AAPL vs DELL

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In light of Dell's earnings warning today, I find this interesting.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=3m&s...z=m&q=l&c=dell

I know it's way too early to suggest that a "jurassic shift" has started, but might it be possible that we will look back, a few years from now, at August 2005 as the beginning of a market migration away from the MS/Dell mega-monopoly? I realize it's just a 3 month indicator, but is it possible these chart paths never cross again?

...things that make you go Hmmmmmm!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, click on each of the time periods for the chart - that trend holds true going five years back.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I know, it actually goes goes back to Jan 04, and it's a chart of relative price share, not market share, but I'm extrapolating a (possibly overzealous) hypothesis. In any case Dell has dropped 25% in three months and Apple has climbed 30%. Think that says something about the "Halo" anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Or at least the market's perception of the halo...

It's odd - every time I think the market is overvaluing AAPL, they pull something like today's announcement of 1Mvid/20days on iTMS out of their hat. *shakes head*

If they can replicate the iTMS success with video? Holy bejeebus.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    The computer customer story

''To Dell and Back''
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Dell is actually in better shape than yesterday's earnings reports makes them out to be. There is huge amount of money from last quarter that due to federal regulations that they can't report until next.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Dell's former CIO jumped to Hewlett-Packard this year. He brought 5 buddies from Dell with him (now all VPs at HP). Given that HP is in disarray, one wonders why it would be appealing to move from Dell to HP?

Perhaps things at Dell are *worse* than they appear. Or maybe these execs simply felt it was time to re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

Perhaps things at Dell are *worse* than they appear. Or maybe these execs simply felt it was time to re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Yes did you see that they had a 300 million charge to repair the boards on defective OptiPlex desktop systems? Wow. 300 million. Dang. That hurts. Apparently it was due to cost cutting.

http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_ge...&date=20051101

Lesson here for Apple: Don't cut cost so hard your product fails.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

Yes did you see that they had a 300 million charge to repair the boards on defective OptiPlex desktop systems? Wow. 300 million. Dang. That hurts. Apparently it was due to cost cutting.

http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_ge...&date=20051101

Lesson here for Apple: Don't cut cost so hard your product fails.

Dell must be getting Optiplex boards from the same asian sweatshop and Apple was getting their iMac boards from.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Capacitor issues are nothing staggering and every major manufacturer has had them, same as they have all had laptop battery issues. When you sell as many computers as Dell your loss stands at a much higher number for all those replacements is all.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Capacitor issues are nothing staggering and every major manufacturer has had them, same as they have all had laptop battery issues. When you sell as many computers as Dell your loss stands at a much higher number for all those replacements is all.

I guess the reason it matters IS the scale of Dell's sales. And that it was unexpected. Stock people don't like that. Surprises.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    w00t! AAPL hits $60.05 in after hours trading. the behemoth (apple? behemoth? when did this happen ) rolls on...
  • Reply 12 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If we're talking about stock, AAPL is infinitely better than DELL. Dell has already pretty much reached market saturation, while Apple hasn't, both with iPods (there must be someone out there who doesn't have an iPod) and Macs (a huge margin *cough* 95% *cough* to expand into.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If we're talking about stock, AAPL is infinitely better than DELL. Dell has already pretty much reached market saturation, while Apple hasn't, both with iPods (there must be someone out there who doesn't have an iPod) and Macs (a huge margin *cough* 95% *cough* to expand into.

I still meet people who...

1) Have never heard of an iPod

2) Don't know what an iPod does

3) Have never seen an iPod
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I still meet people who...

1) Have never heard of an iPod

2) Don't know what an iPod does

3) Have never seen an iPod

So true, there are many millions who are potential Apple customers.

Many, many millions.

Note to self, sell the Dell, hold the Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    AAPL just crested north of $62...

Criminy.

That's equivalent to $248/share during the .com bubble days, for those keeping score. (Two splits since then.)
  • Reply 16 of 23
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Did anyone here also buy Apple stock back when it was under $20 per share?

Dobby.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Dobby.

OMG...$200 of paper rout money woulda taken care of a powerbook for college!!!

D'OH
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Raises hand.

• Reply 19 of 23
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Dobby.

Raises hand. Not enough to retire on, though. I only have 100 shares at this point.

I keep thinking, "Maybe next time AAPL dips I'll pick up a few more shares on margin and do a quick turn around when they pop back up." Thought that when they crossed $40, and $50, now $60!?! Sheesh. What happened to our little AAPL that everyone laughed at us for buying and holding on to?

They've GOT to be way overvalued at this point. Don't they? \

- Jasen.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

But none of that makes Apple's a better stock. The question is if the price is right for the growth potential you're getting.