Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.3

Comments

• Reply 41 of 142
    Actually, it's been like that for a while. Just not noticed it. It's because I'm running the Iridium theme.

http://www.sagefire.org/C1827030151/E20050812201046/
  • Reply 42 of 142
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Yeah, I noticed a number of permissions fixes after applying the 10.4.3 update. I repaired them right before updating so I know these changed for sure. They focussed primarily on the standard widgets, but my full repair list is below.

After restarting it appeared that Spotlight re-indexed my entire hard drive. Anyone else have this? Damn, still chugging away. This will take forever. \

Anyhow, here's the repair list:

Quote:

Repairing permissions for ?G5 HDX?

Determining correct file permissions.

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877

We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060

Permissions differ on ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -r-xr-xr-x

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global

Permissions corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060

Permissions differ on ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -r-xr-xr-x

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk

Permissions corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060

Permissions differ on ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -r-xr-xr-x

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4

Permissions corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060

Permissions differ on ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -r-xr-xr-x

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk

Permissions corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk

• Reply 43 of 142
    10.4.3 breaks Eyehome 1.6. Eyehome launches, runs about 30 secs then quits.
  • Reply 44 of 142
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Yeah, I noticed a number of permissions fixes after applying the 10.4.3 update. I repaired them right before updating so I know these changed for sure. They focussed primarily on the standard widgets, but my full repair list is below.

After restarting it appeared that Spotlight re-indexed my entire hard drive. Anyone else have this? Damn, still chugging away. This will take forever. \

Anyhow, here's the repair list:

I had this too and the scary part is I had them all again (didn't count, but it seems like it) when I repaired permissions a second time immediately after.
  • Reply 45 of 142
    It seems like 10.4.3 also breaks Pith Helmet for Safari, anyone else have this issue as well?
  • Reply 46 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by onit

I had this too and the scary part is I had them all again (didn't count, but it seems like it) when I repaired permissions a second time immediately after.

Erm, you do know how repair permissions works yes?

It checks the files on your disk are the same as in the Receipts. If they don't match it changes them but most of the messages are just informational. Permissions are rarely wrong. It's a hangover from OS9.

There's a peculiar urban myth built up on the forums about 'repairing permissions'.
  • Reply 47 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by zonazag

It seems like 10.4.3 also breaks Pith Helmet for Safari, anyone else have this issue as well?

PithHelmet breaks on every Safari release.
  • Reply 48 of 142
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Other applications
    • Disk Utility can verify the Mac OS X 10.4 startup volume with this update.

More like it tries to, and then promptly locked up my Powerbook.
  • Reply 49 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It's pale blue on mine...

i have a theory that Core Image Accelerated GFX cards have the blue and non-CIAGFX have the PMG5 theme.
  • Reply 50 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

i have a theory that Core Image Accelerated GFX cards have the blue and non-CIAGFX have the PMG5 theme.

Any support for that theory? (Not that I don't believe it, but a theory should be supported by some research )
  • Reply 51 of 142
    tinktink Posts: 395member

Ahhhh nothing like a wonker like myself working on a production machine.

Restarted my dual 2Ghz G5 to clear out memory, etc and repaired permissions. Downloaded the 56 mb download while I cleaned my desk and let the installer have the whole computer to itself.

The update installed and my computer restarted. Text input went wonky and my G5 went into a Kernel Panic in the first 30 seconds! WEEEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hard shut down and straight home. I'll see if she starts up and plays nice tomorrow. Ahh the looming deadlines...

Got to love giving into temptation and loading a virgin OS update on a production machine before it's been vetted.

\
  • Reply 52 of 142
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Erm, you do know how repair permissions works yes?

It checks the files on your disk are the same as in the Receipts. If they don't match it changes them but most of the messages are just informational. Permissions are rarely wrong. It's a hangover from OS9.

There's a peculiar urban myth built up on the forums about 'repairing permissions'.

Permissions might be rarely wrong, but its a stupid thing on Apple's part to keep displaying those stupid "We're using sp4ecial permissions..." messages. Who cares that they're using special permissions. It makes it sound like something keeps changing the permissions, and that they have to be continually repaired. I remember that people would say this in 10.3.x with some specific message, but I never knew for sure whether it was true, and if it was to be ignored, why does Apple insist on informing the user of pointless information. It'd be like having a big dialog on boot that says "You've successfully booted your computer"
  • Reply 53 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Any support for that theory? (Not that I don't believe it, but a theory should be supported by some research )

No, that's not it. I also have the G5 cheese grater widget background on a Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB. Core Image is alive and well, pick up widget, drop, make pretty waves. eYe candy, mmmmmM good.

I forget what it sucked down, 97MB or something, a few MB short of 100MB was the update.
  • Reply 54 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

Ahhhh nothing like a wonker like myself working on a production machine.

Restarted my dual 2Ghz G5 to clear out memory, etc and repaired permissions. Downloaded the 56 mb download while I cleaned my desk and let the installer have the whole computer to itself.

The update installed and my computer restarted. Text input went wonky and my G5 went into a Kernel Panic in the first 30 seconds! WEEEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hard shut down and straight home. I'll see if she starts up and plays nice tomorrow. Ahh the looming deadlines...

Got to love giving into temptation and loading a virgin OS update on a production machine before it's been vetted.

\

Same thing happened to me. I did a hard reboot. and everything has been fine since.
  • Reply 55 of 142
    Quote:

Nope. It was because I had the Iridium theme installed. I later corrected myself.
  • Reply 56 of 142
    Originally posted by tink

Ahhhh nothing like a wanker like myself working on a production machine. Restarted my dual 2Ghz G5 to clear out memory, etc and repaired permissions. Downloaded the 56 mb download while I cleaned my desk and let the installer have the whole computer to itself. The update installed and my computer restarted. Text input went wonky and my G5 went into a Kernel Panic in the first 30 seconds! WEEEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Hard shut down and straight home. I'll see if she starts up and plays nice tomorrow. Ahh the looming deadlines...

Got to love giving into temptation and loading a virgin OS update on a production machine before it's been vetted. \

ah.. the mac equivalent of

dancing with the devil

in the pale moonlight

with a six pack in one hand

serious drugs in the other..

• Reply 57 of 142
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

10.4.3 breaks Eyehome 1.6. Eyehome launches, runs about 30 secs then quits.

Found that going back to Eyehome 1.5.2 gives a workable solution for now.
  • Reply 58 of 142
    Quote:

I'm running an X800XT and I get the "PowerMac G5" background. I think your theory has just been PWNDZ0RZ! Still, it's a weird inconsistency...
  • Reply 59 of 142
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

Found that going back to Eyehome 1.5.2 gives a workable solution for now.

EyeTV 1.8.3 seems to work fine just for reference.
  • Reply 60 of 142
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    w00t!! i can use iTunes now for all divx/xvid TV show watching and cataloging**. Sweetness and Light... even 720p playback thru iTunes is teh r0ck now. **via quicktime pro "save as reference movie" avi --> mov "conversion" (also downloaded latest 3ivx and Divx Fusion codecs)