various iPod woes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a 3G 15GB iPod that I love dearly and faithfully. But there is some unhappiness brewing.

First off, the thing dies very very quickly when connected to any computer via USB 2.0 and playback time has dropped significantly since I bought it.

Secondly, the cheap case I bought for it right when I first got it has stained the top.

Now, I'm fully prepared to embark on the journey of battery replacement. But how easy is it to remove this stain?

I love the clip on the back of this case so much that I didn't even take my iPod out of it for the first 5 or 6 months. Once I did... stained.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Somewhere recently there was a link to a guy who used "Brasso" to pretty much get his Nano looking like new.

In the course of doing its very mild abrasive, scratch removal thing, the Brasso seemed to take off a lot of ground in grime.

At any rate, it didn't hurt anything, and the before and after pictures really were pretty impressive.

Worth a shot?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    here's the link to the brasso can thing and maybe it'll work well for you

http://todd.dailey.info/archives/200...can-of-brasso/
  • Reply 3 of 13
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    I have a solution for you

"You can act like a man! [slap] What's the matter with you?" - Godfather.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Oh Scott you're a silly goose!

Also, I'll b e getting some Brasso and seeing what it does. My precious lives most of its life in that cheap Target case anyway.

My wife's iPod mini has the most awesome Apple belt clip. Just white plastic and it snaps right onto the back of the mini. I called Apple about one for my 3G 15GB and they don't make one.

And, of course, something that simple isn't something 3rd parties waste their time with... I just want a decent, minimal case with a proper belt clip.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Did you miss the class-action settlement? It applied to that iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Yes, yes I did miss that class action. Why? I'm an idiot.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Dude, is that really Scott?

When did he learn to use capital letters and link images and stuff?

That kind of thing was beyond Scott, despite his '_phd'.

I've noticed he hasn't denied being Scott.

I guess it's Scott, then.

HI SCOTT!

edit: it's definitely Scott. I just saw him say 'fscking' instead of 'fucking' in the Panda thread in AppleOutsider.

Welcome back, Scott. Delighted to see a perfect volte face in your politics. Now let's see if you find a middle way between unquestioning support for your old right wing politics and unquestioning support for the left wing politics you've suddenly adopted.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I haven't done the Brasso thing yet, but the damned thing has just started shutting down randomly. Awesome!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Did you guys get anything in response to that class action lawsuit back in Sept? I haven't heard back from Apple for either of my 2 iPods...is it too soon to start getting a tad worried?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Hey I have an iPod woe. My iPod mini just suddenly stopped working. I just loaded a new playlist onto it last night and this morning it wouldn't work. The buttons did nothing and the screen wouldn't come on. I tried plugging it into the the power adapter and then onto my iBook and nothing shows up. I got the Mini from my sister who bought it as a demo model. It says it is a 2005 model so I'm surprised it is already having problems. Unfortunately there is no warranty on it. Any ideas of what I could do. Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    iPodderGuy... I know that you said the buttons did not work. Did you try resetting the iPod? Hold the center button and press the Menu button until the iPod reboots. It will bring up the Apple logo when it reboots.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Boy, do I feel like an idiot! I've been pushing the menu and play buttons to reset the iPod. All's fine now, thanks kwsanders.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPodderGuy

Boy, do I feel like an idiot! I've been pushing the menu and play buttons to reset the iPod. All's fine now, thanks kwsanders.

No problem... that is what the forums are for. We all help each other out. I am glad to hear that it is working now.