.5 GhZ Powerbook.

Yes, but, LOOK!

http://www.webstandards.org/act/acid2/test.html#top

You can see the happY SmileY Face now. No need to download nightly builds of WebKit anymore.

Safari works the same as it ever has for me, same machine as you. Dunno.